Electra Bicycle Company Rat Fink 3 Int Cruiser Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless steel
Front Der: Not applicable
Crankset: steel one-piece
Rear Der: Not applicable
Pedals: resin body, steel cage
Tires: Front: 26 x 2.125" whitewall, Rear: 24 x 3.00" whitewall

Matt Black   Recreational Rider [May 06, 2009]
Strength:

beautiful design comfortable and has the ability to make you smile everyday what more could you ask for?

echoing other comment prob more accesories and customisation options

WOW I am generally a 80's BMX lover having owned a 83 Raliegh super burner & still owning a 82 Custom Pink and gold Ultra Burner & a 84 Chromo burner with orignal super tuff II mags. But have always loved the look of the cruiser/chopper style bikes but the prices have always been crazy in the uk unless you want a cheap copy. stumbling across my Rat Fink was a dream come true couldn't pick it up in a car so rode it about 10miles home and boy I thought 3 speed was going to be slow/slow& slow, Far from it this baby makes my other bikes look like kids toys in speed beauty and comfort. I have never had a pedal back brake before but after the first couple of mins its easy to get the hang of and is actually easier to use and better at braking then my other bikes! the design is perfect I love ed roths designs and this bike is simply the thing of dreams for anyone who loves bikes old or young. i highly recommend it!

Similar Products Used: none
shanboo   Commuter [Oct 10, 2008]
Strength:

Quality! comfort! attion to detail! buitful bike!

gotta find parts...

I've had my 04 rat fink for almost four years now and i love it. My father boaght it for me for christmas in 04. i felt very lucky to stumbled across them before the color sceam chaged for the 05's. i don't get to ride it every day, but i have found times to ride it. it is a lil heavy, but i love it enof to tug it up the stiars. and it will fit in a bike rack, you just have to be creative. the quality is the best you could buy. i found that out the other day. i was riding home from work and got hit by a car. the bike is damiged but not ruined. it will be hard to find parts for it now though. but the best part...thanks to the low seat position and the large open design of the bike i was not seriously hurt. and the unicue size and shape of my bike helped me find the person how hit me. i now plan to fix my rat fink and also get another electra bike.

Similar Products Used: none.
Blaine W   Recreational Rider [Jul 30, 2007]
Strength:

Build quality seems excellent. Time will tell of course. Finish detail is superb. Also it is very lightweight for it's size.

I would like to see the bike offered with a Nexus 7 or 8 speed option. Also there should be a suspension seat post as standard equipment. I added one and it really becomes cushy. I'd also like to see more dedicated accessories available such as matching front fender, rear rack, front basket etc. all matching the paint scheme. This line of bikes is a terrific base but I don't think they've even scratched the surface with accessories or customization options yet.

This is a fantastic bike. I echo all the comments made about comfort, ride quality, looks. I own a Ferrari and no kidding this thing gets more comments than the car. You'll feel just like you did when you were a kid with your first bike. I'm going to give it the best rating simply because there isn't anything else available as a mass market product that has the same quality, looks, features...period. I sometimes wonder what kind of clowns these big bike companies have in thier R&D departments because they're missing the boat here.

Similar Products Used: I started with a Ghostrider and I have to admit that is my favorite ride but the Rat Fink is a very close second.
James   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2007]
Strength:

Looks, comfort, uper quiet and easy shifting.

At $250? Are you kidding???

After balking at the $600 price tag at local bike shops, I finally found a barely used Rat Fink for $250. What a score! Plenty quick with the Nexus 3 speed hub in case you race your buddies to the pub, super sweet paint work and details, and the most comfy bike I've ever owned.

Dal   Recreational Rider [May 14, 2006]
Strength:

Where do i start?!! the Rat Fink is all you need for QUALITY!,COMFORT & STLYE.the paintwork is something special,the gear system is flawless,the whelding is neat and even.and the saddle and riding position is remarkably comfortable.attention to detail is amazing.

Lots of chrome to keep maintained.

I am a proud owner of this amazing bike,and ive customized it in various ways from head lamps,pedals and even down to the dust caps of which are chrome skulls.although this bike is fun and easy to accessorise it must be said that its to be taken kinda seriously due to the whopping price tag of £450.00,But what you get for your money is a stroke of "engineering genius" this bike will look after you if you look after it!! it handles superbly and after years growing up on "mountain Bikes" is far more comfortable,due to the upright seating position and perfectly set handlebars.As mentioned in other reviews the paintwork is outstanding and almost looks like the white and electric blue flames have been hand painted on to its "curvy" frame,also the back mud guard covers the back wheel slightly giving the bike a touch of class! This bike is not built for speed but for comfort and style.i cant race my friends but on a bike like this you dont need to..just take your time.overall an amazing bike and a pleasure to ride hats off to Electra for producing such a head turner,a conversation starter and an alltime keepsake.

Similar Products Used: None...this is the only bike for me!
gotmilk?   Recreational Rider [Apr 16, 2005]
Strength:

Dynamite looks,and excellent fit and finish. Ride is soft and comfortable. Excels in it's intended funtion as a cruiser. It seems like Electra has alot of accessories on their website to customize your ride.

It's not cheap. What are you willing to pay for a small piece of your childhood? Out of the saddle hill climb: fuhgeddaboutit. Just kidding.

Let's start by saying I was a kid when the Schwinn Stingray first hit the streets. Wanted one, couldn't get one. I bought my wife a Hawaiian Cruiser but she thought we'd look weird riding together if I had my road bike next to hers. What a great rationalization eh? First off I got the edition with the orange rims, and blackwall tires which are wider as well. It has a black seat, and blue flames, and the top bar is more of a tank style than the one pictured in the review link. The rear dropouts are also chopper style which is different than the picture. The same lime green base coat is used. Comfort is the word when desccribing the ride. That big fat springer seat really soaks up the bumps, and paired with those dopey tires it is really plush. The Shimano Nexus rear hub shifts flawlessly. The bike its at it's best when coasting. That laid back, feet out front riding position with arms dangling from the ape hanger handlebars is so comfortable. This bike is absolutely killer in the looks department. The fit and finish are excellent. The welds are precise and the paint radiant. In the sun it glows. The decals are evenly placed and clear-coated. I was relaxing on a bench near a bike path the other day and three different roadies actually pulled over to check it out. If you don't buy this bike for the ride you will for the looks. This bike is for bike paths and dinking around in the neighborhood. It is too heavy and slow for anything but casual riding, but if that is what you want to do while looking cool this is a good choice. This is not a kids bike. My wife can't ride it because the pedals are too far forward and she is five three. The bike reminds me of childhood days when we would just ride back and forth in front of the house. It brings back the days of cycling for cycling's sake, not training, not commuting, just fun.

Similar Products Used: There are quite a few bikes hitting the "chopper" market these days. This one rode the best.
Jerry B   Recreational Rider [Feb 24, 2005]
Strength:

Seat is so damned comfortable. It pedals and changes gears flawlessly. Bike looks great!

Can't find any!

My goodness what a bike. It is every bit as comfortable as it looks good. I rode around the block and no less than a dozen people stopped me and asked about it. The candy green frame just dances in the sunlight.

Similar Products Used: Your kidding right?
bonemanrides   Recreational Rider [Jul 25, 2004]
Strength:

Style, stability, comfort and versatility.

Only thing I would change would be the addition of a 7 or 8-speed rear hub. That, and I had to adjust the handlebars back a little. Made it much easier on the arthritic shoulders and improved steer-ability. Another consideration may be overall size. The Rat Fink is one LONG bicycle! It BARELY fits in the 6' bed of my Tacoma pickup. Also, be prepared to field many questions from admirers.

The Rat Fink is a great ride! Very relaxed, comfortable, upright riding position. Park it in a high traffic bike rack next to the techno-bikes and watch the slack-jawed gawkers congregate. Solid all around. When riding the "Fink", the word that comes to mind is stability. Flawless shifting with the Nexus 3-speed and excellent braking. Yes, you CAN lock up that big 3" Fatti-O rear tire! Fit and finish are excellent. To the point where the "flames" and all other transfers have been clearcoated over. Polished up, the "Rat Fink" metallic green seemingly GLOWS in the sunlight. The lazer etched Rat Fink character on the chainwheel adds that custom flavour as well. With the large tyres, (24x3" rear, 26x2 1/8" front) the Fink is solid on the road and I would not hesitate to take it on a cinder rail-trail or a canal towpath. Electra's "Flat Foot" frame geometry is great. Full leg extension, yet when stopped your feet are firmly flat on the pavement. An added bonus is that you can roll the bike backwards and the crank does not interfere with the kickstand. This bicycle is just a blast to ride. No, you're not going to win any races with it, but if you like style and comfort in a casual ride, I very highly recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Similar? Not hardly, but as a point of reference I will list other 3-speed roadbikes owned: '74 Raleigh Tourist, numerous Raleigh Sports (all vintage of course) and one custom fabricated 3-peed "Chopper".