Bianchi San Jose Cyclocross Bike

• Handlebar: Bianchi alloy
  • Stem: Bianchi 3D forged
  • Pedals: Wellgo resin

charlie d   Commuter [Dec 21, 2015]
Strength:

I bought mine in 07. Currently have over 15,000 miles on it, tough as a hammer. Nice ride, predictable handling. Run it with 25 Gatorskins in the summer and 35 light knobs with fenders in the winter. Added my trusty King headset, a Brooks B17 saddle and a slight riser bar and its set. Wore through the rim sidewalls after 3 years, laced up some DT RR585's with DT spokes. I commute daily on this bike, it has been my main source of transportation for 8 years.

Front brake sucks, saddle is a joke, and I was not impressed with the headset. All easily remedied problems. Trash canned the front brake, added a Brooks saddle and a King headset. The paint is very fragile, I ended up sand blasting it a letting it rust. It now has a unique finish people love, and it doesn't shine enough to be attractive to thieves.

If you can find one of these get it. A tough durable nice riding bike that will last a long time.

Paul Musso   Recreational Rider [Dec 14, 2011]
Strength:

This bike rides beautifully. Both on the road and on trails. Easy to lean into corners. It's versatile, I use it as a commuter/beater, but also ride it off-road and race it. Flattened top tube for shouldering, braze-ons for fenders, this bike is ready for modification. With a few parts upgrades, you're ready to roll.
Also, trouble-free. Hello non-serious cyclists, trouble free bike.

Heavy. I'm not a weight weenie, but in cyclocross, as well as commuting, you're going to be shouldering the bike. For a singlespeed, it's a heavy bike.

First, a brief explanation of the purchase price. I got a team discount. I think retail price was about $700.
So, there's been times when I looked at a crappy department store bike, the ones with "full suspension" that never see dirt, and are used as commuters. I've often thought about the kind of bike I'd design for mass consumption, and this is it. This bike is the proverbial cockroach that will survive the apocalypse. Why did Bianchi stop making this bike?

Similar Products Used: I also have a Kona Major-Major. This bike is very light but doesn't handle as well.
Matt   Recreational Rider [Aug 23, 2009]
Strength:

Bombproof, comfortable, and fairly fast for a bike with 1 gear.

Braking performance

I bought this bike to spin around New York, and for commuting after I crashed in central park and totaled my road bike. It's completely bulletproof, and rides like a dream. The San Jose eats potholes and cobblestones and keeps on trucking.

Long story short, this bike is a winner, and is a perfect beater/ commuter. I swapped the fixie for a 16, because sometimes I like to stop peddling.

The only weakness I've noticed is that the braking surface on the stock wheels are weak, and don't like the rain.

Similar Products Used: None.
jobertel   Recreational Rider [Jun 18, 2009]
Strength:

Simple. Just get on it and ride.

Heavy (but bombproof). Front brake hanger doesn't really fit. Front brake chatter. Tires not up to slippery going. Went down on ice last winter, broke collar bone.

Spend more time on SJ than all other bikes. Changed freewheel to 19 and can go up most hills around here. Have taken on several 50+ mile tours. Enables me to ride w/ slower riders.

Similar Products Used: None
FunkytownNative   Recreational Rider [May 04, 2008]
Strength:

Crashed it....a lot...but it has held up. I have had all 200 lbs of me SMASH into a pothole at night that I didn't see coming while going fairly fast and flatted the tube but the wheel was fine. The hubs turn smooth, the rims rarely require truing and I ride this bike at least 4-5 times a week and hard (for a commuter) over potholes and all. Steel!

Front brake shudder. I'm suprised more people haven't mentioned this. I am one of three that I have spoken to that have this problem. But I ride it fixed + clipped in so it's very rare that I even use the brake, which is good because I had to toe the pads so far in to quiet them that they have lost quite a bit of power. It's been over a year....I wonder if it's too late to try to get a new fork from Bianchi... Oh yeah also I broke the bars clean in half at the stem....but I think I had over-tightened them. Shoulda come with a deeper drop front cable hanger too.

Nice inexpensive steel commuter/beater, relaxed geometry, nice wheels, comfy levers.

Similar Products Used: Nothing similar too extensively.
tnscoop   Recreational Rider [Mar 28, 2008]
Strength:

Nice steel frame is stiff yet compliant. Overall setup is light for what is essentially being used as a steel beater-commuter. It is simply a joy to ride and is holding up to daily abuse.

This is a $600 bike, so there are obvious weaknesses off the rack, such as the throw-away seat. The wheels are holding up OK but they are clearly heavy and the rear likes to fall slightly out of true.

I've been using the San Jose as my commuter for the past year (I typically commute 16 miles rt 4 days a week year-round). I enjoy riding this bike as much as any other bike in the stable. The frame dampens the many bumps I face on the DC commute and gives me a stable yet fast ride. The single-speed setup - I ride 42x16 freewheel - is hassle free. I've also come to really enjoy riding single-speed, which works well for a varied-pace commute. Moreover, it gives me strength training that has noticably increased my climbing pace.

Not much has been changed from the original specs. The faux fur seat is $20 junk, so it had to go, and I also switched to 28 touring slicks since I didn't really need the knobbly cyclocross tires for my all-pavement commute. And I installed some fenders. Initially I thought I'd put a carbon cyclocross fork on it, but I've come to love the solid compliance of the steel fork. Just changed out the rear brake pads but no other maintenance other than 1 flat.

jhhall   Recreational Rider [Feb 20, 2008]
Strength:

Nice frame, super fast, easy to maintain/clean. Great rain rider.

Hmmm... none.

Phenominal bike. It's my favorite in my stable. I've put more miles on this than any other bike since I bough it. It's great for training, I can already tell the difference. I'm riding it fixie - in fact, I'm taking the freewhell off. I'll probably never use it.

Similar Products Used: Kona Paddy Wagon
jimbo1968   Recreational Rider [Dec 27, 2007]
Strength:

Most comfortable bike I own. Versitile.

Wish I could fit some bigger tyres and disk brakes.

I hace ridden this bike everywhere in boise, commuted on it, rode it in the foothills. Even rode a century on it!

Similar Products Used: Redline cyclocross, SS redline monocog
Casey   Recreational Rider [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

Simple. About the only thing you can have go wrong is a flat tire, broken chain, or busted spoke (I've had all 3, but never on this bike).

A little heavy compared to some other fixies, but...
Hard to find a good match for paint touch ups.

The thing about this bike is either you buy into the fixie concept, or you don't. The bike is solid, it's taken some beatings, but it has held up well. It's nice having a simple ride, where you don't have to worry about too much going wrong. I love it, and I think if more people would give it a try, they would too.