Cannondale Cyclocross Disc Cyclocross Bike

Rear Der: Shimano Ultegra
Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 30c Hutchinson ProSeries Gold Elite

Martin Fano   [May 12, 2013]
Strength:

Easy to ride. Solid frame. Good brakes. Bought mine in 2008 and to date have done around 13,000 miles on this bike. Nothing has broken...still on the original brake pads...will replace the chain as it is starting to show signs of streching. Sora components have worked perfectly. I changed the "razor blade" seat for a moon saddle. Put schwable marathon rubber on it.I have put a Freeload bike rack on the back..thie requires no attachment points.

I have since bought a Cannodale Trail mountain bike with hydraulic disc brakes....far superior to regular wire activated disc brakes..So I prefer the hydraulic disc brakes.

After 13,000 miles it still goes very well. I keep the bike indoors and do a begining and end of season maintenance on the drive train / brakes...had the crank ball bearings cleaned and repacked.I have used the bike for regular commuting with saddle bags and for general fitness riding. I bought mine new..and did not pay as much as $1499! Very happy with this bike..no plans to replace it any time soon.

jollyGreenGiant   Commuter [Nov 07, 2008]
Strength:

Disks, light, stiff, Frame and fork are CAAD9 Cannondale, enough said. Second brake levers are nice but do take up some space, enough room for the lights but not much if any for a computer, I think I'll leave it off this bike, might be nice that way!

Wheels seem real nice so far. Bottom bracket and cranks aren't known for durability but seem OK so far. I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Cross bikes are just so good at many things, it's a shame bikes are all sold as sports things and not utilitarian in nature, I want something that's fast, efficient and comfortable but still can fit large tires, fenders and a rack and still be fast, efficient and comfortable. Darn near perfect with this bike...

Components aren't that great, but will get replaced at the first sign of weakness. Just the way it is I suppose... I'm fine with it.

Needs rack mounts! I'll have to use P-clips which I'd rather not do but there weren't many options for me in terms of Cannondale disk cross with rack mounts.

Needs fender mounts too in the rear, I'll figure something out but would rather not have to.

Actually the 2008 X7. So far so good. I have a nice 2003 R1000 for fair weather use as I commute 30 RT to work. This bike is my new winter ride. I think the Sora shifters will be better with thick winter gloves as Ultegra/105/DA are tricky when you go to push the inner lever with some think gloves on. The Sora's have the seperate thumb button. So far the lower end components shift fine ( My R1000 is full Ultegra 9-spd for comparison ), impressed so far with this bike and of course, the disks are awesome. First two commute days have been through blinding wind and rain and this bike did great. Can't wait to get some fenders and a rack mounted, will probably do SKS P50 with some Nokian W106 tires to take me through the coastal New England winter. Debating still on the rack and pannier setup...

My value rating is 5 cause I got a new bike for a used price off ebay. Overall rating is based on what it is, not some $2500 cross bike but a < $1000 cross bike with an amazing frame and brakes and just OK components, it'll be a great bike to work with over time.

Similar Products Used: Really torn between a Cannondale cross disk and Motobecane Fantom Outlaw. Disks are required for winter use in my neck of the woods, I ride inland and back to the ocean and weather can be pretty brutal.
Jon   Commuter [Nov 07, 2008]

huboon   Recreational Rider [Feb 17, 2007]
Strength:

Avid BB7 disc brakes; frame rigidity; surprisingly, I am very happy with the stock saddle (Selle Italia);

Tiagra shifters work fine but have a cheap feel; also the gearing (36T compact crank should've been a 34T) may make climbing slightly tough for tall or fat guys

I was looking for a beefy bike I could take on asphalt or dirt roads and I'm glad I got this rig. It seems at home dodging potholes on crappy old asphalt. The 35mm tires help absorb some of the shock the rigid frame transfers toward the loins. Something for big guys to note: At 6'5", I got the biggest frame available (60cm) but the 120mm stem was still too long, so after a few months of trying to adjust I finally had to break down and get a shorter stem -- much more comfortable.

Similar Products Used: none really...only my MTB and ancient Nishiki 10-speed
cyclomarc   Recreational Rider [Dec 30, 2005]
Strength:

Stiff frame, great brakes. Incredibly durable wheels, excellent Shimano dravtrain.

Seat is terrible, brakes can be noisy. Cranks a bit flexible. Worrisome flex in bars and stem on steep climbs.

I bought my Cannondale after months of research and demo rides. It was the "liveliest" of all the bikes I test rode and just felt solid, with great acceration. I decided this bike offered the best combo of value and componentry for the price and liked that the frame is built in the US. The disks are a great touch too. Since I bought it I have upgraded the cranks and BB to Carbonlord and Ultegra, both major improvements. After the upgrade the bike feels much stiffer as the stock cranks aren't up to big riders (I'm 215lbs) and hill climbs. I also upgraded the seat as the factory one is awful. XT pedals and Michelin tires round out the changes. Overall, the bike has held up well, the wheels remain true even after some highly abusive rides and a couple of cross races on very rough terrain. The brakes continue to work well, though the pads get noisy and need to be removed and deglazed occasionally. Worth the extra time for their reassuring nature in my opinion. Ride quality is good, the frame is stiff and the weight is very reasonable. These bikes climb amazingly well, though the stiff alloy frame will beat you up on rough terrain. Overall I am thrilled with my choice, great stock and even better with a few mods.

Similar Products Used: Intense Tracer MB, various cross bikes test ridden.
binfx   Road Racer [Nov 06, 2005]
Strength:

Good, steady handling; disc brakes; good shifting; frame endures the elements (and crashes); brake interceptors

Some cheap/weak components; small chainring; cabling

Disc brakes have maintained good stopping power on all slopes and conditions; they take some fine tuning and adjustment every month or so. On sharp corners, the frame will flex just enough to cause the brakes to rub against the brake pad lightly. When inserting the wheels, I've found it easier to get the skewer in position, clamp down on the brake, and tighten the QR. The stock brake interceptors have a little less pull on the brakes than the brake levers (as expected for the size). They're great during commuting and touring, and I've gotten so used to having brakes on the tops that I grab for them when riding other people's bikes. I've not touched them during cross. A nice addition, anyway. Handlebar (stock, Cinelli Altera) cracked at 4000 miles. Consider replacing the bars with a stronger set, especially if you use your arms for power on a regular basis. The stem (stock, Cannondale) has been doing a poor job of holding the bars in place. Frame has been comfortable enough, a bit of flex without being unsteady. Held up to summer touring and towing a trailer. Make sure to try hill climbing and cross dismounts to make sure this is still stiff enough for your preferences. For racing, consider getting a different chainring set (stock: 38/46 on the '05 -- the '06 has a different setup). The 46 isn't always fast enough for road races, and the 38 doesn't have great hill acceleration for cross races. Also, double check the regulations for disc brakes; they're outlawed under UCI, but are still legal (for a short time longer) under USCF. There's massive clearance for larger tires, if desired. The stock Hutchinson Pros (700x30) have been pinch flatting quite a bit during cross races, both front and back (at 50-60 psi; max of 70 psi, rec'd pressure of 36 psi). Michelin Carbons have held up spectacularly during the road season. Slinging the bike on a shoulder is fine, pretty good balance, and no cables under the top tube. Just watch the shifter cables on the downtube. As a caution, the cables come straight off the handlebars, so you won't be able to grab around the front of the bike (if that's your style). Overall, this has been a good bike. It has held up to road racing, cross racing, touring, and commuting. Consider replacing a few parts to make it a more dependable setup, though.

Similar Products Used: Test rode Poprad, X10, Redline, and a few random road bikes
FatA**   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2005]
Strength:

Disc brakes, stiff frame! (Why are there no real road bikes with disk brakes?!)

Gaudy graphics, no rear upper tube rack mount hole...

Happened up on this and was immediately sold by the disc brakes. LOVE them! I need to drop lbs & they will stop me no matter what. My bike is an 58cm '03 with gaudy graphics. Like the stiff frame but not too harsh. Rides & stops extremely well!

Similar Products Used: Trek 8500 Mtn Bike w/disc brakes. This is WAY nicer to ride the streets!
kiwibum   Recreational Rider [Mar 08, 2005]
Strength:

BRAKES wet or dry no matter how steep the hill. Also the strong frame with the comfortable geometry.

The squeaky seat (probably due to my weight anyway)and high gearing for this fat old guy rider.

I was really looking for an SR800 but it was unavailable so I tried the Cyclocross Disc. It was an instant hit. WARNING: If you have never used disc brakes before, be sure to hang on and be securely IN the saddle before use! I nearly went faster than the bike! After regaining my composure and doing a quick 360 to see if anyone saw me, I got down to business. I love this stiff bike and everything that comes with it. I weigh 225 lbs. and needed a very strong capable frame with brakes that will stop me in the hilly, wet country where I live. The Cannondale Cyclocross Disc handles the job without question.

Similar Products Used: Daccordi Steel road bike, Cannondale F300, Trek 850
theraindog   Triathlete [Feb 25, 2005]
Strength:

Great brakes. Very responsive, practically jumps out of corners. Surprisingly light.

Gearing isn't great for steep climbs. Gaudy graphics.

Unless you count a Brodie Romax I've been using as a touring/commuter/city bike for the past several years, the Cyclocross Disc is the first 'cross bike I've really had. I wanted a bike that would keep the easy singletrack in my neighborhood interesting (easy singletrack is just no fun on a 5/5" full suspension mountain bike) and keep me off the otherwise boring rollers in the winter and the Cyclocross Disc delivered in spades. The bike is surprisingly light and fun to ride on the relatively short amount of pavement I have to endure to get to the trail head, and once there, it's a revelation. Frame's light and after three months of occasionally less than graceful riding, the wheels are still perfectly true. Brakes have been fabulous in both wet and dry, which is the real reason I got the bike. I find myself wanting to take the bike on more and more challenging singletrack, which puts me at odds with the skinnier tires and knee-busting gearing. Both are fine for "typical" riding, but steep climbs and root-riddled singletrack present more of a challenge. I also have to gripe about the bike's graphics. The color is great and the clear coat aluminum is a nice touch, but Cannondale slapped its name on every square inch of this bike. The branding's a little excessive to say the least. I'm not sure putting a white seat on a bike that will probably see a lot of mud is such a good idea, either.