Ibex Bicycles X-Ray Race Cyclocross Bike

• 700c Sun ME14A Rims
  • Factory direct price: $999

• User Reviews (8)

TIM MORELLO   Recreational Rider [Apr 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Great customer service from IBEX.
    Great components (Shimano 105, AVID).
    Handles great on descents.
    Climbs well (very little bottom bracket flex even in standing climbs while mashing the pedals)
    Comfortable seat.

The pedals had to go. (but only because I'm using it primarily on the road)

I ordered the X-RAY Race from IBEX and received it in Japan 7 days later. This was mailed to an FPO (Service members take note) I had it out of the box and rolling in 20 minutes, and I'm only an average mechanic. IBEX supplied all the tools you needed to put it together. It even came with a pedal wrench and high quality multi-tool. I use it primarily as a training bike foor inclement weather and as a commuter. I wish I knew about IBEX years ago.

Similar Products Used: None
    current207   Road Racer [Nov 08, 2007]
    Strength:

everything very capable race rig.

cable stop on the rear is to close to the tire, not optimal for cantilever setup

Great Value,same spec'd bike by the big names cost a lot more.

Similar Products Used: Redline conquest, trek xo 1
    Alex Miya   Recreational Rider [Aug 03, 2007]
    Strength:

great components

Really concerned with the toe rubbing on the front tire when peddling.

GReat components, have only ridden a couple of times since I purchased it. Very concerned about the front tire rubbing up against my toes when trail riding, more than a ten degree turn of the handle bars+peddling=toes rub, and possible serious wreck.

handsomebrianmn   Recreational Rider [Jul 11, 2006]
    Strength:

The service from IBEX is great - this was the first time buying a bike unseen, and I am happy with it. So happy that I bought another (full suspension) bike from them.
    Bang for the buck is great
    Carbon fork soaks up a lot of beating.
    Put slicks on this bike, and you'll be hanging with $1000+ bikes on the road

Unless you are comfortable assembling your own bike, this might not be for you

I've been riding this bike for a little over a year, and am nothing but satisfied with it. My main use for it is not cyclocross though - I bought it mainly as a back-up road bike that I could take on gravel roads (my carbon fiber frame doesn't like them). This bike climbs great, since it has shorter cranks and smaller chainring than a standard road bike. Overall - a great deal, quality (midrange) components, a fantastic service

Similar Products Used: kestrel 200sci - great bike, but have barely ridden it recently. I don't feel guilty beating up on the Ibex, and the fit of the Ibex is better for me as well.
    bcullins   Road Racer [Dec 21, 2005]
    Strength:

Light, good parts, handles well, better value than other 105 equipped bikes, frame is stiff enough for 180 lb + riders.

Bar is too narrow for riders who fit on a 56 or larger frame, stem should be longr (my opinion only), and the stock straddle cables and carrier that come with the Avid brakes are terrible (replace them with the 50 mm Salso carriers).

Well designed, solid parts, came pre-assembled from IBEX. The bike is a great value for the price, handles well, and is reasonably light. The only things I changed from stock were the dalddle (I like my old one), the bar (to a 44), the stem (to a 120), and the straddle cable/carrier (throw the stock ones away!). I've raced 8 CX events on it this season and it is certainly a race worthy bike.

Similar Products Used: Redline Conquest
    BAMBAMBAM   Commuter [Nov 22, 2005]
    Strength:

Light, no worries about small potholes, etc.

Would've liked a color choice, but most people think I've spent $$$ on the bike.

Great bike for commuting, tough and fast. The geometry is comfortable. Customer service from Ibex was excellent. The level of support was clearly better than what I got from the LBS. Ibex tries harder.

Similar Products Used: I've been a mtn biker mostly, so this is the first cyclocross bike I've had. And my first "roadish" bike.
    xcountry41   Road Racer [Sep 21, 2005]
    Strength:

Exceptional value! no spec. shortcuts,even the cables and chain are high quality name brands. lightweight. Handles very well

None ,other than the inability to test ride it unless you know someone that owns one.

I have wanted a cyclocross bike for some time now. Once considered myself to be "mountain biker" now morphing into a cyclist. With my kids racing both cross country and road, my bicycle buying resources need to be carefully managed.I have always liked KONA's and Jake the snake is the cross bike I thought that I would buy if I went "off the showroom floor". I noticed the IBEX ads and links online and was impressed with the spec. and pricing.Full 105 drivetrain,SUN me14a rims, carbon fork Avid shorty brakes,Ritchey tires, post and cockpit,FSA headset,and Truvativ elita cross crankset.on a tripple butted aluminum frame. for 899.00 USD was to hard to pass up. I love my steel cross country hardtail and would have liked to maybe build up a poprad frame or something like that but I could'nt have got the parts together for even close to what I paid for my IBEX X-ray. Thats all Theoretical stuff! The best part is that when the bike showed up it was very impressive ,out of the box.High quality beautiful paint job. nice welds, and only dissasemled enough to ship I have a few hours on it now and I'm very happy with my choice. I have done laps on a cyclocross course in Edmonton, ridden pavement,fast river valley trails,rooty singletrack and I'm betting there's not another aluminum framed cyclocross bike within $500.00-1000.00 of te X-ray that would perform any better for it's intended use! As I was buying online,choosing the right size frame to fit me was a major condideration. I'm 5'-8" with a 31.5 inseam ,I ride a medium Giant compact frame road bike and a 18.5" hardtail cross country bike. The 54cm X-ray was the right choice! it fits me perfectly. so you can trust IBEX's sizing chart on the website to be pretty darn close. Customer service has been exceptional and patient whether over the toll free number or e-mail. The fellow I talked to was Jack.I would definetley reccomend The IBEX X-ray to anyone looking for a raceable,reasonably priced cyclocross bike. My first "Cross" race is this weekend,I'm looking forward to it!! I was impressed

Similar Products Used: Kelly Knobby cross-Test ride Kona Jake the snake-Test ride 98 DeKerf Team SL hardtail- my mountain bike. 2004 Giant TCR 1 composite- my road bike
    jrgary   Recreational Rider [Sep 18, 2005]
    Strength:

Excellent handling Good component selection, especially at this price point Great saddle - Try a remount at speed on a stiff saddle! Killer value - my friends were impressed, and we're a bunch of bike geeks. Came with all tools necessary for assembly.

Wheels a little heavy for a guy like me. Assembly only took 2 beers. (fast!)

I've been waiting until my first cyclocross race to review this bike, just to be fair. Excellent value for the money. Good component selection, and attention to detail. The rear derailleur cable even has a rubber seal boot, which is a real plus on a CX bike. The shifting was spot-on out of the box, and the brakes were well set up. The bike arrived in very good condition, save for an out-of-true rear wheel, which I'll chalk up to UPS, given the condition of the box. Speaking of wheels, they are a little heavy for a rider like me (155 pounds) but, as today's course was very rough, I'll keep them in my arsenal. I'll look for some lighter wheels for the smoother courses. The bike is not featherlight, but is no slug, either. I had no worries about slamming it through the rough stuff, and the bike didn't complain. Good mud clearance, though that's not an issue here in the middle of California. The bike has absolutely no bad habits, and that is a plus in a race bike. Very predictable, and confidence inspiring. I did change the bar and stem to suit my needs, and the Ritchey bar is not conducive to mounting "cross-top" levers, as the taper is too close to the stem clamp. This is going to prove to be a good choice for a first cyclocross race bike, and much more economical than most of the competetion.

Similar Products Used: None - this is my first CX bike.