Ibis Cycles Inc. Hakkalugi Cyclocross Bike

Ibis Hakkalugi Cyclocross Bike Ibis was born 30 years ago in Mendocino County and made a name for itself building exquisite steel bikes. Ibis has changed quite a bit in those 30 years, but the core of their philospohy has never changed. Ib...

Wildmtnchild   Recreational Rider [Jan 20, 2015]
Strength:

Fast, responsive. I love how the power transfer from my pedal strokes just rockets this bike up the steepest hills. This is my first carbon fiber bike and I must say, it really does make for a stiffer platform. I also am suprised with how ridable it is on bumpy terrain. I expected it to be bounce me around but the wheels sucked up smaller bumps. Also stuck well on sharp, dusty turns. It stops so quickly, which is nice when you're screaming downhill in the drops.

I love this bike. I'm trying to think of a weakness, but for my uses (commuting, off road trails, easier mountain biking routes) it's perfect. I have yet to try it for bikepacking, which was my original intent in purchasing it. After doing two long bikepacking trails (Colorado Trail, portion of the AZ trail) this summer I began dreaming of a much lighter set-up. Ideally I would like to put a low travel front suspension fork on the front. We'll see.

I love this bike. It's just plain fun. Highly recommended.

Mr Irvine   Road Racer [May 10, 2013]
Strength:

Super light weight (17lbs), climbs great (surprisingly a lot of traction from a 34mm tire) , handles the descents well (again the tires at 37psi and the brakes).

The gearing is a little tall (36x25) for some of the rides I like to do. Not sure if the wheels are going to hold up (3 months / 350 miles with some loose spokes)

I actually have the new Ibis Hakka Disc bike and love it. I mostly use this bike as an adventure bike on easier (less technical) mountain bike trails connected to roads. Handles really well on the road and rides quite fast with a specialized tracer on the front and a captain on the back at about 37psi each. Off road climbs fires roads like a beast because it's so light compared to my Mojo SL. Discs brakes are great on the dirt because you can be so much more relaxed without a death grip on the leavers. Has not been raced yet so do have any advice in that realm. Ideal for someone who has to ride to the trails but wants to get there in a hurry or likes to connect a bunch of trials via roads.

Similar Products Used: Super old Rock Lobster
Scott Minard   Road Racer [Oct 13, 2009]
Strength:

Light, looks good. With a moderate build (campy Centuar, 32 spoke wheels and all aluminum parts it is around 17lbs)

Not crazy about down tube cables and the chain stay bb junction can collect mud.

Had the old steel one which I loved. Sadly it was stolen. I really like the new carbon model. I was afraid I would break it(it feels really light to me) but so far so good. I have done a few local CX races and it has held up well.

Similar Products Used: Steel Lugi (RIP)
benja55   Recreational Rider [Aug 21, 2009]
Strength:

Weight and handling. This bike is light and quick but has a really nice, neutral feel to it, something of an Ibis signature I'd say.

Hmmmm... Cost? But its really not that expensive when you consider what you're getting. Not sure how I feel about the tires yet, but that has everything to do with me, the terrain, pressure etc.

Just took delivery of a 2009 Hakka. It is a beautiful frame. Love the color and the HandJob. Went with the stock Ibis CX parts pick which is a mix of Ultegra and Ibis stock bits. It all seems well thought out and no real surprises. Haven't had a ton of miles on it yet, but the few I have, have been super satisfying. The thing just wants to go fast.

Similar Products Used: Various steel CX bikes.