Kona Major Jake Cyclocross Bike

• Rims: Ksyrium Equipe Wheelset
  • Saddle: WTB Rocket V Street Smart
  • Seatpost: Easton EA50

Fifidriver   Road Racer [Sep 28, 2009]
Strength:

High quality, Easton Ultralite tubing, great geometry, carbon seat stays smooth vibration (not sure why Kona did away with them), cool orange metallic color.

none that I can find

Built up from frame purchased on closeout. I use it to race cross and road, just change the tires... Handling is perfect, like it knows what you want to do, high quality paint, super light. Entire setup is just over 18lbs for a size 56. I like sitting up a little higher than my road group, you can see just over their heads and higher bb clearance means easy pedalling in cornering and no issues off road. Handles like a dream in the cross races, and flattened top tube feels good on shoulder. Nice to have two bikes in one for running with the mb crowd as well as the road group. When camping I can bring one bike and 2 sets of tires, do the road and explore and then hit the trails, it goes almost anywhere. I have really abused this bike with no problems.

Similar Products Used: my first road/cyclocross bike
cuposurf   Road Racer [Jan 27, 2009]
Strength:

Light, fast, sure tracking.

Possible longevity issues with tubing or welds. Thin tubes might dent more easily than a Jake. Only available in orange.

I built up this Cyclocross rig from the frame and fork. 07 MJ frame and EC90X fork with 9 speed Ultegra. EA70 wheels and EC70 seatpost. This setup performed great for me during the 08 Cyclocross season. This was my first go at cross coming from road racing. Smooth tracking in the corners and quick steering. Stiff frame that takes out the high end vibration. Tow in the brake pads and eliminate braking shudder. My 60cm frame as set up weighs 20.5 lbs. During the off season this bike has become my commuter rig with a seatpost mounted rack, pannier bag, and slicks.

Similar Products Used: None. Only road bikes and mt. bikes.
JW   Commuter [Oct 21, 2008]

Brakes. Terrible! I swapped them out for the brakes on an old Kona Hot. Much better. Also put a shorter, more upright stem on it. Us old guys with neck issues need a break!

Could not be more happy. Lots of bike for the $.

Mg1   Recreational Rider [May 26, 2007]
Strength:

Carbon stays smooth out the ride
Tracks like its on rails

-Requires patience to eliminate shuddering from front brakes...not an uncommon problems on cross bikes?
-Would prefer top mounted cables
-Had to get the bottom bracket faced to eliminate drag. LBS mechanics thought I was nuts, but it really smoothed it out. Thanks, Zinn.

Great riding bike, excellent frame & fork + right mix of components for the $.
Only downside...now my road bike is collecting dust while I explore all the dirt roads and fire trails I've ridden past for the last decade.