LeMond Bicycles Poprad Disc Cyclocross Bike

• Stem: Bontrager Select
  • Saddle: Bontrager Race Lux w/Hollow cromoly rails
  • Seatpost: Bontrager Carbon

Chiarored   Recreational Rider [Jan 17, 2009]
Strength:

Fast, efficient and reasonably decent groupo for the money. Amazing versatility. I even ride it in the snow.

none... except my first Bontrager carbonfiber fork was slightly skewed and weak. They immediately replace it and this one has been great. True it is pretty flexible but it appears to be plenty strong and the give in the fork combined with the steel frame is the key to its astounding ride in the rough.

I live in the country. I previously rode only mountain bikes, but terrain requiring a mountain bike is at least 10 to 20 miles into the mountains so I decided I could ride a cx bike on the dirt gravel and rough highways that surround me. What really surprised me was how able the bike is on really quite rough terrain. Honestly even for fire roads the poprad gives a more efficient and responsive ride and is far more inspiring than a full suspension XC bike. FOr really rough terrain jumps and rides among the redwood roots like I encounter in Santa Cruz, CA my full suspension bike is indispensible but for everything else this disc poprad is amazing.

Similar Products Used: custom built road bikes and mountain bikes... Haro full suspension made by Intense.
slucke   Recreational Rider [Nov 20, 2008]
Strength:

Versatility, Nice Steel Ride.

None yet.

I have the 2008 Poprad Disk. This bike has been used as a trail bike, commuter, and wet weather club rider. It is the most versatile bike I've owned. I went with disk brakes as this bike seldom sees dry weather and I burned though brake pads and rims with my last rain bike. Don't judge the disk brakes until they have had a chance to break-in. If I only rode pavement, I would say the fork is a bit flexy, but it really works well for the urban trails and mountain fire roads.

Similar Products Used: Salsa La Cruz, Traitor Reuben
joeleo64   Recreational Rider [Nov 03, 2008]
Strength:

Good quality components
Disc breaks are easy to adjust
Light for a steel frame
Built by Trek

Weak wheels on a cross bike
Flexy fork

This is my first road bike and I did a lot of research before I made the purchase. I considered the Trek Portland, & Surly Long Haul Trucker, but the Poprad met all my criteria. In the end I loved the steel frame and sweet look of the Poprad. The disc brakes work great and the rest of the components work flawlessly. I did notice that the front fork is very flexy, but it hasn't been a problem for me. The stock seat sucks, I replaced it first thing.

daniel smith   Commuter [Jun 09, 2008]
Strength:

Nice balance of strength and weight
as others said, I just want to go ride.
sweet paint
sweet bike

fork is REAL flexy, but it sure looks sweet. Will likely replace, someday.
Brakes are good, but hard to fine-tune

Overall, I think this is a GREAT bike. I'm not a cyclocrosser, just a committed commuter. I ride around alot of big hills, and the discs are working well. I have barend shifters instead of on levers. Otherwise, stock.

Similar Products Used: nothing like this
exmime   Recreational Rider [Oct 05, 2007]
Strength:

Steel Frame is solid, Brakes make the difference on the Steeps

Stock components, Makes you want to upgrade, But they're solid, and you really don't need them. Unless you're a weight weenie

I love this rig, strong and gets the job don e. I have a 1000 miles into it and this thing makes me want to ride. I just get excited to ride it. Its good. Doesn't cost too much to get into the whole cross thing and all the stock parts make it a one stop shop for cross. Nothing else out there is as good at this price point. Get one

Similar Products Used: Various MTBs for 20 years
Chris Greene   Road Racer [Aug 24, 2007]
Strength:

Everything

Wish it had hydraulic instead of mechanicals.

Love this bike!!!!!!!!!!I've put 1000 miles on it since it was purchased a couple of montsh ago. Did a long tour from San Jose to Santa Barbara in a few days with panniers, commute on it daily to work, and have used it off-road exclusively for 2 months. In fact I think I'm faster on most off road with this bike than I am with my full suspension Santa Cruz.

OldTrekkie   Triathlete [Dec 20, 2006]
Strength:

Steel is real! And strong!
Fantastic paint and low-key graphics.
Love the discs in the wet!
Gimme some mud, gravel or rain and I'll show you what I'm for!

Heavy
It's no Colnago on the road.
If you want to be Sven Nys, forget it, buy a lighter bike.

Having tired of rebuilding wheels annually on my commuter, I wanted a bike with disc brakes. I live in the North-"wet". I decided a cross bike was the way to go for the commute and as a winter bike. The Poprad is one of the few with discs.

The bike isn't light and isn't that reponsive. But ... it is solid as a rock in the slop, on the bumps, moderate trails and in the rain. I have swapped the cross tires for some rain tread 28's for the commute.

There is also the "cool factor". "What kind of bike is that?" "I've never seen a road bike with disc brakes." "I've never seen a road bike with mountain tires." Plus there is the added bonus of the steel frame!

Similar Products Used: Not similar but....

Trek 5200