LeMond Bicycles Poprad Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 32c Bontrager Jones CX

[Oct 21, 2009]
wyo-mig

Strength:

Steel is for real ... inexpensive, lightweight and durable - oh did I mention comfort??

Custom Build - bought frame from shop employee that got it as a warranty replacement for another Trek owned brand frame failure - Lucky Me!! I've been wanting a Poprad for some time but didn't want the complete bike as I like to hand-pick components and was looking to build a nice lightweight steel CX bike. I thought about going custom but the LeMond geometry is perfect for me (52cm) and Reynolds 853 makes for a pretty nice frame plus the $$ I saved will go towards a trick wheelset soon. Great ride characteristics, steel rear end has enough flex to take the edge off of bumpy courses but transfer power to the pedals when you jump on them!

Novara Element CX bike - Plain Jane 7075 frame w/ disk brakes, 1x9 drivetrain and ritchey bar/stem. Heavy and rigid in a bad way!

[May 26, 2007]
Andy C

Strength:

Frame, Frame, and Oh, the Frame!! Just a smooth ride. Nice and soft. I guess it has been a while since i rode a steel frame.

Saddle is a bit uncomfortable. I am still shopping for a new one.

I found a brand new 2006 model on closeout at an LBS--drove straight over to purchase that night! Awesome value, and a very fun bike. Steel frame is plush compared to my Cannondale R5000 I was commuting with. I now choose the Poprad for commuting and weekend hop arounds. I like the extra inside brake levers. Wheels and frame can take the hits of bad roads, railroad track crossings, gravel trails, and gentle curb jumps. The bike has performed flawlessly and exceeded expectations for comfort. I have even taken it on some local dirt single track & fire trails without issue (aside from higer gearing).

I have never owned a Cyclocross bike, only street or mountain dedicated machines.

[Apr 18, 2007]
Scott Campbell

Strength:

Set up for touring as well as cross. That’s great. No rim-wear with disk breaks. High Quality steel. Comfortable to ride. Exceptional off-road handling.

1. This bike retails for more than the comparably outfitted 2003 Lemond Road bikes built exclusively with Reynolds 853 steel. Both this frame and the old frames are high quality steels, but the older frames were much stiffer around the bottom bracket as tubes were ovalized, chain stay shapes were more refined, etc. Less attention to detail on this frame and obviously more cost savings to Lemond.
2. Very disappointing rear brake cable routing design. Riding gritty trails in rain, the cable housing over the bottom bracket clogs in a very short period of time and doesn’t allow the cable to release. What cross rider would choose this design?
3. This fork is less than satisfactory. I’ve replaced it once via warranty because either the crown was drilled incorrectly or the carbon was inserted incorrectly and, because of this, the fork was visibly misaligned (although still true at the dropouts and entering the headtube). There is also a lot of flex in this fork…way too much. Bontrager retails this fork for $300. For this price, the tolerances on this fork should be exceptional and the design should be more sophisticated so as to reduce flex.

The frame is not as refined as Lemond’s previous high-end steel frames. For the price of the bike it should be. Non-ovalized tubes result in a lot of bottom bracket sway, and cable routing problems indicate of a lack of practical design consideration. Poor tolerances and quality control problems on a fork whose design is not very great to begin with—the Bontrager Satellite Elite—need attention.

2003 Lemond Zurich (a great bike)

[Apr 07, 2007]
cooper411

Strength:

Smooth steel ride, but not too heavy. 105 gruppo (the new 105 really is almost as good as Ultegra now), cross specific 48/36 crank.

Must test ride since sizing is very different than other models I tested, for racing I will probably put on a faster wheel set.

Wanted a crossbike for bad weather training, pulling my kid's trailer (can't do that on my carbon racing bike) and a cross race or two in the fall. After testing the Specialized TriCross (2006 and 2006 Sports and Comps), Trek X01, Cannondale, Bianchi, Kona Jake the Snake, Cross Check, etc. I found the Poprad to be the smoothest riding bike and best parts mix for the money.

[Dec 21, 2006]
eric

Strength:

Faster & more comfortable than any road bike I tested. Reynolds steel frame is very comfortable & forgiving, so I can spend more hours on singletrack on this ride than my aluminum full suspension!

I'd race wheels lighter than Matrix Aurora's, but after all I've ridden them through, they still hold up! (hardly a disappointment.)

Poprad takes the pain, smiling thru the bumps & gravel & all! Full group of original parts (except tires & chain) still holding up after 150-400 mi/week for 6yrs. Great bike to commute to work, hit the trails, or climb mountains with.

I own 8 bikes, but Poprad definately gets more use than all the rest combined.

[Dec 16, 2006]
bmoc11102

Strength:

Steel is smooth and strong. Shimano 105 drivetrain is smooth. Bontrager wheels are pretty sweet--light and strong.

Fork chatter at first, but swapped out the pads for Eagle Kool-Stop dual compound, and problems solved--no squeal (unless wet), and no chatter.

I live in a small apartment, and can't accumulate bike as I'd like to, so this one had to fit all bills. Don't compete. Ride on the road (60-70mi on weekends, centuries, etc.), commute by bike, and wanted to get back into off-road riding. A cross bike seemed the obvious choice. Poprad had a good combination of quality kit, steel frame, and classic styling--all important to me.

Hadn't gotten off-road until last week, and really discovered how versatile the bike and stock kit are. Banged it around on some single-track, and it performed flawlessly--no drivetrain issues, true wheels (!), grippy tires, smooth ride.

This is my first cross bike.

[Sep 07, 2006]
Kiley

Strength:

Decent components off the rack. Lovely well made in USA frame (steel!).

Frame is a little long for its height making it a tough fit for any build but the short legged, long torsoed. Fork is the weakest quality component.

Fun, quick, light.

Ridden other CX bikes (Kona, Trek, Raleigh)

[Apr 25, 2006]
ronaldo

Strength:

just look at it. A true jack of all trades bike. Excels in rough terrain, comparable speed to a road bike. Looks and feels refined.

Okay, honestly I have one issue which is quickly becoming a non-issue. The weight. It's probably 22 pounds with pedals, computer, cages, etc. But it's such a minor trade off. Plus I don't race so the only time I carry this bike on my shoulder is when I go up the stairs to my apartment.

This review pertains to the 2006 poprad disc.

I have to say that purhcasing this bike was a complete "left field" manuever for me. For months i've been testing and researching road bikes. I've owned an aluminum roadbike (specialized allez) before and was convinced that a pure road bike is superior to anything on two wheels. I've always been familiar and somewhat intrigued by cyclocross but was never convinced that that type of bicycle will satisfy me.

Until I saw the Poprad.
This bike has the character, functionality, style and grace to arrest and captivate you. Disc brakes, fat tires, orange paint scheme, the appeal of classic steel proportions. It's the ideal bike for non-racers or realists that want a cool, emotionaly satisfying bike. It's just plain sweet, I've got nothing bad to say about it. Nothing at all.

Riding this thing instills confidence in the rider to take on anything. There is no such thing as a challenge when one is on the bike. You can practically ride it on any surface and during any condition. Just point it in any direction, pedal and go. Highly recomended!

specialized allez elite.
cannondale cyclocross (tested)
felt f1x (tested)
too many tested bikes to list

[Nov 01, 2005]
rgb13

One thing I did forget was front 53/39 setup. It really needs compact crankset, 48 or 46 with 38 or 36 would be much better. The larger cranksets are outdated, we turn hugher RPM's, and are more used to mountain bike gearing than old knee mashers. Also, tires are not spec'd to race, just for overall use.

[Nov 01, 2005]
rgb13

Strength:

853 Reynolds frame, Shimano 105 throughout, Bontrager, what's not to like. Comes race-ready which means alot. I got a leftover with Black/Blue frame, great look. Guys at Knapps are knowledgeable and their shop is packed with product, free lifetime gear adjustments, who does that?

Everybody sights weight, but comfort means alot in 30-45 minutes of hell. If you want a lighter bike, don't eat breakfast on race day.

Bike is great right out of box. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs., and this frame and geometry fit perfectly. Square geometry(59x59), and forgiving, absorbing 853 make this an especially comfortable ride for taller, heavier rider. Aluminum bikes, even with carbon forks can shake a rider's teeth out, and added weight of steel is more than made up for by non-fatigueing ride. Lighter is not faster in the long run. I tested or read up on everything under the sun, and this was unbeatable for price/performance.

Jamis Nova(owned)-lower Shimano group, more expensive & heavier. Fuji, Bianchi, other marques- either lower group for same money, or bone shaking Aluminum. Leave Aluminum to hold refreshments after race, steel is real.