Leopard Cycles CX1 Cyclocross Bike

CX1

The Leopard CX1 cyclocross bike. Ridden and race proven by four time national champion Joachim Parbo on demanding UCI cyclocross courses in Europe and the US. Described by Cyclocross Magazine as “...a do-it-all machine that can tackle all terrain...” and “..one of the lightest ‘cross frames available...”. Tube-to-tube construction 12K weave finish Frame weight: 1100 grams (54cm top tube) 4.5 star stiffness and 5 star compliance.

Tim Lydon   Road Racer [Nov 22, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight.Stiff. Comfortable. Good handling. Durable finish.

Noticed some front-end chatter, but never in a race. Small main triangle might make it more difficult for some to shoulder the bike.

I purchased my Leopard CX1 frame with a club discount in November, 2011. After building it up, I won my first Masters 45 "A" cyclocross race; BASP Sierra Point Night Cross. This season has been even better, having won 4 races on my CX1 so far. The Leopard CX1 is great cyclocross bike for racers. The frame is lightweight and stiff. It handles well and is comfortable. The frame has a compact frame with a slightly sloping top-tube, which in combination with the oversize carbon-fiber tubing makes the main triangle a bit smaller than my previous race bike. I initially thought this would make it more difficult to get my elbow through when shouldering the bike for run-ups, but in practice it wasn't a big issue after all (I guess we don't have that many run-ups in our races). After a full year of racing use, the frame is still in great shape. It has a couple of small chips and had slightly bent derailleur hanger, which I straightened, but otherwise it is still in near-perfect condition.

Similar Products Used: Orbea Lobular
kiersta   [Nov 09, 2012]
Strength:

Light frame, Longer wheelbase, No toe overlap, Efficient geometry

I borrowed a Leopard CX1 while my own bike was in the shop for repair. I couldn’t believe the difference! I had to get a Leopard, too! (And I did!) The Leopard CX1 is more responsive and more efficient than my old cross bike, and the geometry allows for awesome aggressive steering in the tight and twisty turns that most cross courses offer. On the CX1 I have the same confidence to take turns faster, and maneuver through technical sections with speed as if on my mountain bike. The longer wheelbase gives a comfortable (not cramped) cockpit and thankfully has no toe overlap. The lightness of the frame adds to the magic of this bike. I love this bike!

Chris G   [Oct 30, 2012]
Strength:

The frame is super light. The bike is stiff laterally, which makes it a good climber and sprinter. There is enough vertical compliance to help smooth out the bumpy courses. Customization: You get to pick the group, components, wheels and the paint you want. Customer service from Leopard is excellent!

I haven't found any so far.

This is my second season racing and training on the Leopard Cx1. The frame is incredibly light and responsive. The geometry works perfectly for me. The bottom bracket is lower than you might find on some Cx bikes. The lower bottom bracket works great on the California Cx courses I race on. The bike's geometry instantly made me a better bike handler. Steering is precise.

I'm a 185lb rider and a bit of a pedal masher. I find the Cx1 rewards hard riding with very snappy acceleration. The bike also has just enough vertical compliance to help smooth out the bumpy sections of the course, which helps save precious energy. I've had more than a few crashes on the Cx1 and haven't damaged the frame.

At about 1100gms for the frame, it's not to hard to spec a bike that weighs around 16lbs. Shouldering this bike for run-ups is a pleasure. The large top tube sits comfortably on your shoulder. Cable routing is along the top of the top tube.

My previous Cx bike was the Felt Fx1. The Leopard Cx1 was a substantial upgrade and has helped make me a better rider.

Similar Products Used: Felt Fx1
aaronf   [Oct 16, 2012]
Strength:

I got this bike used from a friend who raced on it for a year. It has held up great. I was a little concerned getting a used frame from a small company but the bike is a pleasure to ride. Light weight, stiff and responsive. I switch over from an aluminum/carbon Kona Major Jake and what a difference. The tubing and geometry are ideal for my riding style.

I have recently been taking the bike out on 40 mile road/dirt rides when the roads are wet and I don't want to use my road bike. I love it. It climbs well on the paved roads and then is very responsive on long 10 mile dirt road descents. Best of both worlds!

I love to support a small company especially when they put out a great product and even better service.

Overall, I think the frames price point is a little high. I am not sure but I am told that they buy their frames from China. I have a hard time convincing my friends to jump on the bandwagon because of this. But… I can't complain about the bike and I see no weakness in the quality thus far.

Great bike and I would recommend it to a friend who is looking for a good all around cross bike.

Karen brems   Road Racer [Aug 18, 2012]
Strength:

Weight and comfort. I came from a Scandium frame, and the Leopard is noticeably smoother over bumps, which saves precious energy in a race. It is also very light. My size Small frame with SRAM Red and Ritchey carbon wheels is under 16 lbs.

I would prefer a fork-mounted cable hanger to help with brake chatter. This bike requires a headset-mounted hanger. It also has a relatively long wheelbase and is probably not the quickest turning bike out there, but it has been adequate for all the courses I have raced on.

I have raced this bike for 3 seasons and I also like taking it out on the trails in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It is comfortable enough for a 4 hr. ride and still light and fast enough to race on.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Cross Concept
Dane G.   [Aug 15, 2012]
Strength:

My main concern in upgrading from an aluminum frame was weight. I figured if you are regularly lifting the bike and running with it, lighter is better. I was able to test ride the CX1 and not only was it 3 pounds lighter than my aluminum bike, it was more comfortable to ride because it damped the trail bumps noticeably. So lighter and more comfortable but not flexy, I was sold immediately. I also like the fact that you can easily customize the color and build kit so you can create exactly what you want.

I have one little flaw in the paint job that appeared on the fork, but it's pretty minor. It's possible I caused it, but I had not even crashed the bike at that point, so not likely.

Great bike, for competitive price with built kit of your choosing, good stuff!

Terrence Metz   [Aug 14, 2012]
Strength:

An extremely light versatile 'cross rig which is not only responsive through tight turns and accelerations but also climbs like a nimble mountain goat! I've not only raced the bike but train on it on the road and on singletrack. It's definitely versatile and handles in all of these situations. The bike is also an incredible value considering other full rigs can run up to double the price tag.
Since I'm on the tall end of the male spectrum, a frameset that does not feel too small or oversized is important for me. The CX1 does not disappoint for me in this arena as it fits but still maintains it's handling.
All cable routing is along the top tube which makes for a clean downtube grab on dismounts. Additionally, although there is no shouldering contour on the underside of the top tube, the width fits nicely on the shoulder and never created an issue for me on runups. As for frame toughness (something you want in cross), I've never felt any flex and have crashed racing the bike with no structure issue whatsoever.
Finally, I found the BB height to be adequate for all courses I've raced, never worrying about clipping the bottom or having balance or geometry issues related to a high BB clearance.
As a side note unrelated to the frameset itself, Leopard is a small but very solid company where the people care about the product and are willing to work with the rider to dial in whatever it is you are looking for.

I'd be lying to say a bike doesn't have any weakness. This is a generic statement but does apply for the CX1: geometry is a personal item and this frame, like any other, would fit most but there are a likely few who would prefer another specific measurement and for those, this might not be your setup. This is easy to evaluate as Leopard publishes all geometry through there website or by contacting them directly.

Extremely light versatile carbon cross rig which is not only race ready but able to perform at any level.

Tom T   [Aug 10, 2012]
Strength:

Very comfortable, stiff, very light and great handling bike.
The leopard accelerates quickly, your getting the power out you put in.
For me it was almost like cheating, coming off a heavier aluminum and Titanium bike.
Mine is a large and comes in just under 17lbs.

cant think of any

Dean at leopard said I would not be disappointed and I wasnt. I took his word it was going to be a great bike and he was spot on.
The one thing I really like is you can pick your group. And if you dont need wheels you can save some money.