Lynskey Performance Designs Cooper CX Cyclocross Bike

Lynskey Performance Designs Cooper CX Cyclocross Bike

The Cooper CX was designed for the rider looking for a multi-use frame that can handle cyclocross racing and pull double duty as a solid commuter. Introduced as a disc specific model in 2011, this is the perfect do it all winter bike. The 3AL/2.5V titanium tubeset has a large diameter bi-axially ovalized downtube and top tube cable routing to keep mud out of the drivetrain. The rear end retains rack and fender mounts and S-bend seat and chainstays that give clearance for 700x38c tires. With six sizes to choose from, there is a Cooper CX for nearly everyone.

For the long gravel grinders, the daily commute or the weekend cross series, the Cooper CX will soon be the weapon of choice that you keep going to more times than not. Built with adventure in mind, let the Cooper CX take you some place off the beaten path and back again.

[Nov 11, 2017]
Thomas Egan

Strength:

Braze-ons for rack and fenders. Wide clearance easily accommodates 38mm tires, perhaps even a little wider.

A little flexible in the rear triangle

This is a long-term review. I purchased my Cooper CX direct from Lynskey in November 2011 as a frame & fork deal with a Wound-Up carbon disc fork, Cane Creek 110 headset, and S&S Couplers built into the frame. It was the first version of this frame with disc brakes as an option, and Don Lynskey just happened to have one un-built tubeset for my size into which he could fit the couplers as a semi-custom option. I finished the build at home with an Ultegra 6703 drivetrain and Avid BB7-SL mechanical disc brakes. For wheels it was then Psimet custom built wheels (A23 hoops/White Industries Mi6 disc hubs). Current setup is much the same, save for a new wheelset (Velocity Aileron rims/W.I. XMR hubs) for an eventual upgrade to 11-speed & hydraulic brakes. The finish is industrial mill with etched graphics.

Initial ride impression is s that the frame is just a little too flexible in the rear triangle for something that was billed as a race bike. In my situation this is a non-issue because a) I ride with a rear rack which stiffens up the ride, and b) I appreciate the dampening effect anyway on loaded adventure/camping trips.

I chose this frame to build the ultimate go-anywhere and do-anything adventure bike. Century group rides, fire roads & horse trails, days-long camping trips, the MTB pump track, pulling my German Shepherd in her Doggy-Go trailer, and hauling a bag of groceries and clothes for work. In 6 years it is yet to disappoint. And while all the guys I ride with are now on their 3rd or 4th new ride with the latest tech and hazari, my same old-same old keeps on truckin’. When my shifters finally wear out I’ll know it’s finally time for an upgrade, but you can bet that I’ll be building it on this same frame.

Not similar per se, but I moved to this frame from a Surly Long Haul Trucker

[Jan 31, 2017]
Matt

Strength:

Beautifully made frame. English threaded bottom bracket making it easy to service. Smooth. Good deals on the frames at the moment (in the UK at least)

Using it as an adventure bike, routing the front mech down the seat tube and around a little pulley is a pain.

I swapped an alloy cross bike for this to use as my only bike. I use it as a commuter and it's great. Eats the bumps where the alloy bike felt them. I've only ridden it a handful of times and I find the handling a little less sharp than my cross bike but I'm sure I'll get used to that. Planning to put 28mm tyres on in the summer and use it for more road rides.

[Apr 25, 2016]
Blake Emett

Strength:

Versatility and durability.

This bike opens up the world to so many possibilities and you only have one lifetime to pursue them all.

I use this bike as a tourer, commuter, road and single tracker. I love that I can do them all comfortably with the same frame. I've had this bike for a year and a half and am happy with my purchase. I live in Salt Lake City and use it to commute to and from work daily all year round. The bike allows me to throw on road tires and cruise up Big Cottonwood Canyon or throw on cross tires and drop down Bobsled off the Bonneville Shoreline Trail for lunch. Whatever the task, you can do it with this bike. My next adventure is a tour from Salt Lake City to Zion National Park.

[Nov 02, 2015]
Duran Valdez

Strength:

Durable, versatile, relatively light weight. Has eyelets for fenders and clearance for 700x38 tires. Hydraulic brakes are powerful and don't require much maintenance.

Personally, I don't care for the satin finish and wish I had opted for the industrial mill

After my last bike was destroyed by an oncoming car I was ready to replace it with a true do-it-all bike: something I could commute to work with, take for fast-paced fun rides on the weekend, and possibly even do some long distance touring with.

During the 4 days I spent on my back recuperating from the accident I spent hour after hour considering brands, everything from Salsa, to Litespeed, to Kona, before deciding on a Lynskey. The reviews for every model of Lysnkey I could find were overwhelmingly positive.

I ordered the Urbanskey, which is based off the Cooper CX frame, and am really loving the quality and build kit. It's equipped with a Sram Force goupset, hydraulic disc brakes, and I swapped the saddle for a cambium C17. The bike weighs about 21lbs, which is awesome considering how versatile the bike is. I put on some 700x35 Bon Jon Pass tires (tubeless, of course) and now I have a great cushy ride that can still really rip when I stand up and crank hard on the pedals.

The customer service reps at Lynskey were a bit of a mixed-bag. On one hand it took them forever to respond to some of my emails, but on the other hand they were really accommodating of some of my build tweaks. For example, on request they set-up my bike brakes moto-style, left the steerer tube uncut, and swapped the handlebars from FSA Compacts to Salsa Cowbells (my favorite bars). They even swapped the stock 34-50 compact crank with a 36-46 cross crankset weeks after I had put in my order.

I've put about 300 miles on the bike so far and in that time the bike has been fun as hell to ride. It feels light and springy and when I take off my commuting bike bag (a Rivendell Medium Sackville Sack) it feels like I have a racing bike ... a racing bike that can eat up fire roads and gravel trails. The hydraulic brakes are powerful with good modulation. With a light squeeze I can stop much more quickly than with rim brakes--I definitely see this as a huge improvement. The only problem I've had is with the right shifter--the paddle kept sticking when I downshifted until I adjusted it with a multi-tool. It was an easy fix, but I've heard plenty of people online complaining about Sram shifters sticking and figure the solution might not be well-known.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. My only regret is that I should have splurged on the industrial finish. The satin finish is muted--definitely makes the bike seem ordinary (I like to think bike thieves would have less interest in it) but I realize now the industrial finish is more my style. In the future I hope Lysnskey updates their website with more photos that really show off the difference in finishes.

Chinese Ti Cyclocross Frame w/Sram Rival
Soma Double Cross DC
Surly Cross Check
VO Campeur
VO Randonneur

[Aug 17, 2015]
Philippe

Strength:

Beautifull ride, comfortable, can do everything bike

None so far

I bought a frameset at Chainreaction and assembled the bike myself : Utlegra 6703 groupset, hydraulic brakes from Trickstuff, Fulcrum Red Passion wheelset, Hutchinson Sector Tubeless tires. So far, the best bike I had : goes fast up- and downhill on and off the road, perfect transfer of power, comfortable, sporty .... I planned to use it as my commuter bike but it ended up being my commuter, travel, cyclocross and race bike - all in one.

Litespeed Ultimate

[Jun 01, 2015]
Daniel

Strength:

Comfortable ride, excellent build quality and beautiful

I bought a Cooper CMT, which is essentially a commuter build of the CX, with an Ultegra groupset and disk brakes. I ride it around NY City but will also take it into the mountains on dirt roads and more forgiving trails. I wanted a comfortable ride, good on bumpy roads for commuting but also nice for weekend rides in the mountains. I also wanted something light since I'm carrying it in and out of a storage room and on the subway with my kids and their bikes. I absolutely love it so far--noticeably more comfortable than my prior aluminum frame on uneven pavement and really responsive. For riding in the city I like that the look is more low-key, but still beautiful.

Before buying I had a few questions and Michael Ledford and others at Lynskey were very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. I ordered the bike from Lynskey and it shipped next day, and arrived a few days after that. The bike was very nicely packed and riding beautifully the following day without any meaningful adjustments.

Diamondback

[May 24, 2015]
N. Estrada

Strength:

All-around tank. Small roots, wrist-size roots, ruts, snow, muds, gravel, sand, blacktop, it goes anywhere you point the handlebar.
As long as you keep the rubbers down on the ground, it's indestructable.
I have mine for 3 years now. 2 Almanzos, 2 Barry-Roubaix, 2 Gravel Grovels, 1 Horribly Hilly Hundred, 1 Gravel Metric, occasional Palos trails, even a couple Ragbrai's, and tens of loong and short, easy and brutal rides and the bike still looks handsome.

none.

Easy to clean. dish soap and water, dry with cloth, and a light coat of WD40, fresh again.

[Apr 22, 2015]
Giles

Strength:

Quality of build
Riding experience

Ordered the bike online from Lynskey so not really expecting a super fast delivery time from reading all the previous reviews but the bike was shipped in four weeks and I recieved it in five weeks. Not bad considering I am in Australia. Only been riding the bike for about a month so cannot really comment on the durability yet (but then who can). Well built. Everything just works. SRAM groupset integrated well. Nice smooth ride (28cc tires). Only problem is I want another as my commuting bike.

Giant defy
Eastway RD 1.0
Giant TCR

[Dec 07, 2014]
Joe Haskell

Strength:

I recieved my 2014 Cooper CX in early November. I love this bike. It has a smooth ride, the componentry is of good quality and appears to be pretty bomb proof so far. In short I really like the bike and have been riding the crap out of it since it showed up at my door. I also have nothing but good things to say about the the folks at Lynskey, They've made sure the sizing was correct and pointed me in the right direction as far putting me on the Cooper CX. When the Bike was delivered it was well put together and the packaging was excellent, putting the bike the rest of the way together was also a snap. I like the bike and the experience with the folks at Lynskey enough to buy a 2015 Comutesky for my wife and I think that says a lot about the product and the folks that sell it.

It looks like I have the same gripe that everyone else does and that is on the estimation of delivery and shipping date. I like everyone else wants to know approximately when the bike is going to show up.

The bike is awesome, the folks at Lynskey are knowledgeable and personable. Yes they are awesome too. Yeah, I had to wait for my bike, but it was worth the wait. Only glitch is that I wasn't told I had to wait for the bike.

[Dec 07, 2014]
BCSaltchucker

Strength:

The comfort and response to power is excellent

no weakness with this frame at all

My first Ti bike, after having maybe 15 steel and Al bikes. Bought it mainly to be a winter bike, gravel trails bike and singletracker. I have had it 2 years now.

Tried the bike on our trails here, but of course they are too technical for a Cx bike, so she remains as my main road bike now. It would be a good singletracker in other parts of the continent, however.

I built her to be tough, not light. Steel fork, 37mm heavy Touring Plus tires, big fenders, Moots rack, Turbomatic ti saddle. Lights. Adds up to a hefty 32 lbs now, lol! But that does not impact the bike's speed on level ground, and comfort is great everywhere. Just good thing I also have an S-works Tarmac for nice dry summer days. Did not like the 20sp Doubletap Rival group on it so I installed my 12 year old 105 triple group (Rival went on my Tarmac). Disappointed with the BB7, esp the rear, so I put on a TRP HyRd on the rear, which is a great brake but also heavy.

This bike also inspired me to buy a Pro26 frame from Lynskey (at steal price of 1k). Also comfy and fast. Comes in lighter than my Cooper, LOL.

I can see this bike in a lot of roles. Build it light and use for Cx racing. Put thin roadie wheels are it becomes a club road ride bike, if not perhaps a road racer (maybe not a criterium). Build heavy like mine and ride rough roads. Load with racks and bags and flags and tour the world.