Marin Mountain Bikes Toscana Cyclocross Bike

• Pedals: Composite with Alloy Cage
  • Crankset: FSA Vero Triple, 50/39/30
  • Chain: Shimano HG53

Peter Moses   Commuter [Jul 17, 2009]

I purchased a 2009 Marin Toscana for a commuter and recreational long distance bike for all weather conditions. The bike handles great with lots of comfort. Riding it 5 miles each way to and from work three times a day is no problem and I greatly enjoy 30-50 mile treks on it on the weekend. The bike handles fine at 30mph on paved descents but has no problems running down a dirt road either.

OVERALL
Paul Ebrill   Commuter [Jun 23, 2009]
Strength:

Strong but light, disc brakes for commuting or mild off-road, Shimano Sora STI for road speed, triple ring for less fit riders and off road

Avid BB5s need to be set up carefully, front derailleur tricky to adjust with triple to cover, fitting mudguards and panniers not as easy as non-disc brake bike

I am basically a Cyclist Commuter who cycles for pleasure at weekends. My commuter bike has been an old steel framed Raleigh 10 speed Classic. Feeling I deserved a new bike i set about researching what would suit and finally ended up buying a Marin Toscana 2009 with Avid BB5 disc Brakes. So far, so good, very good for me compared to my old bike but objectively, I believe an excellent Bike. Sold as a Cyclocross bike it seems tough enough for commuting but light and racy enough to make some distance on the roads or off at the weekends. I set up the Avid BB5s myself using Internet to research various tips on doing and they are very good so far. Shimano Sora Speed is excellent but I am having some problems tweaking the Front Derailleur to get it to cover all three rings smoothly. The 35mm knobbly tyres are a bit of a drag on the road so I switched the rear for a smooth tyre but left the front one on for stability off road. I would not intend to do more than good tracks and towpaths and such like off road and it is certainlt not mountain biking material as the specs are to high and delicate.

OVERALL