Redline Conquest Team Cyclocross Bike

• CNC machined chainstay yoke
  • Oval shaped top tube
  • FSA Energy 46x36Tcranks

Soundtallica   [Oct 09, 2014]
Strength:

Pretty much everything about the ride. This is the first bike that I think truly nails the cliche "stiff and compliant" mantra. It's light, at only 1080 grams for my 54cm. It also looks nice. The geometry is great too; with a 70mm BB drop (same as my road bike) and relatively short chainstays it handles well as a gravel bike in addition to being a rocket in CX races. Generous tire clearance for a CX bike, you could probably squeeze a 40c in the back. Disc mount on the back and interchangeable dropouts for different spacing.

Full internal cable housing makes it impossible to replace the housing or front derailleur cable without first removing the BB, Redline could've at least put a removable door under the BB to make that easier. Fender mounts would be nice, but this is an elite CX racing frame and that's nitpicking. Carbon finish is rough at some places inside the frame.

In addition to being an elite cyclocross bike, this is a true all-round bike. It's every bit as stiff and responsive as my Jamis Xenith road bike (which I loved) but I can't for the life of me understand how it is so comfortable too. Stuff that would rattle me on my old bike (the old scandium Conquest team, which is already a cushy frame) I can now float over on this one. It isn't the tires, I slapped my Jamis's wheels with 23c tires on and I still experienced the same shocking compliance. I can keep up on cat 3 race pace group rides and road racing with this setup as easily as I can with the road bike. Oh, and it even happens to weigh 16.4 lbs without pedals, lighter than the Jamis by half a pound.

It's also a well-thought out bike. The BB drop is 70mm, which is low for a CX bike and equal to the drop on my Jamis. This allows for stable handling at road bike speeds and the ability to be used as an all day gravel grinder as well. It's rock solid bombing downhill, whether on pavement at 50 mph or down steep gravel roads. The disc mounts on the chainstay and the interchangeable dropouts for 130mm or 135mm spacing make it future-proof for when disc brakes take over.

Aside from a few minor complaints listed in the weaknesses section, this is my dream bike that does it all. It's light, stiff and responsive, comfy, looks great, handles well, and is well thought out. I'm selling my Jamis immediately and using this as my only non-mountain bike.

Similar Products Used: Redline Conquest Team scandium, Specialized Tricross Expert, Fuji Cross Pro.
OVERALL
Kelley   Commuter [Oct 27, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, light. Corners nicely.

Good amount of toe overlap, pretty standard on CX bikes though.

Love it Love it Love it. Great cross bike. I got it used at a steal for $800. Light responsive and stiff. This will be my first season racing cross. It won't be the bike holding me back. It will be my lungs and legs.

Similar Products Used: One ride on a Trek CX bike.
OVERALL