Redline Conquest Cyclocross Bike

Rear Der: Shimano Tiagra SS
Pedals: Shimano PD-M515 SPD
Tires: 700 x 28c Kenda Kwick

Emery   Commuter [Jul 23, 2009]
Strength:

Fast climber; good gearing for lousy Pennsylvania roads; lightweight; good gearing; good wheels; cool blue color; reasonable price

Low end saddle, poor even for factory. Rough gravel = tooth pain.

Liked this bike right away. Bought for commuting 8.5 miles one way, 1 mile is gravel road, and some grass shortcuts. Stable at all speeds, comfortable frame dimensions. I have some short steep grades - no triple but this bike is light and fast for accents. Close gearing on front is great, much better than using a hardtail mountain bike with skinny tires (my previous commuter setup). Good value, decent wheels, 105 shifts nicely, knobby tires 50-75 psi - will change to city tread. Saddle and pedals are the only must-change items. I'm also planning to try this bike for easy-go back country rides with friends, and if I go carbon fork I'll try non-technical singletrack. Detailed company history on website (BMX and Cyclocross racing)

Similar Products Used: Trek FX 7.3 same price but no comparison to Conquest. Trek is a heavy hardtail with 700mm wheels and Deore (good beach bike?) Redlines are roadbikes. Get to work fast on bad roads pick the Conquest.
clanderson9220   Commuter [May 07, 2009]
Strength:

Reasonably light, inexpensive, comfortable, great handling, and versatile.

No rack braze-ons.

I bought the frame to build into an all around ride. I really like this bike. I use it to commute to and from work, as well as long road rides and local singletrack. I even rode it in a century last year. This bike has replaced both of my other bikes. This bike handles as well as my Specialized Allez on the road, and handles technical single track as well as my Klein. The only thing that I would suggest to Redline is to add braze-ons for a rack. Other than that nitpick, This is a very good bike and an excellent buy.

Similar Products Used: None. This is my first cyclocross bike.
Tweezak   Commuter [Apr 29, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, responsive, reasonably comfortable.

Alloy fork is very stiff and harsh - I'm considering a Winwood carbon. Stock saddle sucked (Selle San Marco Island Ponza). My toes hit the front wheel - seems like a bad design for a cross bike. Would it have killed them to put rack braze-ons on it? After all, the Pro version is for racing. Oh yeah...the paint seems kind of soft.

I haven't ridden that many different bikes but this one really seems to work well for me. I commute 28mi/day in rain or whatever. I was rapidly destroying my rims on my old mountain bike with all the grit so I sought out a road oriented bike that I could put discs on. I also wanted aluminum so rust wouldn't be a concern. This bike meets all my needs and is fun to ride. The ride is not real smooth but that may be partly due to my choice of tires.

The bike was good as it came but I couldn't resist customizing it. I've changed just about everything on it and I'm now convinced I would have been better off just buying the frame and building it up. Oh well.

carolina girl   Recreational Rider [Oct 13, 2008]
Strength:

Light
fast
solid
rigid

doube crank
low end crank
alum fork (but I really don't mind)

For the price, you can't beat this bike. This is my first cross bike, and I have hopes of racing it soon. The bike is fast, responsive, good climber, and fast, fast, and fast. I love the top break levers, I think that is a great feature, especially when your going 30MPH downhill riding on the tops, your not forced to change hand positions if you need to break. This bike feels very solid. I would have liked a carbon fork, maybe later, and a nicer crank and triple ring, but for the price and the other components, you can't beat it. You can ride this anywhere, and not worry about tearing it up.

Giro84   Road Racer [Feb 20, 2008]
Strength:

I liked the stable ride qualities of the Conquest, I suppose Redline has figured out their geometry after 10 plus years of making 'Cross bikes. I appreciated the 'Cross gearing of the 46x36T since then shifting on the 12x25 cassette was tighter, than a 12x27. I like the extra brake levers on the tops, very handy for city riding. The Raze tires rode nice on the trails--a good alround tread. I am contemplating changing to disc brakes, so having the tabs on the frame and fork was a big selling point.

I changed to my own pedal system, so perhaps the bike does not need to come with pedals?

A good solid riding bike for under a grand, I really enjoy this versitle bike. I also use this as my winter "rain bike" easy to install fenders on. Redline has really thought out many details, like all of the fender eyelets and attachment points.

78olds   Commuter [Oct 21, 2007]
Strength:

good components ritchey wheels hubs bar neck seat post bars all nice stuff. I also like the choice of brake levers. great price really rides nice and very quite witch is a plus in my book.

if there is one its that the frame is made in china.
only two chain rings
frame set up for disc brakes but hard to find correct wheel and hub for the rotor

budget buy of the century great components smooth ride, quiet ride. looked at a cannondale synapse 4 much better components on the redline. ritchey branding is nice to see. i wish it had a triple chain ring for the steep stuff.

Similar Products Used: cannondale synapse 4
2007 cannondale F5 mtn (great bike) was daily commuter before redline
MRM   Recreational Rider [Jul 13, 2007]
Strength:

Great quality for the money, durable, strong climber and fast descender. It's a good-lookin' bike too.

I built up a small frame and depending on where I am in my pedal stroke, my foot occasionally rubs the front tire when turning. This is partially a result of the small sized frame, but also is impacted by the bike's geometry.

Also, it's not easy to find 700c disc wheels, and disc compatible carbon forks.

This review is for the conquest disc. I built it up over a four month period and love the way this bike rides. It is fast, comfortable and ascends trails like a mtn goat.

Similar Products Used: Scott CX
rspafford   Recreational Rider [May 24, 2007]
Strength:

Does everything and does it well.

OK, after getting used to a carbon fiber frame, I'll admit the aluminum frame gives a stronger jolt, but that's to be expected.

I bought a cyclocross bike because I moved from the country to the city, and my road bike can't handle the streets, roads and trails with holes, root pops, and small canyons. This Redline Conquest is a very pleasant surprise. It's quick, comfortable, and tough. I hit a good-sized (I think) hole I never saw at 20+ mph and, although it almost threw me off the bike, the Redline just kept on rockin'. I've ridden it in the city (pothole heaven), on trails, and on the road. It does it all. I won't put it up against my '05 Roubaix Comp, but for a cost difference of $2000, this is the bargain of the bike universe. My only regret: I didn't spring for the Pro model!

Similar Products Used: Kona Smoke
mookie   Recreational Rider [May 02, 2007]
Strength:

Low weight.
Durability -- even for an aluminum frame.
Speed.
Climbing ability.
Comfortable ride quality -- even for long days in the saddle.

Aluminum frame can be punishing after a while. If this bike ever breaks, I'd consider a steel frame.

I bought this bike used, but I've been absolutely pleased with it. This is an amazingly nimble and rugged 'cross bike. I highly recommend it for 'cross and road riding. I've changed out the Kinesis aluminum fork for a Surly Crosscheck steel fork and have been very happy with the dampened vibrations. The increase in weight from aluminum to steel is negligible (anyone who says otherwise likely overpays for parts and bikes), and the increase in ride quality is wonderful. Keep two sets of tires, one for 'cross riding and one for road riding, and this bike will meet your every needs.

Oh, and for those of you who say that the Redline sizing is quirky, you should be aware that true 'cross bikes (Bianchis and Felts included) have a higher riding bottom bracket for ground clearance than road bikes do. I ride a 56cm in most road bikes but a 54cm on my Redline. That's just the way 'cross bikes are built.

aj   Recreational Rider [Mar 20, 2007]
Strength:

Price! Glad I didn't pay more for the Lemond, Bianchi, Felt, etc, when the Conquest delievers for much cheaper. Very light!

1. It can get some head shake going fast downhill, probably because since it is alum. with no carbon fiber?
2. No one in town stocks it, so I had to order one. It must not have enough mark up?

I love my bike! I spent over a year shoppng around, as $999 is a lot of dough for me. I could not be happier with the bike. It fits me great, climbs like a mule, and doesn't mind 1-2 feet of air on the steeps. Best yet, I can finish a pitcher a beer waiting for my friends to finish the ride on their "Mt. Bikes."