Schwinn Fastback CX Cyclocross Bike

• Headset: FSA IS-3 integrated ACB bearing
  • Saddle: SDG Bel Air SL
  • Seat Post: SDG I Beam 31.6x350

chemguy   Road Racer [Sep 12, 2008]
Strength:

Neutral handling, decent components, fender mounts front and rear, good price point

The wheels are pretty heavy and have non-standard paired spoke lacing and boxy rims that provide a nice shelf for ice and mud to accumulate. I liked the I-Beam saddle and post in theory, but the saddle was not comfortable for my anatomy and I try to avoid proprietary systems in general. There are no standard rails to mount a saddle bag and you are limited in your saddle choices.

I have really enjoyed this bike over the course of the last year and a half. I purchased my Fastback CX primarily as a commuter bike, as it has fender mounts front and rear and much beefier tires than my road racer. With a light (~10 lb max) load, this bike has served me well on daily commutes through all weather conditions. When the weather turns bad, I like the option of leaving my road bike in the garage. The Ritchey tires served me really well during many New England snow storms and the components have held up very well in the face of terrible Boston area roads. One unexpected benefit of having a road bike with these semi slick tires is the extra workout while riding with some of my more fitness-challenged friends. Recent upgrades have helped take more than a pound off the bike and my custom wheels have been a great addition to the Fastback CX. The stock wheels are boat anchors. Heavy rims laced with paired spokes to hubs with cheap seals were the primary reason the handling and acceleration felt sluggish at times. After a few rides on local singletrack, I really look forward to taking the fenders off for a few days and trying out some local CX races. The gearing is a little high, but those upgrades will come down the road as parts wear out.