Soma Fabrications Double Cross Cyclocross Bike

A great 'do-all' frame. Ready for cross, trail-riding, commuting and some loaded touring. We make it in a wide range of sizes to fit you right.

• Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo steel front triangle; butted CrMo rear end
  • Clearance for 700x38c tires with fenders
  • Rear spacing fits road or mtn hubs.
  • Matching lugged crown steel fork features eyelets for front rack and braze-ons for low-rider panniers.(optional)
  • 1-1/8" size headtube - w/ extra height so you use less spacers.
  • 10 sizes: 42cm to 62cm
  • 4.2 lbs (54cm)

• User Reviews (22)

kurtz433   Recreational Rider [Sep 20, 2013]
    Strength:

Comfortable, fast descending, steady climbing, solid cornering.

Heavy, but this is a daily commuter / singletrack cross bike, not a racer.

This was my first build, all cobbled together online. I am very happy with the Soma Double Cross. It took a couple of rides to dial in, but since building / putting on the road Thanksgiving 2012, I've ridden it 6,000 miles and 300,000 feet of climbing (to include multiple Mount Diablo / Mount Tam rides).

Everything from daily commuting to rides up / centuries / circumnavigating SF Bay / singletrack / cx races (usually dfl - no fault of the bike) / alleycats (dfl) / and soon to be bike camping.

"Viola" will climb as fast as you can (I'm not fast) and due to sheer mass (probably weighs in around 25lbs), descends just as fast as any roadie I've chased / passed. Switchback descents are especially fun, and the $ 25 Genetic mini-v brake set stops with confidence even at 40mph+ (if you ride mindfully).

I highly recommend this frame for riders who want a stable all-purpose bike. Components are especially important, and the mileage in this case proves their compatibility and durability.

Very satisfied all around.

Similar Products Used: none
    Matt   Road Racer [Jan 28, 2012]
    Strength:

Light, good on and off road, love the feel of the steel.

Poor tolerance on the seat tube (have to torque down the seat post retainer bolt), poor finish - after one particularly muddy cross race the top tube looked like it had been sanded.

Great "do-it-all" bike used for commuting, cross racing, and light touring.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4, Trek 1500
    Dean   Road Racer [Sep 14, 2011]
    Strength:

The geometry is super stable, both on road and on dirt. I have a wheelset for each application. 700X23 for road and 700X38 for dirt.

I take my Doublecross on mountain biking trails and it handles great even when descending steep switchbacks. It climbs with ease, provided that you have the gear range for it.

On road, the geometry is on the sluggish side. It rides kind of like a rando bike, not snappy like a race frame and not too slow like a fatty touring frame. Its just right.

The frame is flexible as hell. It has rack mounts for the rear. If you get the matching fork, it has mounts for front racks as well. As aforementioned, its kind of like a Rando bike you an go mountain biking with.

It is also very affordable. Tange Prestige is a whole lot nicer than a generic 4130 tubing.

Heavy rear end. Overall, still a tad bit porky, my racer weighed in at 22 lbs with WTB 700X32 All-Terrainasaurus tires. I got it down to 21 lbs with IRD Cross tires

This review is for the canti version

Last winter, I decided to race cyclocross for fun. I had a Surly CrossCheck but I came to conclusion that it was too porky for racing.So I decided to get a Soma DoubleCross because it had a nicer tubing and it was a half a pound lighter than the Surly. I put on a carbon fork on the Soma for more weight savings.

I switched frames from Surly to Soma and the weight savings was almost a pound and a half, ceteris paribus aside from the fork. The geometry is definitely different. The Doublecross has a longer top-tube and head tube.

It is currently my favorite bike, logging in more hours than my lighter Specialized Roubaix. Steel feels more lively and comfortable.

Similar Products Used: Surly CrossCheck
    RobDelf   Recreational Rider [Feb 17, 2011]
    Strength:

Good all around, do anything bike. I like steel durability and economy. I especially like Tange tubing, light, comfy, great handling. I like Soma designs, versatile, simple, functional.

The drive side chainstay, dropout weld split after 5 years 3 months. Was going 5mph at the time luckily, but was descending MonarchPass at 50mph shortly before.

Rode many tough tours and centuries and double centuries on crappy Cali roads. The chain stay broke climbing Ebett
    s Pass going about 5mph on the DeathRide. It was about 3 months out of warranty and I couldn't find my receipt, and I had repainted a fragile original paint job. The shop was hesitant (American Cyclery SFO) so they ended up giving me wholesale price for a Soma Smoothie which has been a good all around bike. Rode the Cali Triple Crown on it, including the Terrible Two.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Cromor
    Matt Corwin   Recreational Rider [Oct 28, 2010]
    Strength:

Strong, just the right ballance of stiffness and flex for my 180lbs. Handles fearlessly on dirt and rides like a Caddy on pavement. Nice welds and paint, lots of braze ons for everything you could want to bolt on.

A bit heavy for a cyclocrosser. I have heard some negatives but remain to be seen. Hard to adjust the front brakes so the forks won't hop and chatter.

I was looking for a bike that had the ability too handle the gravel roads and blacktop rural highways of central Maine for some time. Aluminum frames, even with some carbon to make them more shock absorbant still have a harsh ride, there bigest advantage being lightness. Ripping down gravel hills at 25+ mph she's as quiet as a mouse. the same 105 groupe that I have on my aluminium framed cross bike is on the DC and works flawlessly whereas it rattles itself out of adjustment on my other bike.
    I like to ride with 'no hands' and this bike has the stability that I have craved since the old Raliegh days. I also have a Holdsworth Reynolds frame touring bike with a 42" wheelbase that isn't any better than the DC for straightline stability.
    Frame stand over hieght is lower than on similar size cross bikes, the seat tube angle rakes back more than say, Redline or Kona. If you ride a 58 roadbike, you will ride a 56 Redline but you will still ride a 58 DC. I ride a 57cm road and my DC is a 58cm. The Geometry of the DC is more streched out lengthwise. The top tube is longer than the seat tube and with the rake of the seat tube it gives a nice comfortable upright (less agressive) posture. I think it's an ideal bike for long limbed people like myself but maybe not for more compact guys like the one I bought the bike from (not sure about that). Anyway, I love this bike

Similar Products Used: A few touring bikes over the years.
    jason garnham   Commuter [Aug 02, 2010]
    Strength:

Price. A bargain for a nice steel tubeset. Seems very strong. Very versatile. Not too heavy.

Stiff, stiff, stiff. Fat rubber is a must.

Decent all-arounder: bought the DC for improved braking and handling for year-round commuting in snow, dirt, etc. Much stiffer and subsequently less comfortable than the road and "sport touring" bikes i ride, but fat tires and a softer saddle remove some of the sting. Fantastic on dirt and gravel and handles well semi-loaded.

Similar Products Used: Soma Smoothie ES
    Trek 500 series
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    terryMN   Road Racer [Jun 13, 2010]
    Strength:

Stiff with little flex, but not at all a jarring ride even through trench-like potholes. Fast handling for dodging hazards. Brace-ons for racks or fenders. Inexpensive for a brand name frame.

None for my use. Only color was black. Forced into retro cool, but there are worse fates.

Really satisfied with this frame. Used as a commuter, urban trainer, light tourer. Handles well with rear panniers loaded to moderate weight. Very versatile.

Similar Products Used: Specilaized sporter tourer, various midrange road racing bikes.
    bpeacevw   Commuter [Oct 04, 2009]
    Strength:

Quick, fun, responsive. Lots of eyelets--front low-rider mounts.

It broke.

The bike was simply great. Agile, quick and smooth. Liked the feel better than my cross check. Unfortunately, it WAS simply great for as long as it stayed together. I used it for loaded touring--front and rear racks with 50 lbs of gear maybe. The rear chainstay broke when hammering on it up a small incline. Would normally chalk it up to abuse, but I've read enough similar stories online and the kicker was a friend whose rig also broke when touring (his was seat stay near the down tube).

Similar Products Used: Surly Cross Check; Schwinn Traveler; Trek 990 set up for touring.
    nigelgrannum   Commuter [May 05, 2009]
    Strength:

Versatility, Smoothness of ride, toughness. Fast. Paint scheme is subdued so it doesn't stand out when parked in the bike racks.

No matching forks for the disc version. Had to get black IRD forks.

This is a review for a 2009 SOMA Double Cross Disc.

I needed a three season bike (I have a aluminum beater for Winter) that had to perform three tasks. Commuting, Touring and Weekend road riding. It needed to be fast for road riding, which it is, smooth for commuting, which it is and rackable for touring. I have not ridden it loaded yet, but I got an Axiom rack for disc brakes/road bikes which pushes the load back three inches, so this will hopefully keep it stable. It has a longer wheel base than and average road bike, but shorter than a long haul trucker.

At just about 2 months, it is excellent so far. I may do a longer term review after a year or two. I can keep up with my friends on road bikes easily. The frames, disc canti studs are removeable on my 2009 frame.

blahwtf?   Commuter [Apr 12, 2009]
    Strength:

dual eyelets, disc or canti (hence DC) many sizes. quick steering.

canti studs aren't removable

this is a review for the DC disc version w/ disc fork. comfortable steel, tight steering. i searched for a commuter/trainer that would feel geometrically similar to my xc bike, had rack mounts, and discs. it also had to come in my size [48cm] this was it. i only give it 4 for value because its only able to be bought as a frame and a similar pre-built commuter bike doesnt cost too much more. that being said, the quality is very good and even though its steel, its light enough. now i find the steering fast and it seems to be asking me for a aero bar. but for commuting or touring i find it a litte too fast. i am going to try a 69er and see how that works. and i have another rigid fork that's about 1" longer a2c. that being said, this bike is fun to ride, shows good quality and will remain in my lineup, i am thoroughly satisfied

Similar Products Used: none