Specialized Tricross Expert Double Cyclocross Bike

Tricross Expert Double

The TriCross Expert’s E5 SLX aluminum frame uses a Campy-style integrated head tube. FACT seatstays with Zertz inserts absorb vibration, so you feel fresher, longer. The S-Works TriCross monocoque carbon fork features a Speed Zertz insert for an extra measure of vibration damping. The 3D-forged Pro-Set alloy stem joins perfectly with the large-diameter handlebar for a solid connection. The Specialized Comp handlebar has a hand-friendly ergonomic shape; the 31.8mm stem clamp area makes for ultra-responsive steering. The Roval Pavé SL wheelset comes ready to rock, with an E5 alloy mid-profile aero rim, cold-forged alloy 5-spoke high flange hubs, and DT aero spokes.

larry   [Apr 23, 2013]
Strength:

It's a light bike. The tires are fairly tough. It has fair and inexpensive braking. It doesn't rust as a cause of deterioration.

Very Weak Drivetrain... Costs plenty of money.. Almost unreplaceable Crank...Wheels are not as tough as advertised.

Costs alittle much for a great frame but very weak, deceptive components....Need a whole tool set to repair. On the positive; Easy riding bike... Can take some dirt tracks...Climbs well. Conclusion; TI like Fuji in this price range..

Dragan Draganov   Recreational Rider [Jun 01, 2011]
Strength:

stif frame, comfort ride, excelent turning

a bit expensive. there is single specialized retailer in my country. No comptenece on the marked.

exelent frame set. I purchased a frameset separately and put on it Shimano Ultegra Triple drivetrain. Brakes - Avid 4. Own 2 weel sets, Shimano Ultegra 6700 for road riding and Another build on Mavic CXP 22 rims on Borough CX tyres for offroad. Bike behave exelent in both roles. Light and stiff frame for comfortable ride despite on or off road. This bike allows me to compete on speed with non-proffesional road riders but gives me opportunity to ride at higher speed on bumpy roads wile they slow down to prevent damage to their expensive carbon toys. I do some mountain rides from time to time and I do realy enjoy the versatility of application of those bicycle. I would highly recommend such experience, tricross expert is an excelent frameset, build for offroad excursions while maintaing the speed.

gclugz   Recreational Rider [Feb 19, 2011]
Strength:

Bike handles great and is reasonably comfortable with the zerts and carbon fork and carbon chain stays. The bike get to speed quickly and in control.

None so far except the Shorty 4 might have to go soon.

This is for a 2010 Tricross Expert recently purchased on Ebay. Bike is the standard Expert Double with Sram Rival shifters, Shorty 4 Brakes, Roval Wheelset. Just like the website shows. Having looked for a speedy commuter and an off road challenge bike that does everything - this bike does it all --- so far.

Similar Products Used: Felt FX1
river rider   Recreational Rider [Jan 14, 2011]
Strength:

Zerts gizmos on the fork and seatstays seem to work well. My Allez elite also has them. The geometry works well with low speed and off road adventures. Nice stiff carbon fork tracks accurately. No canti shimmy noted. Plenty of clearance for really fat cross tires.

When the weather is dry, not my choice for speed work. Be careful not to get too rough and dirty.. Its not a mountain bike. Be prepared to have dirt and mud fly on you if you don't keep your fenders on.

2010 version. This is a great all around bad weather or rough road bike. I've got other road bikes when speed is the goal. But when the weather is bad and just getting out and riding is the goal, the Tricross is the ticket. Went out on several bad days with the goal to ride as far as I could before the rains started. When the rains came, I would then turn back home. So much fun. I saw roadies going out as well with their nice shiny carbon units. I smiled to myself when the rain and hail came down. As I zipped up my exta layers and headed back home, they were caught in the storm with skinny tires and tight geometries. I did just fine during the 15 mile ride home. The bike handles well enough in the dry weather. I have spare wheels that give me the option to switch to narrower 30mm cross tires to speed up things. When the weather gets bad, the bike shines. I've got the weight down to about 20 pounds. Nice to ride off the asphalt and enjoy the scenery again, but then have the option to speed things up when back on pavement. Really beats my mountain bike for speed.

Similar Products Used: My only cross bike. I have mountain bikes (titanium hard tail, alloy suspension) and several road bikes (titanium, carbon, steel, and allum).
scotty4u   Recreational Rider [Apr 27, 2010]
Strength:

Extremely stiff frame! Stand up and pedal and the power transfer is immediate. The Zerts inserts in the carbon seat stays and seat post do absorb quite a bit of vibration. The FACT carbon fork is amazing compared to what Im used to.

Too soon to tell. I have an extra custom built wheel set that Im sure will add 5 mph + if I swap it out with the stock Roval Pave' s. My experience with stock Specialized wheels and spokes are not good. I admit Im a clydesdale. But when you're spending 2000+ dollars on a bike I expect that nothing breaks.

Just finished my first 11 mile shakedown ride on my new 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert. I traded in a 2009 Specialized Allez double and a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29. The retail on the Tricross was 2200 minus a 9% Louisiana sales tax. The out the door prices was substantially less due to the trade in's and a great LBS owner. Me? Im 50, 255, and 6 ft 1 inch. Been into cycling on and off since the mid 80's but just got serious about in the past year. My routes range from 10.5 to 38 miles. I dont race.

The bike came with a Cane Creek carbon head set and SRAM Rival components Although they are by no means broken in they seem to be spot on. The cantilever brakes seem to brake as well or better than the brake sets on my previous bikes despite having read reviews to the contrary. The fit and finish are flawless. Although Im not using it the bike does come with a third water bottle mount under the down tube.

I will update this in about a month once I have the bike dialed in and back from it's 30 day breaking service.

Similar Products Used: 2009 Specialized Allez double
2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29 Expert
Matt   Road Racer [Nov 19, 2009]
Strength:

Frame stiffness
Lightweight
Value

Stock brakes
Stock skewers

This is a great mid-level bike for cross racing. It's lightweight, has excellent power transfer, and has ok components. Most notably the frame is excellent. If you want a granny gear, get a hybrid, this bike wants to go fast. I only caution that the stock brakes and stock skewers are terrible and should be immediately replaced which costs <$100.

Dark_avenger   Commuter [Jun 21, 2009]
Strength:

Good speed on road, Good grip on Gravel.

Tire are make for Cross.

I buought the tricross 2008 as half road bike, half moutain bike. I commute with this bike, i make 30km everyday to work. I make camping-biking, i transport 150 lbs in 300km km and i want to do a 1000 km this summer. Good grip on dirt, and gravel, and good speed on road. The only problem, i had to change the tire after only 2000km cause of the weith a transport. But, it a good comprise to do dirt and road.

harrydog   Recreational Rider [Mar 30, 2009]

2008 Specialized Tricross Expert 56 cm

I live in the Wood River Valley of south central Idaho, near the resort of Sun Valley. Excellent single track and some nice road rides have kept me busy on my 20” Giant Anthem 1 full-suspension mountain bike (SRAM X-O) and my 59 cm LeMond carbon/ti road bike (SRAM Red), but the jeep roads and spring/fall mud seasons seemed to call for another bike that was neither mountain nor road, so I took the plunge, buying a new ’08 Tricross Expert late last summer when my local dealer had a sale. I added TIME ATAC pedals (I have similar ones on my other two bikes) and swapped out the mushy stock brakes for some more potent Avids, but otherwise the bike is stock. A few disclaimers before I review the bike: I only ride about 1,500 miles a year with no racing, and while I have been mountain biking for a long time, I only picked up road riding three years ago, and I have never ridden cycle cross/cyclocross. I am fit, 42 years old, and an above average, but not expert, rider.

The aluminum frame with the carbon fork, partial carbon rear triangle, carbon seat post and Roval wheel set is comfortable, smooth, quick steering, and climbs well. I have my doubts about the efficacy of the Zerts inserts, but I am not an engineer and have not ridden a similar frame without them, so what do I know? If money were no object, I would have gone with the S-Works all-carbon frame, but I think the aluminum/carbon Expert frame does a good job of taming the aluminum’s downside with the carbon bits, wheel set, and other selected pieces. The SRAM Rival drive train makes crisp shifts and is rock solid in all kinds of conditions, but I am partial to SRAM and really like the way their stuff works. The whole package delivers a very nice ride that gives me a lot of confidence to ride hard on almost any surface and carry some stupid speed into the corners (careful with cantilevers on the pavement!). I love the OEM short drop bars, the upper brake levers with bell (great for tapping time to tunes on the iPod when alone), and the way this bike generally flies.

I have ridden about 300 miles on the Tricross Expert on a mix of asphalt, dirt and gravel roads and moderate/hard single track here in central Idaho, and paved asphalt in Carmel Valley and Palm Desert, California. The bike covers a lot of surface types with aplomb, but don’t kid yourself (as I did) that it is a tool for real single track riding. It is, however, a great ride on the pavement and moderate dirt and gravel, though with it’s relatively tall gearing, real hill climbs require me to get out of the saddle and stay there. I have probably had the most fun climbing and descending steep canyon roads in Carmel Valley, CA with so-so asphalt that had patches of mud, water and fine gravel (results of spring runoff). The least fun to date was moderate/hard single track, where it rode a whole lot more like a road bike than I’d hoped. One particular low-speed, low-side single track crash saw the front wheel pop out of the fork, which reminds me that I don’t much care for the stock quick release skewers, as it’s hard to really crank them down on the fork, and as mentioned above, the stock brakes were nothing great, but it’s a cross bike, not a mountain bike, so take these quibbles with a grain of salt. What stands out for me is that this bike rides really well in many conditions, is fast, and a ton of fun. If I could have only one bike, this would likely be it.