Downtube VIIIFS Folding Bike

VIIIFS

VIIIFS 8sp full suspension all aluminum folding bicycle

• Folding Aluminum frame w/folding pedals
  • Front suspension fork by Zoom.
  • 8sp SunRace Gripshift
  • Quality alloy stem, V-brakes, post, bar ends
  • Folded size: approx 30 x 60 x 81 cm (12" x 23.6" x 33")
  • Folding time: 10 sec
  • Rider Height: 4’9”-6’4”

Hugh ODonnell   Recreational Rider [Aug 29, 2010]

Just want to say I bought a Downtube Nova three months ago. I live in downtown Chicago and use it regularly all around the City. I weigh 200 pounds - the limit for the bike. The bike has been awesome. Easy to ride and easy to fold up. Every weekend I do rides of 20-30 miles with no problems. I bought a new seat because the original seat was uncomfortable. Other than that, a great product.

cindy7707   Commuter [Jul 22, 2010]
Strength:

THE BIKE ISNT TOO HEAVY, FRONT SUSPENSION, BACK WHEEL RACK, FOLDING PEDDLES, ADJUSTABLE
HANDLEBARS

WIRES ON BRAKES TOO TIGHT SO YOU CANT FULLY ADJUST THE HANDLEBARS OR HEIGHT ALL THE WAY, SEAT IS REALLY HARD AND UNCOMFORTABLE, TIRE ON FRONT IS SMALLER THAN BACK, WHEN IT FOLDS IT IS NOT COMPACT AND IT DOESN'T STAND UP FOLDED UNLESS YOU BUNGY CORD IT TOGETHER , PLUS IT DOESN'T STAY CLOSED WITHOUT THE BUNGY CORD

DOWNTUBE FOLDING BIKE. BEWARE EVEN THOUGH THE PRICE SEEMS GOOD. I BOUGHT THE 8H MODEL AND WHEN IT ARRIVED, IT HAD A STRIPPED SCREW HOLDING THE SADDLE TO THE SEAT POST SO I CAN NOT CHANGE THE SEAT. YAN, THE OWNER OF THIS COMPANY TOLD ME I HAD TO PAY TO SHIP THE PART(WHICH IS HEAVY)AND THEN HE WOULD DETERMINE IF HE WOULD REPLACE IT.WHEN I QUESTIONED HIS POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE, HE INSULTED ME AND HUNG UP ON ME,. THEN HE SENT ME AN EMAIL SAYING THAT I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO BIKE ANOTHER BIKE FROM HIM. I THINK HE SENT ME A USED PART FROM A RETURN HE HAD.

Paul   Recreational Rider [Mar 25, 2010]
Strength:

Wonderfully stiff, quick and responsive frame. Most components have held up well. Easy to adapt to your own riding style, Forks surprisingly good.

Paint chips if you look at it too hard. Hated the saddle. Paint chips if you look at it at all. Pedals died in short order. Paint chips even if you don't look at it! No adjustment to fork settings. No way to fit chainguard. Did I mention the paint?

Quick and responsive. A very solid allrounder, if you can only afford/justify one folder to perform every function, this will be at least adequate in all respects. Not as quick as an Airnimal, but I wouldn't want to take an Airnimal down trails. Not as compact to fold as a Brompton, but I woudn't want to tour on one. The Downtube will do everything reasonably well, or better. Folds fairly quickly and fairly compact. Not so much a bike that should be damned with faint praise, so much as praised with faint damns! Not suitable for anyone who takes themselves to seriously.

Similar Products Used: Moulton, Brompton Dahon, RSW.
Bill Moss   Recreational Rider [Dec 16, 2006]
Strength:

Price is way below the others I looked at and the quality is equal to some of the $800 folders. With the 30 day trial period HOW can you go wrong.

If you're going to use it for lots of miles of riding you will want to upgrade some of the componants...but not many.

Purchase the Downtube FS to get around the Miller Motorsport Park race track West of Salt Lake City as a track volunteer and it has met all my needs. Easy to fold and store, nice smooth ride, but not to bouncy, I'm 6'2" and 235 lbs and it handles great.
I upgraded to the 9-speed and installed a set of Avid Single Digit TI v-brakes that I had along with replacing the BB with a Nashbar sealed bearing unit.
The bike arrive in perfect shape and well protected in the packaging...I was able to ride it out of the box, but I still went over everything after a short ride just for safety sake.

Similar Products Used: None
mcgurme   Commuter [Oct 14, 2006]
Strength:

Nice ride. Comfortable, including for taller people. Can be used for moderate offroad riding in addition to reasonably effecient on-road riding. Great price. The components are almost all standard and thus easily upgradeable.

Quality control on the bike that arrived was a bit low. I understand that the company is working on this, but still I lowered my rating from a five to four due to the several little issues.

I love this bike. For a taller person like me, the FS is very comfortable and fun to ride! I like riding this bike around town because it's so responsive, though I have 3 other bikes to ride (road, mountain, commuter). The suspension is not overly soft - it takes the bumps out of the road, but it doesn't bog down or get bouncy. This bike was an excellent value for the dollar. It is surprisingly fast given the reputation of smaller wheels - I pass people frequently.

There have been some minor issues: the paint on my white FS chips very easily, one of the welds on the little stand attached to the bottom bracket was broken when the bike arrived (not affecting function, however) and after some heavy-duty use, I had some shifting issues and ended up replacing the deraillur cable and housing. So far the company has been responsive, which is great. In any case, I still like the bike a lot and am happy with the purchase. For anyone who is not experienced at bike mechanics, it is a good idea to take it into a shop for a tune and check out when it first arrives.

Similar Products Used: Also own a Downtube NS bike, and have ridden Dahons.
Jerry Kroeger   Recreational Rider [Jul 16, 2006]
Strength:

Anyone from about 4' to 6' 2" will fit this bike well. Very reasonably priced. Folds up fast a will fit in a fairly small trunk.

Some assembly required
Doesn't fold small enough that I would want to do a lot of traveling with it

only available by online.

This is a really fun bike to ride, I put over 100 miles on mine the first week I had it. I own a tadpole trike, a short wheel base recumbent, a long wheelbase recumbent, a mountain bike tandem, a road bike tandem, a Trek Y-Foil and more than a couple of other bikes, I usually ride about 2000 miles per year, so I've spent some time on bicycles. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and comfort of this bike. I've had it on the limestone bike trail, on the highway, and around town. I am 6' 2" and weigh 220. It fits my grandchildren good and they love it too!

Similar Products Used: a lot of other bicycles
bike8usa   Recreational Rider [Feb 11, 2006]
Strength:

Fun to ride and very comfortable. Prompt response from Downtube. Easy to Maneuver and nimble.

You may and probably should take it to LBS for a tune up if you do not want to tinker with your own bike.

First, I love the bike. The bike can go pretty fast. It is sufficiently fast for most. Unless of course, you like to ride VERY fast then ride a road bike but road bike is not as much fun for me. DOWNTUBE is easy to maneuver and just the right size to ride around populated area as well. Most of all, it is fun and very comfortable. I love DOWNTUBE VIII FS much better than my road bike, FELT, although it cost more than 3 times. And, I just bought my FELT 3 months ago. I rode the Giant folding bike around for a month while visiting my parent. For me, DOWNTUBE is much more comfortable and fun to ride. Furthermore, DOWNTUBE ride is more stable like a full size bike than Giant folding bike. Also, the geometry of the Giant locate your center of gravity towards the rear. As such, there is a tendency to do a wheelie when riding up the curbs. As for folding, both folds with the same design. However, the DOWNTUBE has a better mechanism. After loosening the hinge, on the DOWNTUBE you need to push a pin to fold. I like this much better. It is like a safety switch. As for size after folding, it is not the smallest you can find on the market. Its folding size is competitive compare to other folding bikes on the market. And, its folded size is small enough to put into trunk of any car easily. And, DOWNTUBE bike includes a bag to carry your bike when needed. In short, I love this bike. It is fun, comfortable, and the price is great. If you like folding bike or curious of folding bike, this is a great bike to consider. For me, it was my first choice and I love it and have no regrets. Also, the owner of DOWNTUBE company is very helpful.

Similar Products Used: Giant Fold BIKE.