Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: 70.0 head, 73.0 seat
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Matte Black
Rear Der: Shimano Deore XT SGS
Pedals: Cannondale Octopus
Tires: 700 x 32c Hutchinson Flash

Zachariah   [Jan 30, 2013]
Strength:

~ With the correct gearing(Road Compact/Cyclocross)...it's beyond fast
~ Lightweight frameset/Fatty Ultra fork, upgradeable to be even lighter
~ Compliant, yet stiff frame; creamy, precise Fatty Ultra DL fork
~ Stealth Black finish is very understated and cool
~ Bulletproof, smooth, heat-treated welds
~ Beefy, 1.5" headtube

~ Pricey, for the given components now offered
~ Earlier CAAD4/CAAD5 models(2000-2003) were lighter, stiffer and 100% Handmade in USA
~ Cannondale will no longer service any Headshok fork

I have been lusting for this bike, since 2007. However, I certainly was not going to pay full retail for one. Finding one used, was even a challenge. They were all selling top-dollar, on eBay. Fast forward to 2012 - I finally find a 2001 CAAD4 Bad Boy Ultra project, with a 70mm Ultra DL Headshok. The frame was in rough shape cosmetically. The original paint had lots of scratches and chipping. The fork was rusted shut - it did not move. I paid $60 for the frame/fork/stem/bars. Once I got it, I immediately sent the Headshok to Mendon Cyclesmith, in NY for a full rebuild - after two Cannondale-authorized dealers refused to even touch it.

I decided to mask off all the decals and logos, since they were in decent shape. I considered powdercoating - but feared the high heat PC process would compromise the T6 annealing of the 6000-Series alloy. Finally, I simply roughed-up the existing paint and gave it six light coats of ceramic automotive engine enamel. After curing for a full month - the frame is about 95% of the original finish and appearance. I applied lightweight parts scavenged from my FS 26er race bike to the BBU and the final result is far better than anything Cannondale ever dreamed of; a sub 20-pound Urban Rocket. Was it worth all that wait? You BET it was!

I now have a bike I can grab and go anywhere, anytime. I no longer have to use my expensive, 15-pound road race bike - just to ride with my girlfriend on the Beach Boardwalk, or at Burning Man. If I feel like it - I can easily slip a set of Kenda Small Block 8 29er Cyclocross tires and hit the local trails. Riders on the road are simply amazed a flat-bar MTB can hold their paceline with relative ease. The Bad Boy Ultra is a wonderfully utilitarian bicycle, when the right conditions permit. All it takes is attitude, style and reasonable modicum of fitness....and this bike suddenly becomes your do-it-all SUV - on two wheels.

holden   Recreational Rider [Jul 22, 2011]
Strength:

Drivetrain, cool frame, quality wheels. Made in the good ole USA (Cannondale now makes all but it's highest end bikes in Taiwan).

Really, the most worthless saddle I've ever had the misery of sitting on, entry-level disc brakes.

(actually a 2010 model) After replacing the grips, tires and totally awful saddle, I like this bike a lot. At 6'4", 225, I wish the disc brakes were better...the Juicy 3s feel flimsy and cheap--a big deal at my size.

The SRAM 7 components shift smoothly and the bike handles well. I bought this bike because it's made in the USA (frame, anyway) and I think the Head Shok lefty fork is really cool. Overall, I like this bike but wish Cannondale had upgraded the brakes and saddle.

TheDarkAce   Commuter [Sep 26, 2009]
Strength:

Versatile for off road, road and commuting.

Better stock saddle.

Just bought a 2009 Bad Boy Ultra from REI even though this review says 2007. Best all around bike I have ever had. So much fun this bike is. I have had other Cannondales (Synapse road bike and F7 mtn bike), but this bike rides the best for my body and weight. It is so versatile that I can put the original 700c road wheels and I am off riding with the roadies. If I want to hit the trails with my mtn bike buddies, I change up to 26inch mtn bike wheels with off road tires. I can use this bike for commuting by putting racks in the back since it came with eyelets. Disc brakes are awesome in wet and dry conditions. Added a Brooks B17 Special saddle and Crank Brothers Joplin remote seatpost and this bike totally rocks !!! Looks are top notch and of course quality of the frame is Cannondale's specialty. Made in the USA baby !!!

anthony rinehart   Commuter [Sep 02, 2009]

the toe straps came off as soon as i got home from the first ride. the hand grips also started sliding off soon there after.

this bike rocks! i took it out the day i got it, and it took a bit of getting used to how narrow the tires are, since i had only rode mountain bikes, but it didnt take long. soon i was tearing down twisty roads at 30 mph. even uphills, i still hit about 10 mph with no strain, thanks to the amazing gear ratios. i really like the shifters, and how easy it is to change gears with out changing my grip on the brake levers. the disc brakes stop full speed at almost a scary quickness( i thought i was gonna rip the tire from the rim!). i put a odometer, led light system, and a topeak rear dynapack with a cable lock and tire repair kit, and its still lighter than any bike i have ever owned. it also looks so cool.

Daisy   Recreational Rider [Jul 30, 2009]
Strength:

Light, Made in North America, Good components (I prefer the SRAM to SHIMANO), Lockout shock which I use alot, really attractive bike without the flash that tends to attract thieves.

The front fork doesn't have lot of clearance so it's hard to get different treads to fit - and be able to put the valve cap on still.

I got this as my first high end bike and I am very pleased with it. I was looking at Hybrids and this model was definitely out of my price range but by some stroke of luck I found a barely used one a year old for just in my budget.

Similar Products Used: Nothing that even comes close to comparing, I had an old Diamond Back before this.
bbultra   Commuter [Apr 07, 2009]
Strength:

Smooth Ride, On/Off for HeadShock, Quitness, Handling, Versatility, Unique Paint Scheme, Reliability

Some may say the bike is overpriced considering components. Its a Cannondale. They are pricey bikes. Keep in mind that you are paying for a Cannondale and not the "highest" end components. I never had any problems with the bike's components 2000+ miles at that...flawless

If you are looking for a great ride, this very well may be the bike you are looking for. This bike was designed with the commuter in mind. I had my bike for a little more than 2 years, and I have no complaints. Commuting is a breeze and almost effortless. Oh yeah, there is the option of changing the 700 wheels to MTB.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh, Kona, and GT
slimwonder   Commuter [Nov 27, 2008]
Strength:

Versatility. Great fun bike. Looks good.

Cost. By the time I outfitted the 26"knobbies with rotors and a cassette, I probably could have bought an entry level road bike AND a fixed tail mountain bike, but neither would have really fit the type of riding I do mostly.

I bought this bike, because I needed one bike that I could use for occasionally commuting and family bike outings. I probably over bought, but once I began to ride, I loved the bike so much I began riding more and more. It's fast and nimble. I am able to dart in and out of traffic and have begun commuting more often. I have since purchased a pair of 26" wheels and knobbie tires and have swapped them out with the stock set to go off road a few times. I feel much more comfortable hitting curbs and pot holes with the mountain bike set up, but the 700c sun rims with the high pressure stock tires are way faster on the road. This bike has really rejuvenated my love of cycling.

dgduris   Commuter [Nov 10, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, maneuverable, good brakes in the wet, smooth ride, awesome looks.

Much heavier than my road bike (a Cannondale Synapse - which has spoiled me on the hills in Providence).

Great bike for city riding. I used to ride my mountain bike - with Michelin Commuter tires) to work but switched to the BBU because the discs make it safer during the New England winters though which I ride.

This is a great bike for city commuting. The ride is smooth enough on the beat-up streets of Providence that the HeadShok is worth the extra weight you have to haul up the hills.

My office is near an art school. There is actually a bike parking lot. I get tons of compliments on the bike all of the time. It just looks great...and mean.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F-400
billbadboyultra   Recreational Rider [Sep 09, 2008]
Strength:

Looks
Lock out shock
Saddle is ok with bike shorts on
Great ride
Fast
Made in the USA
Did I mention how cool this bike looks?

29ers take some getting used to
Components can be better for the $$$
Thats about it

I recently purchased an 08 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra. I felt obligated to review it b/c i had looked at all these reviews before buying it. i absolutely love this bike and love riding it. It looks really cool and rides great. i agree with some of the negatives being the components could be better for the price but at the end of the day the bike does what it sets out to do and thats to put a smile on my face. i have no regrets and look fwd to taking this bike out for long rides. the 29ers took some getting used to after being accustomed to 26ers. bike is fast, can avg 17mph without little or no effort. i feel the bike was a little pricey but for a lock out shock (that i use often)disc brakes all around and made in the USA its a good purchase.

puckpack   Recreational Rider [Jul 18, 2008]
Strength:

Quick, nimble, well built. Versatile and sooooo cool looking! It is a comfortable ride.

None yet! See how it holds up.

I was an avid mountain biker until I became; married, a father and mostly lazy and fat. My Stumpjumper sat unused for two years! I just sold it and picked up the BBU, it is amazing! So far, I make better time on the roads and paved trails then I did with my Stumpjumper when I was in shape. I am a big fella (260lbs) and I feel very secure on it. Great for getting back into biking, plus if I get back into shape I can make few changes and get back on the trails!