Diamondback Edgewood Hybrid Bike

• DB DLX 2-Density Sport Comfort Saddle
  • DB Dual Density Ergo shaped grips
  • Puncture-resistant Tires

Peter Wolfe   [Aug 18, 2014]
Strength:

Can't give any real strengths yet. Just got it and I'm having some of the well written of problems. Although I can say the Edgewood feels comfortable and for the price will work out fine for my needs, exercise.

The assembly guide is worthless. It gives you some static adjustments which is common sense for anyone with a little mechanical ability. Of course you're told the bike was assembled and tested at the factory, then disassembled and put in the box for shipment. I can say the bicycle I took out of the box had never been assembled and tested, period. The cable on the derailleur was so wrong it would have been impossible and was to test the bike.

The Diamondback Edgewood Hybrid Bike is a good bike for the price. You get what you pay for. I paid $240. at Sports Authority internet site, while it was on special sale. I think the company has a very poor QC department. Would I recommend this bike, I don't think so. It's too much of a crap shoot as to what condition you may receive it in. If buying one is something you really want to do, assembled and tested is the only way I would ever buy a Diamondback product.

k t   [Jul 24, 2014]
Strength:

Light, Fast and maneuverable

front derailleur could not be adjusted not to skip the 2nd chain ring, make lots of noise or not shift to 2nd chain ring on 1st or second try.

The store tech tried for about 90 minutes to get this adjusted. He said he had never seen one do this so we grabbed the other bike in my size. It had the same problem. They said they would order new derailleurs to fix the issue. I returned to the store and found both bikes on the rack for sale without new derailleurs. I am afraid to purchase one from them now.

Kevin Kramer   Recreational Rider [Oct 27, 2009]
Strength:

Comfortable. Like the gear ratios

Chain skips to the point riding this is frustrating. This started a less than 90 days. Have not gotten satisfaction from Dick's or Diamondback.

2008. Like the gearing and the ride. However, the chain skips, multiple trips to Dicks, call and letters to Diamondback have not resulted in a fix.

Ventruck   Recreational Rider [Nov 27, 2008]
Strength:

Price, 700c, adjustible and sleek-looking Spinner fork (2007 model), ergo grips are nice, red color, tires, reasonable range of adjustibility for suspension and stem, weight, strong enough brakes,

Crankset feels a bit flexy when pounding uphill, seat is too chunky, suspension seatpost, Acera rear derailleur is sometimes tricky to adjust, shifters can be uncomfortable for some-especially during quick shifting, threaded fork (when threadless are unltimately better and cheaper) newer models than 2007 are worse...I spent too much on parts to play with.

The 2007 model is great and I used it to experiement with learning bicycle assembly. The adjustible Spinner fork is a nice addition under the low price tag and operates as well as it looks. I wasn't looking for the fastest bike out there, but this peforms better than expected. The gear range and the tire setup is perfect to go anywhere that isn't too extreme. The low-end wheels stay true for a decent amount of time. I myself changed up a lot of the bike (spending too much and learning bicycle assembly), but the frame always feels great and compact while still being responsive. The bike looks partly like some sleeker and faster MTB 29er hardtail.

The newer models lose the 8-speed, and Spinner fork, which were major highlights of the bike. They also replaced the retired Acera derailleur with an Altus, which isn't of any improvement. The 2007 Edgewood seemed like the better bike...infact it's pretty much the higher priced/grade 2009 Menona without the discs and crankset.

mattdombi   Recreational Rider [Nov 13, 2008]
Strength:

The bike is easily adjustible to fit the flexibility of my knee. Enough gear choices to keep a good pace when dealing with hills and wind. Solid brakes. Shifting gears is very simple.

Slight gear slippage after 3 months, but nothing that is a problem.

I am getting back into riding a bike after knee replacement surgery. My 15 year old Huffy mountain bike was not going to cut it. The Edgewood has been excellent. Gears were well tuned by the tech at Dick's. The bike has been easy to ride even in the winds along Lake Erie.

Steve Keney   Recreational Rider [Oct 03, 2008]
Strength:

Price, Shimano components, 700 size wheels, durable, reliable

none for this price

This is a good bike for the price. It has all the features I was looking for in a bike: 700 size wheels, front shock, decent deraillers, easy fire shifters, adjustable stem, decent v brakes. I've ridden it for about a year and a half and no problems. Very comfortable and easy to dial in a good fit. Bar ends really make a difference on longer rides to give more hand positions. I do my own maintenance: adjust cables, adjust spokes, lubricate drive train. Those who complain about rear gears slipping need to make some minor adjustments to the barrel end and/or cable. There are plenty of web sites that have great info on bike maintenance. The '08 models have lower quality components than the '07.

Similar Products Used: assorted mountain bikes
Karl Decker   Commuter [Sep 19, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight, Good front shocks.

Small peddals

Great bike, Lightweight durable and large enough to accomidate my 6'5" frame. I ride on and off road during my 25 mile rounbd trip to work and back. The rapidfire style shifters are perfect and the bike is easy to heft on to trolleys and busses.

Similar Products Used: Trek 700 multitrack
Tamaranc   Recreational Rider [Aug 25, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, easy to shift, easy to ride up hills, seems light, great price, great bike for a recreational rider or someone who just wants to get exercise.

No water bottle mounts or place to add a kickstand.

I tried the Diamondback Comfort bicycle but it seemed sluggish. I then tried the Schwinn Hybrid from Target but the handlebars did not adjust high enough to be comfortable. The Edgewood is both fast and comfortable.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn 700C Trail Way and Diamondback Wildwood
Mike Hatchett   Recreational Rider [Aug 18, 2008]
Strength:

Construction, shifting

Standard seat is a little uncomfortable

Bike is a 2008 model. I required an entry level bike to ride on the numerous trails in the Washington DC area. This appears to have been a good choice. Shifting has proven excellent without any problems to date. Purchased bike from a local bike shop (right off of Mt Vernon Trail) although big box may have been cheaper. Very good sales and test ride service. The bike shop set it up and properly sized it for me, added desired accessories and had me on my way. After a month told to bring it back and they would service it for me. After that any basic adjustments for a year were free. I don't think a big box would do this. So far it has been a good choice.

jsutton012   Recreational Rider [Jul 22, 2008]
Strength:

I love the trigger-type shifters, and the size of the bike. I'm taller than most people I know, and most bikes I looked at would be too small for me. I also like the size of the tires. They make it an easier ride on a paved road/trail, and still have enough traction for wet surfaces and/or gravel. It also has space for two water cages, so I can go on longer rides without having to take a backpack to carry more water.

The original seat that came with the bike was wide and uncomfortable. That's the biggest problem. This isn't really necessary, but it would be much better to have disc brakes, because the V brakes slip in the rain.

I got the bike in May 2007. I was very pleased with it, because I had previously owned a secondhand Nishiki model that was basically junk with wheels. I did like the seat on my old bike, and switched that with the seat that came with the Edgewood. The ride is very smooth. This is the first bike I have owned with shocks, and I like that they are adjustable, making it more versatile, depending on what terrain I'm riding on. I'm fourteen years old, and haven't yet decided whether I prefer road riding or mountain biking. This bike is capable of both. Good for beginners, I think.