Gary Fisher Utopia Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 15.5", 17.5", 19", 21"
Colors: Silver Metallic/Warm Silver
Rear Der: Shimano Deore LX SGS
Pedals: aluminum w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 35c Bontrager Select

Ben Smith   Recreational Rider [Apr 09, 2012]
Strength:

Smooth gear changing
Reasonable weight.
Suspension works well.

Noisy and poor brakes.

I found the Utopia very attractive to look at and is a joy to ride. It is a well balanced bike and handles brilliantly, it is very smooth at going up and down the gears. However the brakes are very poor and really let down a good overall bike, they squeal and often there isn't enough friction between the pads and the disc itself, I have more than once pulled the disc brake apart and tried to rough up the pads and remove dirt from the disc. This works for about 5 miles or so then the dreaded squealing returns. Although it is a fantastic bike once it has some decent brakes fitted.

Anon   Commuter [Jul 08, 2011]
Strength:

Fun to ride, fast on road (17-18mph without breaking a sweat).
Lockable shock works great.
Good quality paint job (no chipping despite power wash and hail storm abuse)
Fairly light weight for such a large and solid frame with shock.

Horrible useless disc brakes.
Hard seat
Loose grips
Mixed components
Bolts under seat, on handlebar and on frame are all rusted after 3 months.

2011 Trek Utopia.

Bought the bike as a first, not sure if I'd ride pavement or trails.

Have been back to the LBS about 10-15 times to buy stuff, try and have them look at something or buy repair or replacement stuff.

The saddle is hard as a rock and shocks to the rear tire are transferred straight to the saddle.

The brakes squeal, rub and don't always provide full stopping power. Sometimes none at all. They'll stop squealing and actually work better in the rain, for some reason.

Got first flat within a few weeks (500 miles), due to a tiny rock lodged in the tube, arguably it must've been there since the installation by Trek.

Rear derailleur cable and ferrule was all worn out at 700 miles, rendering the shifting frustrating. Needed new cable housings and cable.

Tires wore out by about 1200 miles (with rotation at 800); could've kept them going longer, but the way they became flat with huge knobs on the side made them ride unstable in turns.

The real fun problem I've now discovered at 1400 miles: the front disc is no longer aligned with the brake housing. It rubs on the housing of the disc brake assembly. The LBS refused to help me with this problem (as well as the above problems), tactfully dismissing my requests for maintenance or the free tune ups they promised. So I put a flat washer by the quick-release bolt to move the disc into alignment; it is now back to the middle of the brake house assembly between the pads, but stopping force from the front brake is almost non-existent. The wheel and disc itself is not bent and runs completely true, so I'm guessing the problem is the quick release bolt/nut has worn.

The grips do not stay on the handlebars, constantly have to twist them back on.

The crank/bottom bracket is making cracking sounds, as is the steering/stem. There is also a clicking sound when pedaling, coming from the pedals. Applying lube or washing it hasn't resolved it, and as I mentioned, the authorized trek dealer I bought it from isn't providing the tune-up as promised.

Brian   Recreational Rider [Apr 15, 2011]
Strength:

Lock-out front fork, 700c "knobby" tires, disc brakes, and overall ride-ability.

None so far. I know most complain about their saddles, but so far so good; its comfortable enough for me.

2011 Gary Fisher Utopia by Trek. Excellent bike for the price, and I really love the options I get with this bike. It rides smooth and fast down the streets, and I can jump off to a dirt trail with no hesitation.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M800 mt bike, c 1997.
mehallez5   Recreational Rider [Jul 04, 2009]
Strength:

Frame, Seat post.

Disc brakes, tires, component group is average at best, fork is spongey, but I do weigh in at 250lbs.

It's a 2009. Good frame, fits me well being a clydesdale rider. I changed the tires to something with a less aggressive tread, and the fact I had three flats in as many rides! Disc brakes are absolute garbage. They squeal like a bottle rocket going off. I may put on some V-brakes and take off these disc's. Other than that, it has been relatively good.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback hardtails, Cannondale R1000
huntda   Commuter [Feb 14, 2009]
Strength:

Durable, well balanced, and fast for the size and weight. For a mid-priced commuter bike, you can't beat the Utopia. The geometry is even better if your heigth is in the torso, not the legs, like me. I'm 6', 220 lbs (down from 250 in 7 months) but most of my heigth is in the torso.

Weight and mediocre components. Shifting is sometimes unpredictable (Shimano 105) and the disc brakes will quickly teach you the art of adjusting and replacing pads yourself. None of these weakness diminish the strengths of this bike.

Great bike for commuting; albeit, a little heavy. The the money, the bike is honey. The packaged components are basic entry level items; however, the frame is sturdy, durable, and will yield many years of service and pleasure.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback Topanga.
will   Recreational Rider [May 08, 2007]
Strength:

Smooth, road bike fast, good handling, looks.

vibrations on seat during off road. I'm used to a full suspension with my old specilaized stumpjumper. Tires lifting up pebbles hitting downtube frame and sometimes gets in your shoes, still heavier than aluminum road bike.

Nice, smooth, and fast ride on bike paths and along bike lanes. 75 mm travel Manitou shocks helps with small road bumps. Tried riding through light gravel dirt road. Experience some vibrations on the seat because it’s a hardtail. I noticed the tires are lifting some pebbles that some of them tiny stones got in my shoes, I guess WTB interwolf got smaller tractions on its tires, compared to regular mtb tires with wider tractions. But when I got back to a pave road, city, bike path, bike lanes or curb sidewalks, ah! I think that’s where the strength is, smooth ride. Went riding with a friend on his road bike and I was able to keep up. The bike is lighter than a mtb, but still slight heavier compared to a regular aluminum road bike. I’m gradually switching to road cycling and this bike is helping me to transition to it, and I plan to keep it.

Similar Products Used: 1999 specialized stumpjumper, 1981 shimano aluminum racer bike
rhino biker   Recreational Rider [Feb 06, 2007]
Strength:

29er, strong frame, high quality, decent component set for the price, very stable at speed, Genesis geometry.

The stock fork isn't appropriate for anything more than bike paths. Rear wheel clearance is tight for high volume MTB tires unless the FD is upgraded.

I bought the Utopia because I wanted to see if enjoyed mountain biking. Neeless to say, I did.

Consequently, I replaced the stock fork with the 29er REBA Race fork. Replaced the FD with a Shimano XT derailler to add clearance. Upgraded the tires to higher volume 29 x 2.1 Motoraptors. Now it's fully the equivalent of the Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er and I'm very happy with it.

Similar Products Used: tested various hardtails
scubaklook   Commuter [Apr 21, 2005]
Strength:

Everything except the pedals

The pedals and umm nothing.

I purchased this bike to make the 7mi commute to school. I put some road tires on it and was in business. This is a very nice bike. It shifts really smooth even when pedalling hard up a hill. The front shock is nice to take the jarring out of holes in the road. I orginally had some problems with the disc brakes, they were not set up correctly and after my first ride the front wheel would not spin freely. I ended up having to take it back to the bike shop to have them fix it. Other than the first problem I like the discs, they work well even when it is wet outside. The pedals sucked, I switched them out for some clipless shimanos. I really like this bike, I wouldnt take it offroading or anything despite being a hybrid, but it is good to get you around.