Giant Cypress DX Hybrid Bike

Giant Cypress DX Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: Aluxx aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 15", 17", 19", 21", 23", womens 14", womens 17", womens 19"
Colors: Blue/Silver, Green/Silver, Silver/Charcoal
Pedals: platform
Tires: 700 x 40c Cross Comfort

[Sep 02, 2018]
fritchy

Strength:

This bike is very comfortable with a higher seating position, yet handles great. Many "comfort" bikes handle poorly. This bike handles more like a road bike. I find it really the best of both worlds. Also, it is much lighter than most hybrids at this price point. Probably due to only being a 7 speed. It has less gears which add weight. And it has also been very reliable so far.

I wish it had a lever shifter instead of twist.

Price Paid:
309.00
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Jul 22, 2018]
norcalval

Strength:

This is one of the best hybird bikes i have ever owned. I have owned a few like a dozen different kinds. The Cypress is hands down the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden. And its fast on the road . luv this bike

The tires get caught in the road transition sometimes.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2016
[Jul 13, 2016]
Jason S

Strength:

Shifts are quick and crisp

seat hurts my tailbone after long rides

Purchased this bicycle used off of a guy on craigslist and it is by far the best bike I’ve ever owned. I’m not sure what year this bike is (maybe 2010) but it rides very smoothly. It has Shimano Alivio ‘rapid fire’ shifters, rear derailleur and a Shimano C101 front derailleur and shifts are quick and crisp. I never have any issues changing gears, sometimes I hear a little clicking while peddling in certain gears but I’ve never lost the chain. Brakes are the cantilever type and could be better, but they’re certainly adequate to stop. The seat hurts my tailbone after long rides, but this is a bicycle saddle not a lazy boy.

The only mechanical issue I’ve had so far was the valve stem in the inner tube leaking but I believe it’s from years of sitting.

[Jun 05, 2015]
Speaks

Strength:

Excellent recreational bike. I use to ride a road bike and do the 100 mile rides, but now that I am older I went for a more relaxing bike. This one is Great ! Easy to ride, aesthetically pleasing to look at, and the gears shift smoothly. Excellent purchase for me.

Not a speed bike.

For recreational riding, you won't go wrong buying this bike.

[May 15, 2010]
Lucy

Strength:

Easy re-positioning of handlebars and seat. good looking, well made, good handle grips.

I have had a few difficult to fix punctures in the "puncture resistant" tyres, but all is well at the moment.

An excellent bike, easy to ride, 24 gears make light work of all gradients. makes for easy long journeys, nothing major gone wrong yet, best bike i've had.

[Apr 11, 2010]
bikermomma

Strength:

The 24 gear shifting allows for tons of options for hilly areas. The shocks have been a huge blessing due to my back issues. I love that the handle bars are adjustable and the grips are wide-it allows to various placements on my longer rides.

I am a 37 year old woman, 230 pounds, who hasn't ridden a bike in over 20 years. I have major back issues and searched many bikes for a great form of exercise. I wanted a bike for the pleasure of the ride, not focusing on building speed at this point. I am so pleased with my purchase. In the past month I have easily put over 150 miles on this bike. Today, I did a 45 mile ride with no problems at all. This is a solid ride -smooth and comfortable. I would strongly recommend this bike for "newer" riders or those who just love to ride. BTW, I think I'm hooked...addicted:)

[Oct 07, 2009]
jackfish

Strength:

Flexible and easy adjustments for handlebars and seat. Solid ride. Good speed for a hybrid.

Getting the gear shifting tuned right took some time, but all is good now.

I've got about 200 miles on this bike now. I use it mostly for a daily 12 mile ride for exercise. I put the fenders and rear rack on it from my 15 year old Giant Nutra and replaced the seat with a Serfas RX. Since my rides are in the early morning I also use Serfas CP-1000 combo lights.

This bike is about perfect for my application. It is solid and fits me well. It is much faster than my old Nutra with narrower, higher pressure tires and taller gearing, although I am thinking about changing out the crankset for lower gearing. I would certainly recommend the Giant Cypress DX. The 2010 model looks even better with improved components.

Giant Nutra

[Jul 01, 2009]
Boxarox

Strength:

Almost infinitely adjustable geometry. I have played the seat height, distance forward and aft, handlebar height and rake to adjust the bike to the most comfortable position for long (20 to 50 mile) rides on various surfaces. Solid derailuers. Good brakes.

None found yet.
At first I didn't like the seat, then I discovered how to move it further back on the frame for greater comfort and it is just fine. However, I never had any expectation of great comfort. Its'a bike not a Lazy Boy

I am 55 yrs, 6'1" 270 lbs. I was looking for a bike that would handle the paved and limestone trails in our area and my weight and height. The DX fills the bill. I ride between 100 and 130 miles per week and have had no major problems with the bike. The lower bracket (the part where the pedals are) loosened up after about 500 miles. One shop said it needed to be replaced, however, Spokes was able to tighten it and the bike rides fine. When I over inflate the stock tires to 85 or 90 lbs I notice a big difference in rolling resistance. I find myself riding more paved trails lately and I am adding narrower, (32 mm vs 38mm stock) high pressure tires (100 PSI vs 75 PSI stock) because I hate being passed by the guys on road bikes, especially guys who are older than me. I comfortably maintain a 15.5 - 16 mph pace on a 20 or 30 mile ride with the stock setup and am hoping for 17 to 19mph with the new tires.

Ross 10 speed circa 1980

I have never ridden a $1500, $2500, or more expensive bike but I find it difficult to beleive that if I'd paid 3 times or 5 times more money that I could be 3 or 5 times more satified with the bike. Like everthing the first 90% is moderatly priced. The closer to 100% satisfaction you get, the percentage of satisfaction decreases exponentially while the cost increases exponentially. The first 90% is 500 bucks the last 10% is 2 grand.

[Nov 24, 2008]
Kenneth A. Hawko

Strength:

Reliabilty and looks!

Flat tires due to the spoke guard.

I am a good size guy @ 6'4" & 245 pounds; I purchased this bike due to the size of 23". My other bike was a Giant Eddie Bauer which was a 21.5". The owner of the bike shop stated the other bike was too small, he was correct! This bike has been many miles with me and has been awesome, good handling, fast, reliable! Now I am stationed on Guam, so the bike see's some hot miles!

Giant Eddie Bauer 21.5" (nice bike)

[Jun 27, 2008]
anderson.jones1

Strength:

Worth the money and well made. Tough!

The stock seat!

The Cypress is worth the money. I have owned a Giant Yukon which was great, but for pure recreation, light trals, and paved roads for speed the Cypress is the way to go. The stock seat is big. It's comfortable, but big. If you are riding for speed, you will need to change the stock seat. I am a big man. 5-10, 245lbs and it holds me just fine. This bike is tough.

2003 Giant Youkon