Giant FCR 2 Hybrid Bike

• Stem: 3D forged
  • Seatpost: Aluminum, 27.2x350mm

[Oct 31, 2015]
Kyle Carpenter

Strength:

Comfortable Frame Geometry, Excellent for commuting, very comfortable in longer rides, you don't loose a large amount of power like others in the same class. Carbon Formula FOrk is comfortable on the shoulders, bar ends and grip are superb. Riding position is gravy up to about 38-40mph, it's hard to tuck into, but to be honest I have no trouble pulling away from the A groups when I take it for the weekly rides which always amazes people.

Front Derailleur, Rear Hanger is weak and bends easily. Must upgrade the hanger to a CNC machined one ASAP if you plan on rough terrain, or jumping it.

I love this bike, I've had 3 bikes over the last 15 years, and this one has stayed with me since 2008. I have the FCR2 with stock wheelset, crankset. I've only upgraded tires, seat, and bearings. The hanger was pronounced dead at 2000miles. I absolutely love this bike and will keep it till it falls apart, which may be never now that I'm older and have stopped hopping curbs. In the future, I would like to change the crank and wheels but that's really not a big deal as I am not a competitor.

[Feb 08, 2009]
spinsalot

Strength:

durable and precise sram components (except the front derailleur), affordable quality, cool looking bike-especially with the xero lite black rims and spokes.

shimano front derailleur very touchy indexed, way too much brake dust, kenda tires susceptible to frequent flats, weld beads not smooth.

if you're only going to own 1 bike, this may be it. it's the only one i need. you can easily convert this bike to commute or tour. i recommend it for the rider wanting more comfort than a road bike, or more speed and distance than a hybrid or mountain. In all my years of riding, i never was able to ride further than than 55 miles until i got this bike. i managed to ride a century a few months after buying it. for me, a lot of it has to do with comfort-on what i refer to as a flat-handlebar road bike. ok, giant calls this a "fitness bike." whatever. i'm more comfortable with the relatively upright position vs a true road bike. my back, hands and shoulders feel so much better with much less weight and strain being put on them. and with my weight being 220 lb, the stock 28c tires are favorable over a true road bike's 23c. this bike and i have been all over 5 states riding and i wouldn't even consider replacing it.

canondale r500, trek 370.

[Jul 13, 2008]
skilletscuz

Just wanted to say that this bike is a real great buy for what its worth. Its a fab bike for entry to moderate lvl, and those who wanna hit some real speed w/o braking a $1k bike apart.

It doubles as a comfortable commuter bike and also as a respectable roadbike at 24lbs (i weighed it myself lol). I bike for fitness and leaning into competitive, and do ALOT of climbing since i live in alaska. On some sharp declines, ive gotten to 40+mph on 27th gear a few times, which i think this bike might not be quite stiff enuf to pull off safely, consistently. But it
does handle very good up to 36mph lol.

I do plan to upgrade to get into that, but the Giant FCR2 is a beautiful and good bike for the buy. Should come with Alex Rims DA-22, mine came w/ black spokes....the bar grips are superb and the bar ends are oh so helpful.....