Giant FCR 3 Hybrid Bike

• Cassette: SRAM PG-830 11-28T
  • Seatpost: Aluminum, 27.2x300mm

[Dec 28, 2013]
Paul

Strength:

Sturdy aluminum frame, comfortable seat, brakes worked well.

The shifters were junk. Did'nt like the cage pedals. COuld have come in more colorful frame choices. I bit pricey for what you get

The FCR3 was my first hybrid bike. I really didn't know what was out there back in 2009. I ended up buying the cheapest hybrid bike my LBS had in stock. I paid $550 and first thing I did was replace the pedals. THe shifters were giving me problems from the get-go. They were junk shifters. Had 3 front gears and had tyrouble shifting between all 3. The rear shifters worked fine. The fork is made of chromoly steel. There was a bit of weight to the bike. If your a serious cyclist- spend more and get a better bike. THis bike is made for occasional weekend enthusiasts. Not meant to take on long bike hikes. I recently sold mine for a 2014 Giant Escape RX composite full carbon hybrid.

[May 14, 2013]
Ted keirnan

Strength:

Comfortable and easy to ride. Affordable and has held up great.

Can you put arrow bars on it???? Not a road bike.

Bought the FCR3 about 5 years ago and used it for commutIng to work and back, 12 miles total, 4 to 5 days a week.
For the price and durability it has been well worth it. It is also a good bike for distance riding if you want to use it for
Exercising. Did change the pedals because I wanted clip on's. The stock pedals were fine if that's what you want. Never
Changed the seat.

[Jan 14, 2011]
B

Thought everyone would be interested in knowing what the weight is on the Giant FCR3 25.57 lbs on a calibrated scale.

[Dec 09, 2010]
Thomas Bennett

Strength:

Wide gear range. Ez shifting, Good brakes,and nice fit and finish.

seat just doesn't fit right. Braze on's for bottles and pumps could be located in a different spot. Cable for the rear could be routed differently. Altus deraileur looks clunky.

This is for a 2009 FCR3. Good bike, nice components, Grip shape takes some getting use to. Bought to get back into shape after medical treatments. Bottom line is would buy again.

n/a

[Apr 13, 2010]
B007dep1

Strength:

Light weight buttery smooth performance.

like everyone change the pedals out. The original wheels were bad but I think they are discontinued anyway. warranty replaced them for free. Alexrim DA22 are the replacement wheels and I haven't had any problems at all with them. They have some bad reviews but mine are awesome so far.

My bike was bought in 09. Best bike I have ever owned for comfort and speed.

Cannondale 2002 mountainbike 2000 bucks in
2002. I like the giant better.

[Aug 14, 2009]
Shield39

Strength:

Comfortable, well-made, relatively inexpensive, geared very similarly to a road bike, good for roads or packed gravel (i.e. rails to trails).

Stock pedals, stock saddle, not for off-road use (i.e. deep gravel, mud, dirt trails).

I decided to ride in the MS 150 this year but have always been a mountain biker. My full suspension mountain wasn't getting much use anymore and wouldn't work for a long road haul so I started doing some research. Decided that the hybrid style or fitness bike would probably suit my needs best since I don't plan on any competitive riding and I prefer to have a bit more upright riding position. Checked out several bikes that met my criteria all similarly priced but was only able to test-ride three of them where I live. The Giant was an easy choice since it just felt right. I have around 300 miles on it now with my longest single day ride at 62 miles and am completely satisfied considering the price I paid. Sure, the components could be better and I immediately replaced the pedals with SPD (they seemed pretty flimsy). I could have spent more to get better components but I decided to replace any components later that I might have trouble with(probably much later...I imagine they'll last quite a while). I also preferred the paint job on the FCR3 over the FCR1 or 2 but that's just personal preference. I imagine that there are other similar bikes that are just as good but if it fits, you won't go wrong with this one. Bottom line: do your homework by looking through reviews, test ride all of the options that you can, but if you like this one, you won't be disappointed. If you're into competitive riding, by all means look to a traditional road bike.

Specialized FSR

[Jul 17, 2009]
pkduck

Strength:

Great for city commute.

Heavier than any beginner road bike. Not as cool as any road bike.

Brought this for commute to work last summer. I really want to buy a road bike just because but I want to ride fast. The saleman talk me into buying the FCR 3 and told me that it will be easier to ride a flat bar for city commute than a road bike. This bike is a little bit heavy since I have to carry the bike up two flight of narrow stair every time after a ride. Not as cool as a road bike but I still like it. Need to change the saddle to a Specialized Avatar.

[Jul 03, 2009]
ps249

Strength:

Nice strong frame. Fast bike. Lightweight

pedals

Got tired of the mountain bikes after 16 years so I finally ditched it and settled for the Giant FCR3 hybrid bike. This bike is so much comfortable than a mountain bike. Plus its faster at least by 3 MPH

first hybrid I owned

[Mar 25, 2009]
Dick Wilson

Strength:

Durable frame.

Weak brakes, upgraded brake pads

I have a 2008 model. Good for fitness and rides up 20 miles. Components have held up to about 700 miles of riding.

[Oct 31, 2008]
Tom W

Strength:

24 speed good frame and componets

none so far

I was looking for a bicycle that I could use on the road and on most trails,
this bicycle is great on roads and good on trails.

Trek 7000