KHS Inc. urban-Xpress Hybrid Bike

KHS Inc. urban-Xpress Hybrid Bike

HYBRID/TOURING BIKE

[May 14, 2017]
paul hackney

Strength:

dependability, comfort to ride,

disc brakes complicated and have to be replaced at bike shop, I prefer disc brakes.

when my son was 11 we went to San Francisco and rented bikes. They were KHS Urban express. we rode them everywhere including over the golden gate bridge. when we got back to florida I began looking for one and found a used one that had only been ridden a couple of times with disc brakes. right after that I became a single parent. My son rode this bike to middle school and then high school (he got a car at 16) never a problem with the bike. probably 15 miles a day for 4 years. also I ride the bike all the time. I can honestly say this bike has been ridden 15,000 miles or more. Once every eighteen months it gets a tune up. It gets ridden every day and even though my son has a car he still rides it for exercise, like me he loves to ride. This bike is an icon and looks and rides great. They are very rare in Florida. It is very tough with a middle schooler riding it for years. It is icon, KHS should be proud. Is it wrong to love a bike?

[Oct 03, 2013]
Gary Carlson

Strength:

Durable, comfortable

Weight

I bought this bike in January, 2007. I've had very little trouble with it after riding it for 6700 miles. I did have a repair done on the rear axle and replaced the shifters and front deralleur about 3 years ago. Neither was expensive. The bike is solid as a rock and as I use it, it's ideal. I have worn out a pair of 700 X 35 tires and a pair of 28s. The 35s are very comfortable but take a bit more energy to push than the 28s.

[Aug 12, 2012]
TJ

Strength:

Great value for the money, steel frame, fast and nimble, just feels right.

Wheels seem a tad weak.

I must say this bike took me completely by surprise. I had been shopping for a bike for a while and actually returned two (Cannondale Quick 6 and GT Avalanche 2.0) before I found this beauty. Being that Im a big guy 6'5 300+ it was getting increasingly difficult to find a hybrid bike that would work for me, but when I purchased the 2010 KHS Urban Express XXL it was a match made in heaven. The frame is cro-moly and has no problem supporting my weight and smooths out all the bumps. Yes the bike is heavy by hybrid standards but it still is super light compared to other bikes Ive ridden. Its fast and I love the gearing, the shifters work perfectly and the Acera derailer does a great job (much better then the Alivio on the Quick). Overall I could not be happier with my bike and Id like to also thank the guys down at Houston Bicycle for helping me out, they know their stuff and are great to work with.

[May 02, 2011]
Martin

Strength:

Value, comfort, functional, rugged. Has bosses for mudguards and racks.

The seat is a bit wide, makes my glutes sore, but I'm used to vary narrow racing saddles.

I purchased this bike as a purely utilitarian commuter. That's exactly what it is, nothing fancy, servicable, easy to ride, and rugged. It is a great value.

[Aug 23, 2009]
Leipster

Strength:

Steel frame, value. Double wall rims.

Nothing yet.

Recently purchased a 2009 Urban Xpress at a bike store that I pass when I ride into the office. I was using a no name mountain bike to commute in and the ride was uncomfortable and not enjoyable. I was looking for a commuter bike that was steel and had a large chain ring and under $1000. The steel bike would help absorb the horrible road I have to endure on my route compared to my old aluminum garage sale bike. I get a downhiller on the way in and my legs just couldn't keep up the smaller chain ring on the Mtb. I tested a Lemond street bike with flat bars, a Kona dr. Dew with hydraulic brakes and a Jamis Coda - all good bikes. You just can't beat the value that this bike brings, the components are decent on a stiff frame, the comfort level is much more correct versus my mtb and it's much much faster. No need to modify this bike it's a get up and go.

Kona, jamis, lemond.

[Aug 29, 2008]
Amber

Strength:

Sturdy, speedy, smooth, without fancy suspension gear.

No women's frame models

I'm loving my new 2008 KHS Urban Xpress. Previous reviewers rate it as heavy. I was skeptical of getting a steel frame, but actually it weighs the same (27 lbs) as the Marin aluminum hybrid I was comparing to, and cost less. The steel frame is very light and the bike just wants to GO. Very quick and shifting is a breeze. Excellent hybrid adventure/commuter bike.

Marin Kentfield (tested)

[Jun 28, 2008]
Ride Happy

Strength:

Solid frame and well appointed with excellent components for the price.

Heavy, 28lbs. stripped before adding accessoires, but it's steel. The water bottle sets are too close to the crankshaft. I couldn't attach my Road Morph pump to the downtube because it infringed on the seatpost cage, and the seatpost cage it too low for the pump to fit in it's supplied bracket because the pump is too long and won't fit because of the crankshaft. The frame geometry is a bit weird I guess. After much trial and error I finally attached the pump to the upper, outside, of the downtube near the head.

I ride a 2008 KHS Urban-Xpress that I purchased in mid-March. I don't own a car so it's my main transport, beside my feet and the bus. Considering it's all steel I find the Urban-Xpress to be an agile and comfortable ride. Since I purchased it I replaced the seat with a Serfa sprung saddle, added a Topeak rack and Road Morph G pump, Serfa front and Cateye rear lights, Delta trunk with retractable panniers, Banjo Brothers grocery bags, two bottle cages with a Cage Rocket, and Kryptonite U-lock, cable and chain. Fully loaded it weighs in at a hefty 40lbs., but the wide gear range makes it easy to run errands, and street ride or run the trails along Buffalo Bayou. I had never heard of KHS until I bought this bike, but I'm seriously considering a second purchase of a KHS Flight 500 or 720 road bike. I highly recommend the Urban-Xpress for anyone who wants an inexpensive, but well appointed bike. I looked at Bianchi, Trek, and Raleigh before I made the decision to buy the KHS. I think I made the right choice, and the guys at Houston Bicycle Company were great to work with, and help me choose most of the accessories.

[Jun 24, 2008]
Spideyrex

Strength:

Price and nice components (Truvativ crank, Shimano rear hub and derailleurs, weinemann rims). Smooth soft ride

Weight (27lbs for large with Plant bike fenders)

It is a 2008 Urban Express and it is a great bike for the money. I used it 3-4 times a week for a fast paced ride along the paved bike path along the rive by my home. The bike is not light (27lbs for large) but very smooth and being steel it really softens the bumps and high freq. vibrations common to alu bikes. The parts are basic, but work nicely, so far. The left side crack did loosen one on a ride something that I heard about the Isoflow cranks. I'll watch that, but other wise it feels very bombproof. For what I paid it is great. Steel is real. Coming from freeride bikes, this thing is a bullet.