Kona Dew Deluxe Hybrid Bike

Pedals: Wellgo A9 w/ clips and straps
Tires: 700 x 38c WTB Weirwolf

[May 04, 2018]
bigbasket

Strength:

great size, super maneuverability, great breaking, nice nice gear ratio, solid construction, ideal fit for my size and scale and it's a good looking bike! this is my second KONA, i'd be hard pressed to purchase another brand. KONA would be my first stop when looking for a new bike.

could be my big feet but more clearance from pedal to front tire is needed. sometimes, right foot hits tire.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2003
[Sep 17, 2009]
Joe

Strength:

Easy smooth gearing. High quality parts, hydraulic disc brakes on the 09's. $550 is a tremendous deal.

Some people might want the drop bar feature, easy on those wrists now. Bright Blue paint and Gold Trim just screams "steal me."

Picked up a 2009 Kona Dew Deluxe from the local Bike Gallery. I was in the market for a plus, but they had the Dew Deluxe on for a smoking deal. I couldn't pass it up, and after a test ride I knew it was "my" bike.

I have a very short and sweet commute of around 3 miles. The Kona is my first bike in about 15 years. Since I wasn't sure how serious I would be about cycling I wanted a hybrid that could be the daily commuter and go on the occasional weekend trek through the trails. The Kona delivers all that as a go anywhere be the bike you want it to be. I considered the Jake and the Dew Drop, but after parting it out the main difference was the drop bars. This bike makes it happen, easy to climb hills, nimble on dirt trails and small gravel, fun on the road. For a new bike owner I'm more pleased than I imagined.

Kona Plus 09, Specialized, etc...

[Apr 03, 2009]
Ethan

Strength:

tires, frame and fork, weight, speed, components, durability, price

rust

Actually its a 2009 kona dew but i just love! Its wicked fast but that might be from me adjusting to a mountain bike(even though it was wimpy with an 60mm travel shock and all) but nonetheless i find my sel easily reaching cruising speeds on flat surfaces of 25km/h. the frame is also a huge plus. It can handle curb hoping and the tires can easily ride over large chuncks of gravel without going flat. I personally like these tires very much because they're thin yet they are slightley knobed. I just love this bike except for i found rust on bolth brake mechanismes even though i have stored it in a dry climate.

[Sep 27, 2008]
Slumlord

Strength:

Strong frame.
Comfortable ride.
Pretty quick
Love the disc brakes.

Supplied tyres.(though very good if you're staying on sealed paths/roads)
the middle chain ring is pretty weak, it's made out of sh*t metal and bent when climbing up a pretty steep hill. I have to replace it.

I bought this bike after getting stress fracutres running. I had not ridden a bike for over 20 years and have quite enjoyed this bike.

I weigh 100kgs and do mainly road/bike path and gravel.

Pro's: strong bike, easy to pedal and very good gearing range (good for hills). Fast on the road.

Cons: Getting tyres off is very difficult, but that seems only to apply to the Continental Countryride tyres that are supplied with this bike. I have swapped tyres and put on Continental Travelcontact tyres and they are quite easy to remove.

Look, If I stayed mainly on the roads/paths with the very occasional gravel ride, I'dsay this is all you need.

N/a

[Apr 20, 2008]
Art Mulder

Strength:

Disc brakes are great. Solid Frame

Wheels are too close (vertically) to forks, making it very hard to put mud guards on bike. Frame design makes it impossible to put on a rear kickstand, and cable path around the bottom bracket makes it very hard to mount a center kick stand.

Horrible design for the bike rims. Getting the tire off the rim is VERY difficult. Getting the tire back ON the rim even requires a tire iron.

[Jan 19, 2008]
riderbako

Strength:

-Very nice geometry.
-Solid disc brakes.
-Great feeling cockpit.
-Low rolling resistance.

Haven't found any yet but I'll be changing the stem to better suit my body type.

2008 Dew Deluxe is a speed freak. I'm not a hard core mtn cyclist, nor am I a roadie but this bike really hits the mark. I take offroad when necessary and fly on the street to get around town.

Nothing like it to date. I know Jamis makes a nice 853 model.

[Mar 30, 2007]
Matt

Strength:

A value at 600 with Disc brakes. Unlike many bikes today this is simple, sweet and pure. No 18 pound front shock that one doesn't need to pedal down the typical road. I also like the F/R lugs that allows for weekend touring racks. A light bike, with good gearing ranges...and nice 28 X 1 5/8 tires.

Despite my bietching, this is a very nice bike for the money. A do all, go anywhere bike.

What good are lugs if you can't mount a rack, and you can't unless you do some mods and have discs. I could shoot the jackass that failed to redesign the mountings when the disc version was made. The seat simply should be burned. Front cables are too tight causing paint abrasion to the steerer tube requiring tape to protect.

RIMS are going to be sheite. I trued already and see that stress isn't even from the factory. Seems like Kona would have addressed this as it was an issue three years ago.

Okay. If i told you how many bikes I have, we'd both be embarrassed. Safe to say, I enjoy bikes and all versions from vintage to modern. I was struck by the DD for it's looks and art form.

Trek 7.3, various other bikes ranging from a 29er Monocog flight to vintage Miyatas to carbon.

[Mar 28, 2007]
jamie

Strength:

its a nice smooth ride i ajusted it to front and rear disk brackes i relly tink there use full.

its a bit hard to change gear after a bout 270 miles it would do wid new wheels but a mint bike i would tell a freind a bout it hope u have look.

they are really good bikes just needs a couple of a justments but thats a bout it.

kona scrap carrea sarecen

[Nov 18, 2006]
WindUpBird

Strength:

Shift setup, Disc Brakes

It doesn't come with clipless pedals

I purchased the Dew Deluxe after searching for a commuter bike that would get me from Los Angeles's Union Station to my job about 3 miles away. This is my reintroduction to cycling, (not having ridden at all to speak of since I was a boy--I'm now 50) and my daily commute has become the highlight of my day. The bike is a pleasure to ride. The gearing is rather wide, and hills are easily surmounted. I find the shifting to be very smooth and precise. The brakes are awesome--whether or not their worth $200 (the price difference between the Dew Deluxe and the Dew) is, I suppose, a matter of personal preference, but they surely add a level of confidence when I careening through L.A.'s sometimes unpredictable traffic. The bike does not feel heavy to me--I carry it up and down a long flight of stairs everyday at my job (with one hand) and it doesn't feel much heavier than a full briefcase.

Giant Cypress, Giant Sedona, Specialized Sirrus, Trek 7300

[Nov 01, 2006]
bikesbooks

Strength:

The shifting system Kona has put on is awesome, and the disc brakes (my first time with disc brakes) are great. I'll see how much I love discs once I start having to do some kind of maintenance on them.

TOE OVERLAP!!! The 2006 comes in a 54 cm frame, and with the front fender and the clips, I'm getting some serious toe overlap. I'm going to have to be very careful about my turns on this bike.
HEAVY - as mentioned above.

I was hoping to L.O.V.E. this bike - I mean it comes across as kind of a flatbar cyclocross bike, and while I do like it and am glad I bought it, it does have a couple weaknesses.
The Dew is basically a hybrid bike, and I've never owned a hybrid before. I've commuted heavily on a 2001 Kona Hahanna mountain bike (steel with no shocks at all) and on an old aluminum Cannondale road bike.
I thought the Dew would bridge the gap between the two of those - i.e. light and racy while still being a commuting workhorse. Unfortunately it's FAR more on the "commuting workhorse" side than on the light and racy side.
I'm riding it stock with full fenders and a rack, and it weighs in at about 32 pounds set up like this. So it's far heavier than I thought it'd be. Also, I thought I could adjust myself into a more aero position on the bike, but it seems like I'm more or less going to be sitting up in mountain bike position all the time.

I'm giving this a superhigh value rating because the shifting and disc brakes are great for $660.00 Canadian.

Never had a hybrid before. But loved my 2001 Kona Hahanna.