Kona Smoke Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: chromoly, butted
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: 14", 16", 18", 20", 22"
Colors: Matte Black
Rear Der: Shimano Altus
Pedals: Kona JackShit
Tires: 26 x 1.95" Tioga City Slicker

Tom   [Feb 27, 2014]
Strength:

Durability...I've pounded it for years.

Yes, it's not very light, but I can still carry it and a couple bags at the same time.

The first thing I did was remove the fenders and swap the tires for police tires. Over the years, I've replaced several components, and it still rides well. I use it primarily as a commuter, but with the fender/tire modification, it does well riding it hard off road. Good value for the price.

roland gallant   [Nov 21, 2012]
Strength:

steel frame

love this bike! after riding one to try out i got rid of my giant escape3.a bit on the heavy side but the ride is worth it.

Pras   Recreational Rider [Sep 06, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable ride, right geometry, looks simple does not invite theft

I had to replace the wheelset to make it enjoyable. Low-end components (will upgrade as soon as they worn out).

It was so heavy that I ignored the Kona Smoke soon after I bought it 2 years ago. But 3 months ago I casually replace the wheelset with a pair from my older Giant road bike lying around in my garage, which are much lighter including the cassetee. And hey, suddenly the Smoke really ride very well. I found it much easier to ride, and fast, without losing its comfort.
Now the Smoke is the bike I ride most among my other bikes (1 of them is carbon), almost every day I ride it at least 20 kms. Now I believe that steel bike is really comfortable.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Roubaix, Marin ALP Lucas valley Valley, older Giant TCR, TREK 1500.
Chris Leigh   Commuter [Apr 21, 2011]
Strength:

Takes a beating day in and out. Good value for the money

Handler grip shifter I changed first week, got a few comments about the fender style

Nice solid bike, good in the city and takes a beating jumping curbs and potholes, forks and rims very tough. Do a 20km commute throug parks and mud, streets.I have the 22" frame and it fits my 6'2" well. Shifts well on hills under load, brakes are good. Fenders keeps me very dry no matter what weather.

Similar Products Used: Commuted for 3 year with cheaper mountain style bike, got tired of repairs
theresa   Commuter [Apr 15, 2010]
Strength:

looks, smooth ride, all year rideablity!!!!!

not going to win a speed race.

this is the first bike i bought from a bike shop...all other bikes were the cheap kid ones from k-mart. i had not ridden in years but had my eco-stimulus check. i felt like i was flying! i rode from east nash to west for work, took about an hour and now i ride to work in chicago. i am surprised on how well it rides in chicago winters. not the fastest bike but i get my csa on it every week. it is beautiful...i work in a very ritz part of town and people still comment on how great it looks..these are people riding bikes that cost ten times more than mine. i just love love love this bike.

arnette   Commuter [Sep 25, 2008]
Strength:

Bomb-proof build, smooth components and tires, fenders to keep the muck off your legs, grip shifters that actually work

a bit heavy for carrying if necessary - but really nothing else to complain about if you're going to use it as an inner-city commuter

The Kona Smoke (16" - I'm 5'6" and I like a small, maneuverable frame) was a birthday gift from my brother. I never test rode it but from the minute I hopped on, it was my favorite bike. From the get-go, I was really nervous about the grip shifters. No need. The grip shifters and related components have turned out to be the smoothest and most trouble-free I have experienced. My past exposure to Trek 7500fx left a bad taste in my mouth for reliable deraileurs... Kona has shown me how they're SUPPOSED to work. Smooth, effortless, etc.

The Smoke is cromolly so it absorbs more jiggles than an Al bike but it also makes it a heavier ride. Rolling around it is not noticeable; hoist it up 4 flights of stairs, however, and you're gonna feel it. I used the Smoke in Glasgow as my 4mi commuter down the busy main streets. The bike is very responsive to car-dodging, nice and tight maneuvers. The gear ratios were spaced well for getting up to speed and cruising but it's fairly easy to top out the highest gear. In the city, that won't matter but if you're on a lonely stretch or road you might feel limited.

Everything about the bike is solid and smooth... tank-like frame, great (and cheap to replace) components, smooth wheels and tires... only the fenders have sensitivity issues. Unfortunately, my bike was stripped away from me late one night when I chained it up in the wrong neighborhood. I hope the new 'owner' loves her as much as I did.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7500fx
jjohnlee   Commuter [Mar 16, 2006]
Strength:

Reliable and tough enough to allow me to ride to work in the winter when I can stand the weather.

My only complaint is that this bike is naturally SLOW, but in fairness it wasn't built for speed.

This is a follow up review to the one I wrote last summer for this bike. I have commuted all winter long in New England on this bike and feel able to add some information now. First, this thing is a tank. It will get you through anything. It would not be good for longer commutes, but for mine (12 mile total out and back) it's perfect. I put studded snow tires on it and plowed through up to 6 inches of snow without a problem. I commuted one day at -10 degrees (probably stupid on my part) and the bike didn't complain one bit. I've had hubs on other bikes freeze up at 30 degrees. Only once did I have an issue with the chain freezing up as I left the garage, but that's only because I wasn't diligent at keeping it clean. All in all, this has been an awesome winter commuter bike. Even the cheaper stock components have held up pretty well considering what I put them through.

Similar Products Used: Thsi is my first hybrid/town bike.
jjohnlee   Triathlete [Jul 22, 2005]
Strength:

Frame and fork and bomb proof ... hey, it's a Kona.

Not really a weakness, but some of the components are lower end (hence the $314 price tag) and I am not sure how well they will hold up in the long run. I guess we'll find out this winter.

I bought the Smoke because neither my mountain bike nor my road bike were the ideal commuter vehicle. To get to work I have travel on some pavement, some dirt roads, cross a foot bridge, and zip over a short section of single track. The frame, fork and fenders are what sold me. This is the end of my first week of riding it everyday back and forth and I have to say I am very pleased. I am not sure it would be fast or comfortable enough for a longer commute (that's why they make the Dew I suppose), but it's perfect for my 12 miles a day.

Similar Products Used: First "Hybrid" or "Town" bike.
mike chassé   Commuter [Oct 27, 2004]
Strength:

Bon rapport qualité-prix surtout par rapport au marin Muirwood qui ici(à Québec) se vend 200$can de plus Confort supérieur par rapport à mon ancien Kona Yee-Haa La bicyclette semble très solide grace à un ensemble de composantes à caractère urbain bien choisis

Une des pédales avait un lousse dans le bearing, la bicyclette est un peu lourde,le look est un peu austère mais est idéal pour éloigner les voleurs. Le dérailleur Tourney à l'avant fait vraiment el cheapo. L'origine du cadre made in Vietnam

Achetez ce vélo si vous aimez les hybrides Kona(la position de conduite y est semblable, à mon avis) mais que vous avez besoin d'une bicyclette plus solide, plus confortable et à vocation plus urbaine Ne l'achetez pas si la légèreté ou le look sont des critère très important pour vous.

Similar Products Used: Kona Yee-Haa 2002 en alu 6061
jake_speed   Recreational Rider [Aug 17, 2004]
Strength:

Simple, durable, sinister looking. Easiest fenders to setup. Great handling and decent ride on the rough roads of Orange County. Tires are great on asphault. Wouldn't change much on the bike.

Fenders weak, don't like abuse. Relatively cheap components, mostly the rear derailleur.

I bought this bike to ride to the gym, around the beach, and do some light recreational commuting on. It is a good departure from riding my MTN bike on the street and am quite pleased with it. I researched several "Comfort" bikes and this one takes the cake. The components can be better, but with what you pay for, it is okay. Adrenaline was great on ordering and setting up the bike.

Similar Products Used: Tried similar priced bikes from Trek, Schwin, and KHS, but actually ordered and bought the Kona without a test ride.