Motobecane Cafe Noir Hybrid Bike

• Stainless Spokes 28fr/28r
  • M-Wings Aluminum Bar

[Jan 19, 2013]
Charles River Rider

Strength:

Comfort
Value
Durability

Weight (of course it is heavier than an aluminum or carbon bike).

I absolutely love my Cafe Noir. I bought it in April 2012 because I wanted to commute 7.5 miles into downtown Boston from just west of Harvard Business School where I live. It has been a great commuting bike for me. I find it very comfortable to ride and yet quick. The streets in Boston, Cambridge and Watertown are terrible! Lots of potholes etc. so both of my rims need a good truing every 1000 miles or so. When I first started commuting in the Spring '12 I weighed about 200 (5'10"). After putting about 3000 miles on this bike I've lost a good 15-20lbs and put on 5 lbs of muscle in my legs. I love riding into work.

I've done rides this past summer with my little girl in the baby seat on the back, which have been great. I've towed both my kids in our bike trailer as well. I've found this bike to be very versatile. I've taken this bike on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park and found it to be too heavy for all of the elevation climbing. I will say though that this bike is fast going downhill and handles very well. I took it on a 50 mile charity ride which was pretty flat and was able to keep up ok with some of the guys in faster road bikes. I think even if I had a full carbon fast road bike I might commute on this one anyways because it is so comfortable.

If you are looking for a high quality, reliable, comfortable commuting bike this is what you want.

None, only ever been into mountain biking.

[Dec 26, 2010]
Charlie rich

Strength:

Good value.

Nice bike, a little "spongy" if your a big guy like me.

[Jun 20, 2010]
aking legs

Strength:

Smooth ride - snappier than expected acceleration. Solid handling

Factory rims a little weak - I true mine every few months. Snapped a spoke after 6000 miles or so which I find very acceptable (I can put out over 1000 watts when pushing) No room for decent fenders.

Lucked out and found mine on Craigslist - virtually new in the right size. One of my all-time favorite rides. Very smooth, deceptively fast - pretty sturdy. I have been using it for over a year for my roughly 4 day a week / 28 mile commute. It gets used more than most of my bikes - both as a daily driver or out for an evening / weekend jaunt.

Novara Buzz road (harsh less comfortable ride - but more versatile - can fit fenders and has disc brakes - nice for wet / winter riding

[Mar 02, 2010]
jackmeltzer

Strength:

Responsive Reynolds 520 steel frame, carbon fork, excellent rear derailleur, nice wheels and tires, and top-notch brakes. Excellent value for the money.

Seat a little bare (for a flat bar hybrid). Pedals average. I like the color (black) but it's not for everyone. Fire truck red would be more fun.

No nonsense, light and fast hybrid with good components, and excellent frame and fork, and a real pleasure to ride. I wanted an "all-purpose" bike that would be refined enough and snappy enough to keep for the long run. The Cafe Noir fits the bill perfectly. It's one of those rare bikes that makes you want to ride all the time. With a new seat and better pedals, it'll be flawless.

[Jul 25, 2008]
Cruiserman

Strength:

Light and FAST! Steel frame with carbon fork=comfortable ride. Traditional Geometry. Not a Mountain bike.

Saddle a bit mushy for me,needs a riser bar to truly set upright. Pedals just ok.
Replace them if you need to, I did.

The perfect bike for me. Ordered online from Bikesdirect.com recieved 4 working days later in pristine condition. No hassle for me to assemble. Everything was in good working order, rides smooth,shifts great! No major adjustments
needed.Climbs and cruises with ease. SMOOTH,very responsive steering.I would reccomend it as a commuter or light touring bike it's tough as nails, easily converted to a drop bar setup or comfort bike setup.

I'm 50 years old, I've rode 'em all!