Motobecane Cafe Sprint Hybrid Bike

• Paired Stainless Spokes
  • TruVativ Triple Crankset
  • Threadless Stem and Micro-adjust Aluminum Seatpost

L Crane   [Nov 10, 2012]
Strength:

Quick, nimble, responsive, great value for the bucks, good wheels, decent entry level components

poor saddle, long crank arms, hard to eliminate cranks, low spoke count for less than perfect road surfaces.

Purchased this bike in July 2011 to get back into riding after a 15 year hiatus. Took my time assembling and tweaking. I went by the recommended frame size and realize in hindsight that I should have gone up one size: long torso, short legs; live and learn. That being said, this bike is light for its class, fast, has very comfortable frame geometry, and eats up pathways (unlike my old mtb).

The handlebars do squeak as others have said. There is also a squeak in the drive train under stress that I cannot eliminate. Not sure whether the adjustable stem is a pro or con; I'm leaning toward con. Had the shifters adjusted by my LBS after one year of cable stretch, which is normal.

Custom tweaks: immediately installed a more comfortable saddle. I took 3 inches off each end of the handlebars, moved the brakes and shifters inward and installed bar ends in order to stretch out somewhat on longer rides. The long bar ends helped somewhat, but then I discovered Origin8 bar end drops and now I am a happy camper. The flat bars look good and allow mtb shifters but are brutal on longer rides due to limited hand positions. Now I can ride in the drops and definitely transfer more power to my legs when I need to. One caveat: the brakes are on the flats and twice I nearly crashed when instinctively reaching for road brake levers...there is a learning curve here! In my opinion and for the low investment, I will stick with the drop bar ends and train myself to go reach up to brake. Mind over matter and muscle memory. I often ride on greenways and do wish that the wheelset had a higher spoke count to distribute the surface anomalies and harsh bumps I encounter, but so far so good with the heavy gauge spokes. After hundreds of miles I haven't had to true the wheels!

The more I ride my Cafe Sprint the better I like it. Reminds me of a road bike but far more comfortable. I saved about $300 over my LBSs - any of them - and would not hesitate to buy from bikesdirect again.

tdp   [Nov 04, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight (about 23.5 lbs or so), looks good, shifts smoothly, nice ride. Others complained about the seat, but the Velo seat is fine (maybe it's been upgraded?).

Handlebars are squeaky, creaky and cheap. Impossible to torque down tightly enough to eliminate the creaking (bent my allen wrench and still creaks) and tends to work itself loose. I finally wrapped teflon tape around the bar and at the angle adjust. Seems to be helping, but it's ridiculous to have to jerry-rig a fix for a new bike. Handle grips are cheap. Toe clips are awful (didn't want them anyway). Sizing: If you're near the upper end of a recommended size, I would go one larger.

Lightweight and some nice components, but the corner-cutting on the handlebars is obvious and annoying.

Mike G   Recreational Rider [Sep 27, 2012]
Strength:

Ride is very smooth and very responsive. The color is a bonus and handles very well and very please with the bike performance. I got the professional tuneup before I rode and I am so please and satisfied customer. One other thing that I have to mention is that the people at Bikesdirect.com were I purchase it especially Matt and his whole crew just want to say Thank you guys for the excellent customer service that you provided me. They were so professional and couldn't believe how much knowledge and quick response that they had given me when I purchase my Cafe Sprint. So I highly recommend Bikesdirect.com

The seat is horrible my god had to stand up especially didn't where my shorts with pads. The pedals was something that I do recommend to get aftermarket ones because it is something that I couldn't stand on this bike.

Well I highly recommend this bike for anyone looking for a good comfortable ride and also have an option to really go fast as a road bike. Also this bike is a road bike with a flat bar and you can put a end bar so you can ride like a road bike but most of all very comfortable. This bike is very solid with carbon forks also a bonus. Actually my bike is a 2013 Cafe Sprint...

Similar Products Used: Fuji Absolute 3.0
Diamond Back
David Chrisman   Recreational Rider [Feb 12, 2012]
Strength:

Mountain bike style geometry with good responsiveness. Very light, fast and nimble. Comfy riding position for commuting and can lower bars for serious riding. Smooth shifting for the price. The more I ride this bike the more I like it.

The toe straps fell apart on my pedals so I took them off, now the pedals are great. The seat is not my style, so I threw on my wtb comp saddle. The stem sucks and methinks the stem and front fork combination is squeaky which gives the impression of low quality. Shifters are kind of cheap feeling. Most of this is just my opinion on the components and really don't affect the quality of the ride in any way.

This bike is a lot of fun now that everything is dialed in. The shifting is good for the price ($550) and the stock components are generally very capable with the exception of those listed under the weaknesses. The geometry is very comfortable for me mainly because I ride mtb's and bought this for a commuter. I had a Kona Dew back when and this bike is leaps and bounds better in regards to the shifting and weight. This bike keeps me relatively sweat free on long commutes and is also fun for recreational use.

Similar Products Used: 08' Kona Dew
Mercier Aero TT
Vintage Centurion Le Mans
Dyer Kneid   Recreational Rider [Nov 25, 2011]
Strength:

Quick for a $500 bike. Good components. Shifts smoothly. Comfy ride with the carbon front fork. Responsive. Nice paint job. Great value. Makes me want to ride!

Seat is a pain in the butt - literally.

After assembling the bike (30 minutes), I jumped on the bike and immediately enjoyed its quickness and ride. Added a bike computer, pedals, and new seat. For the price, you are getting a bargain. A sweet ride for an entry level plus bike.

gbleakle   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2011]
Strength:

lightweight, affordable, good components

pedals, grips

Solid bike with middle of the road components, sold for a good price.

RoughRider   Commuter [Aug 10, 2010]
Strength:

Carbon Fiber Fork, solid frame, yet extremely light, smooth shifting (once you get used to it), nice pedals come with it.

cheap seat, handlebars and shifting setup require a little bit of tuning at first, then they are great, reflectors are kind of ADHOC, but workable for their connection to the bike frame.

Purchased 2010 CAFE Sprint after looking at similarly equipped bikes at LBS's costing $1100 plus dollars. Bike was delivered as promised in perfect shape (just like the way bike shops get their bikes). I took my time (about an hour) putting it together, paying attention to check tightness on everything. The next day I took it on test rides to make sure everything was properly adjusted (another 15 minutes after test rides to make the bike perfect for me). The Cafe Sprint is SUPER SWEET for the price. When I move up to a FULL Carbon Bike I will be using Bikesdirect again.
It takes a little getting used to the handlebar shifting, but once you adjust them to your body it is very slick.
Test drove a TREK 1.5 and it easily is a smoother and a better bike, lighter as well. Recommend upgrading the seat (less than $40 for me) and I am effortlessly doing 20 mile roundtrip commutes feeling refreshed. Carbon Fork takes 95% of vibration out of my hands (I had a ten year old FUGI Hybrid before this which I felt tingling in my hands after 15 minutes of riding, even with gel gloves). Build it, ride it, adjust it, then enjoy the hell out of it....I certainly am....

Similar Products Used: FUGI HYBRID
Omar Carrillo   Commuter [Mar 31, 2010]
Strength:

Good price. Nice look. Decent components. Good paint job.

The saddle is really bad. Get a new one. The tires are just cheap stock. Noisy, noisy.

I don't get it. This bike has decent components, not the greatest but acceptable. The carbon fork is a real plus. And yet, I hate running this bike for the insane creaking noise it produces when pedaling with some effort.
I put the bike together in about 30 minutes, except the derailleur couldn't be adjusted. I had to take it to a local shop and even then it went out of adjustment in a couple of months.
The adjustable handle bar produces a noise every that I was able to correct by inserting a piece of plastic sheet between the tightening screw.
Now, there's some other noise that not even the guys at my local shop can fix. I tightened everything. I lubricated everything. The creaking noise comes from the drive train but I cannot located it.

William   Commuter [Jan 07, 2010]
Strength:

See above

Horrible saddle

I love this bike. It's lite, good quality, well priced especially if you can find a deal like I did and I haven't had any problems with it besides what my tinkering's done LOL. I think it's perfect for commuting after you replace the horrible seat they saddled this poor bike with and add your extras...Bags, Lights, Fenders and and whatever else you feel like strapping on it. This one's a keeper...I might buy other bikes down the road but she deffinately won't be sold to help pay for them. If you're not a proffesional and need something that'll hold up I deffinately recomend this bike.

Smirob   Recreational Rider [Aug 25, 2009]
Strength:

Great components and amazing price.

Stock Seat comfy for short rides but not adequate for longer ones.

This bike is pretty awesome it rolls smooth shift wells and is very light. It was easy to set-up but I had to have the derailleur adjusted by my LBS (cost $10.00). I put it together in 20 minutes. I put thorn proof tubes in and have been riding trouble free for almost a month now.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000ZX Mountain bike.
Schwinn Circuit Road bike.