Specialized Sirrus Hybrid Bike

Specialized Sirrus Hybrid Bike

Combining the heart of the world's best road bikes with a flat-bar, urban-friendly form, Sirrus redefines the notion of versatility; with Shimano 8-speed gearing for reliable performance.

[Jul 10, 2018]
Eppy

Strength:

At times it’s like riding nothing in a good way. I like it’s handling has a carbon fork. Finest bike I ever owned. I had tried out a number of bikes but was sure I was going to get the Trek. When I got on this I fell in love Of course I rode my Schwinn varsity for 30 years almost every day seasonally until by the time the gears shifted I didn’t need it any more

If you don’t get it tuned up professionally every year you have to make more minor adjustments than I’d like.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2013
[Jun 25, 2015]
Rick Fohl

Strength:

I bought a Specialized Sirrus in April on a trade in from a Trek that I had put 6,000 miles on. The Sirrus is a great bike, love pretty much everything about it. At $500 it's a great deal and compares well to other bikes that are much more expensive. So far I have 1,400 miles on the bike and it's like new. I find myself riding my road bikes less in favor of the Sirrus.

I did have a problem when I first bought the bike with the tires. I think that they were defective. The rubber seemed too soft and stones would readily go right through them.. I took the bike back to the shop (Toms Pro Bikes) after several flats. Tom took one look at the tires and said that they were defective and that he would replace them right away. Since then it's been an awesome bike! Love it..

I love the bike. I have nothing bad to say about it. I ride this bike pretty much every morning in all kinds of conditions and just love it.. I highly recommend it.

[May 28, 2015]
DT Ramone

Strength:

Quality aluminum frame, comfortable saddle, price

heavy, slow (but hey, its not a road bike!)

**This review is for the 2010 Sirrus**

I bought the 2010 Sirrus in 2013 and since then have ridden hundreds of miles including several CicLAvias and a lot of Meetup rides. What was meant to be a casual cruising bike has become my urban runabout, fitness bike and commuter.

The base Sirrus I have (in gray with white accents) has decent quality Shimano components; nothing like SLX/XT parts on my other bikes but will do the job well. It is a 3x8 with 48-38-28 crankset and 11-32 cassette so there are plenty of gears to suit any road or path. Keep the shifter tuned properly and you will never have any problems. Brake lever feel is good and doesnt need a hard squeeze to stop the bike.

The bike is comfortable to ride with an upright riding position. The saddle is a specialized BG and is comfortable even without bike shorts/padding/chamois. Just make sure the saddle is adjusted correctly. At 5'10" the stem doesnt feel too long for me with the right amount of reach.

There are a few changes I had made to the bike. I bought the bike used and it already came with Origin8 ergo grips with bar ends. I hightly recommend getting ergonomic grips with bar ends to anyone who want to ride for distance or fitness. It makes a huge difference in riding comfort.

I replaced the OEM Specialized handlebars with an aftermarket flat bar. The stock riser bar felt too high and too upright for fitness riding. With the riding position biased towards neutral, cruising speeds of 13 MPH and up can easily be done.

I replaced the pedals with wide, flat pedals that are similar to BMX/downhill MTB for casual and commuter duties. For longer rides I swap out it out to Shimano SPDs for smoother pedal stroke and better cadence,

The stock rear Alex rim had split, the previous owner probably went off too many curbs with it so it was replaced with a Weimann rim with Shimano hub. Its heavier than the Alex rim but its definitely beefier to suit commuter needs. The old owner had done too many skid stops so the rear All Condtions tire had a bad flat spot and was replaced with a Specialized All Condition Armadillo in 700 x 28 width. I chose Armadillos for flat resistance and 28mm for faster and less rolling resistance. The front wheel stayed stock with the Alex rim and the stock All Conditions tire in 32mm. Once the front tire needs replacing, it will be changed to match the rear tire.

The brake pads when I acquired the Sirrus was covered in greasy stuff that looked like Armor All, Why someone would put tire dressing on bike tires and severly compromise braking is just beyond dumb. I replaced the front with Avid brake pads and cleaned the front pads and sanded it down (for a fresher layer of rubber) and installed it in the rear.

With the current setup I have (ergo grips, flat bar, SPD pedals and Armadillo tire), it has the ability to go on long, multi hour rides in comfort. Its no road bike in terms of speed and handling but capable of being a flat bar touring bike. Future accessories would be a rack and pannier for some distance touring.

I would recommend the Sirrus for those looking for a bike for casual riding, fitness/cardio rides or commuting. if you want a faster, aggressive bike, look for a road bike instead. By the way, the Sirrus would do fine on light gravel or hard pack trails if outfitted with wider, cyclocross tires.

Always wear a helmet, ride with lights when its dark and always be mindful of traffic when commuting.

My stable: the above mentioned Sirrus, Specialized Allez Sport, Fisher Hi Fi Plus FS and Vassago Bandersnatch 29er HT, plus other bikes I have ridden thru mtnbikeriders.com

[May 05, 2015]
Jacob Pernula

Strength:

It looks like a nice bike.

Specialized doesn't honor their warranty.

The bottom bracket on my new Specialized Sirrus broke, causing threads on the frame to be destroyed. Specialized refused to honor warranty and send a new frame. I'd seek legal action, but I don't have the time or energy to deal with them. I would absolutely not recommend this brand to anyone. Now I'm out $500 and a bicycle.

[Oct 09, 2014]
Robert P

Strength:

I purchased my Specialised Sirrus flat bar road bike during 2012 in the northern inner suburbs of Adelaide. The price whilst expensive, was value for money, or at least I thought it was. I was easy to maintain and stylish good looks.

My crankshaft had to be replaced after about 18 months, my spokes had to be replaced after 2 years as the originals spokes did not conform to specs. After about 28 months, the rear wheel collapsed with small cracks developing and causing the rear wheel to buckle and wharp beyond repair.

When I spoke with the bike shop staff I was advised that the wheel broke due to rough treatment. I am a 57 y.o. Man, I ride my bike daily to and from work and occasionally for leisure. The bike has never been off road and I have maintained the bike regularly, apart from the defects as discussed. I would never buy another specialised bike and urge any readers to very careful when selecting this bike. I was disgusted with the attitude of the bike shop staff and would not recommend them to anyone at all.

When I questioned the staff, their response and attitude was alarming, stating that they had honored their obligations to meet the warranty conditions. I believe that the wheels should not have failed after a couple of years of casual riding and they just said that specialised sirrus is all about the bike frame and not the wheels??? Buyer beware.! I know have a useless bike and have to buy another road bike somewhere else.

[Jul 02, 2014]
will Markhardt

Strength:

I've used this bike as a commuter bike for several years. Very speedy and light weight compared to my mountain bikes

Recently I noticed the pedals feeling spongy and the chain coming off frequently. Crossing streets in heavy traffic became very scary because I didn't know when the chain would derail. This morning I noticed that the whole bottom of the bike was twisting as I pedaled. That when I realized that the angle beam was almost broken in two down near the pedals. luckily I have another bike to ride home on because the frame on this one is toast.

I'm not a big guy and this frame should not have broken.

[Aug 24, 2013]
GLORIE MORROW

Strength:

I've put approximately 2,500 miles on my 2011 Specialized Vita (Sirrus) despite having nerve damage from a past auto accident...this great handling bike is extremely comfortable! Used to favor road bikes, but now I'd never go back!!!
This bike is so well designed, really...I can't fault it, especially as I only paid $440.00 on sale, at a Specialized store in Huntington Beach, CA. I've owned approximately 100 bikes (hobby) but this one is a "daily driver " and with-out the right bike would no longer be able to ride, because of intense pain..so now ... I'm especially great full for this happy and responsive little hybrid...yes I'd highly recommend it...as I'm totally jazzed with it!

It really works perfectly as a "daily driver" for errands+exercise, love the responsiveness, styling, quickness, smart engineering..have received a lot of compliments on the bikes styling (esp. from men) so for the sale price of $440.00 it was clearly a find and I have absolutely no complaints!

The Men's version is called a Specialized Sirrus and Women's version is called a Specialized Vita, both versions have several component trim levels,depending on what level of performance a rider is seeking. I greatly appreciate the fit of my Vita as because of the women's specific sizing of frame and certain components the Vita works perfectly for me. I might add that this bike did very well in past testing by consumer reports magazine. I've owned much more expensive bikes in my past, however, this little bike is my favorite and the absolute best value I've ever gotten in a new bicycle purchase in
my 40 + years as a bicyclist. happy cycling!

[Mar 31, 2013]
Dave-O

Strength:

Lightweight, comfortable, great for commuting/weekend paved or crushed gravel trail rides.

Out of the box, cannot adjust head piece, separate part must be purchased and installed at bike shop.

I just purchased mine, and have ridden it enough that I can safely say I am in love with this bike. I tried one of the higher end Sirrus models, and the only difference I noticed from those was more speed and nimbleness. This bike is a great balance between a road bike and a mountain bike for sure. Great on uphills with the 24 speed gearing. My old Huffy was nothing like this, and I love the quick access to the shifters over the twist shifts of my old bike. A great value for sure!!!! Love the lightweight aluminum frame and everything about this bike!

[Jan 28, 2013]
treadtread

Strength:

Commuting

Front derailleur, lack of hand positions

I setup the Sirrus as a commuter - for commuter specific modds, see http://treadrightly.blogspot.com/2013/01/specialized-sirrus-my-daily-commuter.html

[Jul 15, 2012]
Gern

Strength:

It is easy to jump on a go. I have had road bikes, and this compares.

After riding a couple of years with the flat bars, I put some "apes" on it and now it is perfect. Ok, it looks a little goofy, but it is so comfortable I can ride all day.

A great bike for what I am doing with it.