Trek 7.3 FX Hybrid Bike

Trek 7.3 FX Hybrid Bike

• Whether cruising to work or to play, Trek's 7.3 FX is the ideal ride. Trek's Alpha-aluminum frame is lightweight for easy pedaling and excellent handling, and the fast-rolling 700c wheels let you ride further and faster with less effort. Plus, this great machine sports a hill-flattening 24-speed Shimano drivetrain and confidence-inspiring Avid linear-pull brakes.

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 16, 2018]
    RagbraiNewB

Strength:

Reliability, ease of use and repair, durability, versatility, comfort, all around do-anything flexibility

It is what it is, so there are a lot of things it's not. But if you could have only one bicycle for commuting, fitness, off-road, touring, multi-use trails, this would be a great pick.

Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2004
    [Jul 22, 2015]
    aiman mashreqi

Strength:

build to last, non stop machine, something you can trust and won't stuck you in the middle of the road, responsive. light weight and harmony shifting.

uncomfortable seat I would recommend to buy comfortable seat if you doing long distances .

I bought mine in 2008 this bike is well built. I had over 5,000 miles NO problems at all than changing flat tires. really surprised from the quality of this bike. from the first ride I tried I bought it. I would recommend for people who wants to have it for long time.

[Jul 03, 2015]
    Shane Tillman

Strength:

Fast not bad on long 50 mile rides comfortable seat if your used to road bikes that have a brick for a seat

Brakes frame quality

I bought a trek 7.2 put 500 miles on it then my front derailer and cable decided to down shift all the way and threw me off the bike I take it in the shop told them about looked in to it found out those cables were flawed and were recalled so a year later at about 2500 miles I take it in and the shop told me my frame was bent and waited a month and a half for them to tell me that trek won't replace it because park tool says .30mm is the limit my frame is .60mm twice as much which come to fine out was caused by the bike down shifting and throwing me in the dirt the bike shop told me it was flawed from the factory so now I have 5300 miles on it I will be scraping it or selling it in a year and never buying an other trek this is the second trek both were really bad last is dead if you ride everyday like I do don't buy if it's only once in a while sure go for it

[Jul 28, 2014]
    Christopher

Strength:

Very fast and nimble light quality materials comfy grips cool color scheme not too flashy smooth shifting

Seat hard as a rock but all the hybrid bikes I tester were no better. To many hot chick's trying to stop me cause I look so good on it. Forgetting to make my car payment cause I never use it anymore.

Ok people I'll start off by saying I bought this bike right after I bought a brand new car. It's a nice car nothing special "2014 chevy malibu". Im actually and genuinely more excited in the morning to ride my bike then to drive my car. I work about 10 miles from my house and it takes me 15 extra minutes by bike but I don't care. Just an extra 15 minutes of wind in my hair. Bullet proof frame smooth shifting and come grips make it a joy to ride. I paid a little more than the msrp because I live in San Francisco and bikes are in high demand $639 but the shop gave me $50 in free accessories. I almost made the mistake of buying a fixie but the shop keep set me straight. 100% satisfied and would recommend it to any one thanks Trek.

[Mar 04, 2013]
    manolo

Strength:

One of the best bikes I ever owned ! Now it is 5 yrs old, and it is in good shape. Only things I had to replace were the brake pads. This year I had to replace the pedals for the first time. Last season I had made 1500 km mainly on the roads with various surfaces. Bike is built from good quality parts.

One of the best bikes I ever owned ! Now it is 5 yrs old, and it is in good shape. Only things I had to replace were the brake pads. This year I had to replace the pedals for the first time. Last season 2012 I had made 1500 km mainly on the roads with various surfaces. Bike is built from good quality parts.

[Feb 27, 2013]
    Timothy Takemoto

Strength:

Strong, durable, faster than an MTB, mudguards are fittable, frame style, sporty commuter

A bit heavy, upright, slower than a road bike, rattles your teeth on old tarmac, not really a touring/recreational long-ride bike unless you are pretty heavy

I have had mine for about 6 years mainly for my daily 5 mile commute at bout 20mph (30kph). This bike is exceptionally durable and strong. I have recently (i.e. after more than 5 years of use) changed the plastic pedals for some aluminium ones, replaced a rear brake (one of the tensioner springs broke and they were not sold separately) and the rear wheel (a spoke broke and the rim was worn down) but I think that I have had the same tires since new. I may even put the old rear tire on my new wheel since it has better grip! The only flats I have had were pinch flats from not keep enough air in the tires.

At the same time I had hoped that I would be able to use the bike recreationally, as I did my previous commuter which was an entry level Giant road bike converted to a hybrid style with flat handlebars. I was able to use the lighter Giant for both recreation and commuting. I did try taking this bike for 25km runs but it is a bit too heavy, and the sturdy frame transfers too much of the road surface irregularities to the rider. I ended up purchasing a carbon bike for recreational use - my best purchase ever.

So I recommend that anyone that wants to do more than commute should at least get the 7.5 with carbon forks, or put some carbon forks on this (they can be had cheap from China). I also recommend removing the stem (the 10cm bit of tube that holds the handlebars to the headset at the top of the front fork), flipping it over so that it is angled down, and moving the spacers from below to above the stem for a more sporty / less upright ride. I also put some clips on the pedals. I don't do them, so I can get out easily, up but just stick my toes into them. Finally, to improve ride comfort I put a center-hollow Selle SMP Hybrid saddle on it.

Bottom line: Good reliable fast A to B commuter.

[Oct 10, 2012]
    Desertdawg6

Strength:

Looks good in Gray. Bike is light and responsive as well as shifts smoothly

Brakes wore out quickly. Factory seat is pretty hard

Had this bike for 1 year now and I love it. I commute about 6 miles a day on it, but ride 10-15 miles on any given day for exercise. Bike is light and responsive. It also has a great look to it. Not sure I would buy this bike if I were riding 50 miles at a time. The handle bars keep you upright which can get tiring on long rides. In addition, riding upright does not let you cut down on wind resistence during longer rides. Having said that, if you are looking for a great bike at a great price that you can ride 10-20 miles at a time and feel proud of, then this is it.

[Sep 16, 2012]
    Ben Kotvis

Strength:

Looks good. Tires and wheels are nice.

Bottom bracket is junk.

I bought this bike and didn't ride it much for the first 9 months. Then I started commuting to work with it and noticed my bottom bracket had way too much play in it. I took it to the Trek store and I had to pay $50 to replace the BB. I was told that they used the cheapest BB they could find when they made this bike. Nice to hear. I wish they would have told me that before buying it.

[Jul 19, 2012]
    Cary

Strength:

Light and agile, but still durable. Fast. Not too flashy. The tires won't quit if you pay them.

Brakes are not the best. Can be a bone shaker on rougher roads.

After having put over 2000 miles on this bike I feel I am in a place to give a proper review. When I bought the bike I weighed 215 lbs and I was not easy on it (although now thanks to the bike I am around 185 lbs) so that tells you a little about the durability. I came to this bike from a mountain bike and the difference in speed is amazing. I don't go off road very often but on grass and packed gravel it does just fine. The frame is extemely stiff, which is good when it comes to going fast, but will rattle your brain when riding on rough roads at speed. A carbon fork would most likely help out on that. The tires are beasts. I have roughly 2200 miles on them and they are still going strong, not a single flat. I don't know how many piles of glass and jagged rocks I have flown through on my daily commute and still not a single problem. The saddle takes a little getting used to, like all saddles, but I actually like it. The brakes are not the best. Really, the brakes are probably just fine, I just have terrible luck with brake pads. Even the cheap orignal resin pedals lasted about 2000 miles. All in all, I love this bike and I will most certainly put another 2200 miles on it before I look into buying another. However if you can afford it, I would go for the 7.5 with the carbon fork for a smoother ride.

[Jan 23, 2012]
    Justin

Strength:

Very light, agile, and comfortable. The shifters are very accurate having no hang-ups.

Seat could be more comfortable but definitely not intolerable for me.

I bought this bike primarily for commuting back and forth to work. Although I do not have much time on it, so far I am extremely happy with it and feel as if I got my money’s worth and didn’t just by a name.