Trek 7.5 FX Hybrid Bike

Trek 7.5 FX Hybrid Bike

• Light and rugged. Fast and strong. You get the best of both worlds with Trek's 7.5 FX! Its FX Alpha hydroformed-aluminum frame provides an efficient, comfortable ride, while the Bontrager carbon fork is super light and damps vibrations for a velvety-smooth ride. You'll also appreciate the light Bontrager SSR wheels and the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires, which are equally at home on roads, paths, and trails. Plus, the 27-speed drivetrain gives you the right gear for any hill and pace, and the linear-pull brakes offer total control.

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 28, 2015]
    Steven

Strength:

Light weight, very smooth ride. Upright riding position, Deore rear derailleur. Feels like a road bike.

Shifting on front chain ring is somewhat poor.

Just got a 2014 model on sale at lbs. This bike is definitely worth the price! The Isozone and carbon fork smooth out all the road vibration and I like the road bike gearing. The compact double still allows for me to climb some steep hills in the saddle. The Deore rear derailleur shifts very crisply every time. I like the black paint. The only complaint is the "clunky" shifting on the front chain ring. I had a 2010 7.3 FX that I rode on BRAN in 2011, after that bike was stolen I missed it for almost 4 years but no more, the 2014 7.5 FX is awesome! A road bike in disguise!

2010 Trek 7.3 FX

[Jan 24, 2013]
    Michael Young

Strength:

Let me start by saying this is not a hybrid. Trek classifies this as a fitness bike. As an in town commuter, this is quite simply the best bike I've ever bought. It's fast,agile, and extremely reliable mechanically. Mine is the 2011 model with the hydraulic disc brakes. As for those that say the brakes are finicky, I can't say that I've seen that on mine, even with me putting over 3000 miles on mine in the first year. In fact,other than adjusting for cable stretch, I had absolutely no mechanical issues with mine. None. The only thing I changed on mine was the tires, I switched the factory tires for the 110 psi Racelites, which boosted the top end performance immensely.

The only problem I could point out is that it's not terribly good on loose surfaces. So I simply modified my routes to avoid areas that have loose gravel etc.

This was an outstanding bike for the money. It's a shame Trek dropped it in their 2013 line up. If you can get one used, I wouldn't hesitate to say grab it.

[Sep 30, 2012]
    PF

Strength:

Light & Responsive. Carbon fork is easy on the elbows. I never had a problem with the seat once I started wearing cycling shorts. It is like a road bike for people who don't want a road bike. Well built.

Lever for front derailleur (left hand) is tough on the thumb as a lot of pressure is needed to change the gear. Not a problem with the rear (right hand).

I have a 2009, bought in September of 2008. Previously, I had had a GT hybrid for 13 years. This Trek was much lighter. I have never had a flat tire with this one! I bought the bike at Metro Bikes, NYC. I brought it in for yearly maintenance. It never needed anything else, except new brake pads. I did upgrade, after several years, to pedals that I could clip into . Eventually, in Sept. of 2012, I decided to up the ante and ride with a bike club. They all ride road bikes, so I am making the switch. Also, for me, I thought that the varied hand positions on a road bike would be better for the health of my upper extremeties as I begin to approach and will soon exceed 50 mile rides. But for 35 mile casual rides, this bike fits the bill!

[Sep 28, 2012]
    Randolph Coble

Strength:

Great bike for the price! Have had it 18 months now and put 3400 miles on it. Changed tires and went with Continental Gator Skins, just for a change and I'm well pleased with them after about 250 miles. Ride is smooth and changing gears a breeze. At 70 years old, both of these is a real plus. Had a vine catch my helmet last month and got a double flip off the back end of the bike with a lot of road rash to my knee, leg and arm. Bicycle took it hard laying down on the pavement. Twenty min. At the bike shop and she was looking just as good as before the accident.

None considering the price.

Bottom line, I'm More than satisfied. It answers my need for exercise and a daily hobby. In my area, seashore NC , we enjoy pretty good winters most years so I'm able to use the bike year round. Looking forward to many more thousands of miles, God willing. Two Wheeler Dealer in Wilmington, NC is where I purchased the bike and all my incidental equipment, clothing, etc. Can't say enough good things about them and their staff. Very professional and helpful in every way.

[Sep 27, 2012]
    Craig

Strength:

Have put 200 miles on my 2013 Carrera Blue 7.5 FX and I truly LOVE this bike. My previous ride was a 7.3FX and I'm very happy with the upgrades which include carbon front fork, monostay rear frame and 24 spoke rims. The carbon fork and monostay frame do seem to smooth out the ride. This the derailer is the same as what I had on the 7.3 but this thing shifts liek a dream, fast & sure. The brakes are outstanding. I ride paved roads, side walks and bike trails and this this performs like a dream. Added a node 2.1 computer, rack and new seat.

Seat was not comfortable, changed it before I brought the bike home

Putting lots of miles on this bike, riding it is a pure joy, very pleased with the purchase. When Trek added the monostay frame and offered the 7.5 in Carrera Blue, made the decision to buy immediately. Loved my 7.3 but everything about the 7.5 is more refined, more high performance. Getting used to 18 vs 24 speeds. I'd probably prefer 24 but the move to 18 is not that big a deal, use every gear and have had no issues. Was a little concerned about the 700x28 tires on sidewalks compared to 700x32 on the 7.3. No issues, they wear like iron and handle like a dream. The paint job and graphics on this bike are outstanding, I love just looking at the bike. Very happy with my Trek 7.5FX, intend to own this bike for a very long time and log thousands of miles. .

[Aug 20, 2012]
    Bud Woods

Strength:

Good riding position for an old guy with an 'iffy' lower back. Did RAGBRAI with it this year and had zero problems w/ it. Our team propbably ranked in the top 25-30% of finishers each day so we were not dawdling out there. Shifters work well [now better than when new]. Chain ring shifts are slow and must be held when shifting into big ring for a moment to avoid chain issues. Not a deal-breaker but I did have to adjust to its character. Brakes are superb; I have the disc brake model and they're fade-free wet or dry. My Trek bike shop exemplifies 'customer service'. It's a very smooth roller and often I an outcoast the racing bikes costing several thou more.

Bottom bracket started making noises ~3 months old and a 'clicking' noise was there sometimes and then not - hard to diagnose. Finally, it was determined to be a bracket failure & Trek replaced in an expedited fashion. BB's have a 7K-10K? lifespan but I had less than 1K on it when it failed.

Good, solid machine for what it purports to be. It's rugged [I'm a 215 pounder & it's taking me on nicely]. It's too heavy to be a pure road machine but if you utilize 700x23's on it, it will keep up with most of the traffic on a typical ride. I may add a graphite-framed road machine to my stable for use with the longer rides or to add that extra 2 mph to keep up with the kids. I'm 69. :-)

[Aug 01, 2012]
    Mike H

Strength:

Light

Poorly made

Let me first say that I am 6'2 and i weigh 250 lbs. With that being said, this bike is simply not made for a large man or woman. I have to repair it after every ride.

[Jul 11, 2012]
    Eddy

Strength:

Strong, stylish,light weight. Responsive gearing.

Poor pedal bearings, breaks need adjusting a bit too often.

A great all rounder, quick and responsive. I cycle 50 km daily and find the bike to be comfortable, easy handling and of reliable quality albeit the poor breaking and inferior pedal bearings. I have cycled 3000km since I purchased my Trek 7.5 and am at the end of the day not sorry.

[Jan 26, 2012]
    Raf

Strength:

Great handling and looks very nice.

Spokes are breaking.
    Pedals have bad bearings.

Since 3 months I'm owner of the Trek FX 7.5 model 2012. I've ridden it for 3000 km, mostly commuting. I like the bike a lot but there are some serious quality issues. The bearings on both pedals wore out after 2000km, and now I have the 3rd broken spoke in the Bontrager rear wheel. They always break near the rim on the left side of the hub. My driving style is rather calm and I'm not the kind of person that always has things breaking down. This really spoils the fun of driving this bike.

Trek T50 (not really similar)

[Dec 12, 2011]
    Jack D'Amico

Strength:

The Trek 7.5 is more cycle cross bike than hybrid. It's fast and can handle dirt trails

Some gear ratios are more favorable for a mountain bike.

I was looking for a fast, comfortable winter bike. The professionals at Cyclesport, recommended the Trek 7.5. The 7.5 measures up to everything I was expecting. Fast, responsive and still able to safely handle the cinder/dirt trails along New York's Hudson River parks.