Bacchetta Bicycles Aero-Basso Recumbent Bike

Frame: 3/2.5 titanium Seat: M5 Carbon Size: Small Wheelbase: 47" Fork: Bacchetta, CarbonFoil, 20” Weight: 22 lbs

clee01l   Recreational Rider [Mar 16, 2005]

Fast lightweight bike for the shorter rider

With a 559 rear wheel and a 406 front wheel, choices for racing wheelsets and tires are limited.

When Bacchetta first announced the Aero Basso, I thought to myself. "This is bike has my name on it." My first Bacchetta is a Giro and it has become my 'Fast Mule' relegated mostly to commuter duty. When I rode a Diamond Frame, I used to hang in with the Hammerheads. As I aged, I gradually got dropped off the end of the pack. I yearned for that opportunity to mix it up again. Switchng to recumbents helped, but I wanted a single purpose go 'fast bike'. Most of my life I have looked up to my peers. I have always been 'vertically challenged'. I tried the big wheel Bacchettas and found them too tall for my 5' 7" height. I could ride a Strada but it was a stretch to get both feet on the ground. I found the Giro just right but it was more of a general purpose utility bike. So, after over 4000 miles on the Giro, I jumped on one of the first Aero Basso's to hit the streets. At 22 lbs (really!) this is the lightest bike I've owned. I immediately increased my average speeds by about 2 mph. Long rides are so comfortable, I've started doing Centuries non-stop. Now Centuries have become too tame. This January, I began doing 200k brevets. All because of the Aero Basso.