Bacchetta Bicycles Giro Recumbent Bike

Bacchetta Bicycles Giro Recumbent Bike

Frame: Bacchetta Custom ovalized cro-moly Size: S/M/L Wheelbase: 47.5" Fork: Bacchetta,aluminum,unicrown Weight: 30 lbs.

[Feb 21, 2010]
Uncle Gonzo

Strength:

Comfort, looks cool, stares and "ohhs and awws" from people.

Learning curve to ride a high crank bike, some wobble during starts until you get comfortable with it. Might be difficult to find an experienced mechanic where you live.

This is my first bike(a Giro 26), except for some Kmart specials I have used around the neighborhood. I have some guys I work with who do a 150 mile ride from Houston to Austin every year on DFs. I got this so I could train to ride with them. I don't experience any of the pains that they do. I reguallary ride 20-35 miles, and my rear end feels fine when I get off, not even sore the next day. There is a small learning curve to learning to ride a high racer, but once you put in 100 to 200 miles, you will be riding like you have been on this type of bike your whole life. If you think you would be challenged by the high crank position, I would recommend the Giro 20 or a long wheel base recumbent with a lower BB.

Test rode a Rans Xstream, Bacchetta Strada, Cycle Genius Falcon.

[Apr 22, 2009]
Petra

Strength:

Comfortable
Fun to ride
Fairly easy to learn to ride

A little heavy but I can still lift it and put in on the bike rack.

The Giro 20 is my first recumbent. I decided to switch from a road bike to a recumbent after developing severe neck problems--pinched nerve, arm falling asleep, extremely uncomfortable when riding long miles on the road bike. So far, I am enjoying the switch. When I am done with my rides, I don't feel tired, the neck isn't in pain, the hands/arms feel fine. I am a bit slower going uphill but hopefully in time I will get stronger. When choosing, I narrowed it down to the Giro 20 and the Corsa 24. I chose the Giro 20 because it was more comfortable and I felt I could start and stop a little easier. The dual 24 wheels on the Corsa made riding it a little more difficult for someone like me just starting to ride a recumbent. I have 2 other road bikes in the garage. I rode one of the them today and it definitely reminded how much more comfortable riding the Giro 20 is. I think over time I will probably end up selling the road bikes and upgrading to an even better recumbent. But for now, I like the Giro 20.

Test rode Rans Rocket and Lightening Phantom recumbents and Corsa 24

[Oct 18, 2008]
Bill Welsh

Strength:

Ride, build quality, components, comfort and feel. Speed is awesome on a Bacchetta. I can ride all day in comfort. Over 7 hours on this bike and I got off of it smiling. Not on any other bike I have owned in 30 years can I say that!!

A bit slower than my fast DF bikes, but maybe I am just enjoying the view and experince better.

To add to my previous review after months of riding and making several changes to the Giro. I managed to do the Hastings Hilly 100 with my new Giro. Normally I go with DF riders but this ride I did alone to set my own "Bent" pace and not hold anyone back. The hills on this course are demoralizing and steep. I made it on my Giro with legs tired, but body intact and pain free. A first in the 3 times I've done this event. The other times were on standard and touring bikes (diamond frames). I switched from the stock tires (Kenda) to the Swalbes and I noticed an immediate improvement in slow speed handling and staight line control. This really helps slogging up steep long hills in Hastings county. The more I rode the Giro, the more I couldn't wait to ride it. My diamond frames gathered dust in my garage as my choice always seemed to be the Giro, even if it was just bombing around the neighbourhood! I love this bike. No complaints except maybe that I don't start as well as I would like to sometimes. I am getting better though! Every time I get on any of my diamond frame bikes now, I wonder how I managed to enjoy cycling. They are so uncomfortable and ordinary. The Bacchetta brings the fun back and more (comfort!). Buy or at least try a recumbent. Preferably go on a long ride on one and then tell me you don't like them! The Giro brakes well, rides and handles geat, comfortable, and quiet. I am so happy with the bike and the company behind it.

Demo'd: Corsa (fast but my feet are higher), Rans Rocket (slow), Rans F5 (hated the bars and components), Giro 26 (nice, higher feet and heavier than my Giro).

[Aug 20, 2008]
Bill

Strength:

Fairly guick. Comfortable seating (Euromesh) and good components, build quality and ease of handling. Gearing is wide as well. Fit and finish above average.
Great company to buy from. They stand behind Bacchetta's after the sale.

Handling is a bit too quick! It will take time to get used to it. It's the nature of the 20 inch front tire that does it. A very light touch on the bars when climbing is maditory!

This bike is a new 2008 Giro 20TT. 26/20 with Alu frame/fork in Mango.
I tried several Bents before choosing this one. I had to go with one that would do all well and I thought this one was it.
I test rode a Rans Rocket (communting/fun only), a Giro 26/26 steel frame and a used Bacchetta Corsa. The high racers are fast, and feel most like a diamond frame road bike, but the crankset is higher on these. I thought that a determent for possbile touring in the future so I chose the 20TT. I feel slow on it, but 1st ride I did 92 kilometers and came home with no sore back or butt. Legs not too bad either. Time will improve my newly used "bent" muscles! Fast bike into the wind, downhill and on the flats. Climbs seem slow and wobbly. I will improve I am sure. Comfort is top drawer.

Mentioned above. Only test rides though.

[Aug 14, 2008]
Jay Westfall

Strength:

Great value for the money. You can easily pick up a used one for around $800. Mine had beem upgraded to Dura-Ace bar end shifters, and I think they work great and a good mod. Recurve seat is superb.

Drivetrain can be noisy if you do not keep it well lubed.
A little heavy at 31lbs, but not bad.

This is my first recumbent and I could not be happier with it. A really great bike for a beginning bent rider. The 26x20 has a very short learning curve. I am amazed after a ride how great I feel. No sore neck, wrists, or rear end. I can't see going back to a DF. I am a little slower, maybe 1mph on my Giro vs my Klein, but I really don't care!

Home built swb recumbent

[May 31, 2007]
RV

Strength:

Comfort and seat are easy on a rider's whole body, seating positiion allows full beathing, power stroke is good due to relationship between seat, handlebars, and crank. Well built. Reliable, non-fussy drivetrain, despite the long chain length. Disc brakes are best ever brakes on downhill runs at speed.

Weighs approx 33lb. No convenient holder for cigarettes. Sometimes my feet go to sleep (tingle) although I am correcting this with wider shoes. A ten-speed cluster would be nice.

My bike is a Giro 26 with discs and dual 26in wheels. It is my first rebumbent. I am an older(57),taller(6-5), heavier (260#)guy. Learning to ride it was a snap. The seating position trumps any conventional bike: it is comfortable and it is easy to get a full, deep breath. Downhill handling is excellent, much better than a conventional bike. I used to be a little scared at 40mph, on my Giro 26, I want to go faster. Level gound is easy and the riding position is quite powerful. Hills are, well, hills. They're tough, at least for me. A couple times I have climbed from sea level to a 1000ft mountain pass in 8mi and never had to stop. I'd estimate hills are, say, 10% more arduous on a Giro 26 than on a conventional bike,for me. For a younger, lighter guy, the difference would be smaller, I'll bet. Low speed handling is not very good compared to a conventional bike becuase your feet are pretty high off the ground and the start-stop routine is a low level hassle.

Many conventional bikes. This is my first recumbent.

[Jul 31, 2006]
bradtort

Strength:

Comfort (a major asset) and a little extra speed.

Twist shifters are stiff and noisy. The bike is also not as nimble as an upright road bike.

I got the bike for long-distance comfort, and so far it works. And I'm actually a little faster on it than on my Trek 520. It took a few hundred miles for me to get used to the handling, and it really helps to use clipless pedals with this bike.

I normally use it for weekend rides of 40+ miles, but I did do an overnight camping trip of 120 miles and found the bike to be suitable for touring. The bike feels very stable with bags on the rear and mid-ship racks, and handled well on steep and narrow bike trails and through sections with large, loose gravel.

1998 Bike E. I don't know why I bought it. Slow and clunky. Various touring and mountain bikes.

[Aug 01, 2004]
Pietro di Giro

Strength:

Comfort: Easy adjustment of seat and bar position with a large range of positions. Built-in passive suspension. Handling: Quick, intuitive steering with excellent stability. Speed: Small frontal area and fine components make this bike faster than I was expecting. Fit and finish is first rate.

None.

I've been riding recumbents for about two years. My first was a BikeE CT which I rode for about a year and a half, and somewhere around four thousand miles, give or take a hundred. I was never completely happy with the BikeE but it was OK as a transition to the breed. I test rode many recumbents over a six month period and was most favorably impressed with the Giro. It's easy, quick handling, pleasant passive suspension, overall comfort and surprising speed got my attention right away. That impression brought me back to the Bacchetta Dealer two more times for longer rides. In between I tested other, similar recumbents but the Giro remained my favorite. After six months, riding my Giro several times a week, I'm very pleased with the bike's overall quality and reliability.

BikeE CT. Test rides on many others.