Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged Road Bike

928 Carbon Lugged

The exclusive design from Bianchi Reparto Corse, which combines the down tube and the oversized seat tube with the rear Monostay, improves the resistance to twisting and lateral bending thus resulting in a good transfer of power to the rear triangle. Group Campagnolo Chorus, Handlebar and Stem ITM Four Super Over, Seatpost FSA Carbon Pro, Crankset Bianchi Componenti full carbon, Wheels Campagnolo Zonda.

tonypet69   Road Racer [Feb 23, 2010]
Strength:

Beautiful and durable carbon finish w/. celeste accents. Very fast bike, corners perfectly, No compromise on any given criteria, whether climbing sprinting or descending. Bianchi heritage and knowhow in bike making. Inspires confidence and will definitely bring out the best in you as a cyclist.

zip, nada, none

This is an awesome bike that can do anything very well. A bit too stiff but well worth it. kinda on the heavy side, coz the lugs certainly did use extra materials, hence the extra weight. I compensated it a bit by using the bianchi 928 sl fork which saved me almost a couple hundred grams when cut. But when riding, it seems as if it's a much much lighter bike. I guess due to the fact that there is zero energy wasted coz it is just so laterally stiff and vertically compliant as well. Mine is the 2007 duraace version by bianchi w/ the ksyrium sl, all stock except the sl fork and an extra dr.dobermann cage, and an itm computer mount. This is basically one of the team bikes used by liquigas but improved w/ beefier chainstays. It is a perfect all around bike great for everything. When I first rode it I could'nt believe how easy it was for me to accelerate upwards compared to my other bike w/c is abianchi ducati corse xr also w/ duraace. Though the other bike is lighter by about 300 grams. Though the ducati's ride is much buttery and spoiled like you are some royalty, it is a great bike by it's own right as well. But I prefer to use the lugged for crits and shorter races.

Similar Products Used: olmo scatto, khs flite 300, bianchi ducati corse, colnago c-50, csk
Umbaerto Carchia   Recreational Rider [Jun 21, 2008]
Strength:

Power transfer, comfortable ride, climbing, desending & cornering.

None!

Awesome Bike! The ride is very comfortable, Power transfer is maybe it's strongest suit, strong bottom bracket w/ no flex, ensure excellent climbing & desending. I can't leave out the handling, this thing takes corners as if it's on rails. Hands free riding is a breeze. Also, I have to mention, that the Record groupset is absolutely fantastic as well, simply the cream of the crop!
Hat's off to Bianchi, I lOVE THIS BIKE!

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Giro, Specialized Tarmac.
Cogito   Recreational Rider [Feb 05, 2008]
Strength:

Beauty, stiffness, tracking, value

Could be lighter I suppose but see strengths 2 and 4

This bike replaced my S Works E5 that was little too small for me and bit banged up from some race crashes. I had a Bianchi single speed mtn bike and was interested in an Italian brand with heritage. I don't think it's any faster than the E5 but it's more comfortable and way better looking. I love the different tube shapes. I agree with the other reviews on handling, though I never had any shimmy on this bike and I know what shimmy is. If your bike wobbles when you pull on the front brakes have an experienced mechanic look at it because there's something wrong with the way it was put together. I would add that it is super quiet and flawless to ride. I still think it's beautiful after two years. I've had Dura Ace 9 and Ksyriums on it but currently run 07 Chorus and Euros. Nothing wrong with the former but I like the elegance of Campy. I'd love to see this bike weigh sub 16 lbs but I think that will necessitate an upgrade to carbon tubulars. Right now it's 17.4 with everything on it. 56cm. The frame weighs 1190g stripped.

Similar Products Used: '03 Specialized S Works E5
Kestrel 200SCi
fcurtis   Road Racer [Jan 25, 2008]
Strength:

Stiffness, looks, lugs, and it is Italian.

Fork wobbles during breaking, and shain stay geometry seems off.

I go the bike as a warranty replacing my beautiful 928 120th Anniversary frame that cracked along the down tube. It took a while for the frame to come int but once it did, it was well worth it. The lugged frame is an upgrade from my old 928. The ride quality is about the same from the 928 monocoque yet the stiffness that comes in the new lugged is superb. Accelerations feel lightning quick with this frame. I have noticed two drawbacks with this frame. The first is concerned with the full carbon fork. The fork begins to vibrate when the front brakes are applied and shakes the whole bike. Nothing to worry about, just an annoying. The second has to do with the frame geometry and chainstay placement. Whenever I am in my 34 chainwring and in any of the 4 smaller cogs in the rear, the chain rubs the front 50 chain ring. My LBS said there was nothing they could do and it was the compact gearing yet my other frame did not have these problems.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi SL3 Veloce, Bianchi 928 120th Anniversary
otoman   Road Racer [Jan 16, 2008]
Strength:

Cornering, comfort and stability.
Great durability - I have put 15K miles on this bike with no issues with the frame/fork at all.

not the lightest out there but certainly light enough. I believe the frame is 1350 grams in a size 60.

Fantastic bike. It is stable at 50+ mph speeds yet can carve a corner. Truly, the cornering is telepathic - it is not twitchy nor do I feel like I am pushing it through the corner. Very stiff with efficient power transfer but all day comfortable. The $4200 price I paid was without wheels as I already had a few sets laying around.

Similar Products Used: Orbea Onyx - felt too dead/wooden
Kuota Kredo - same but a bit better than the Orbea
Cannondale - way too harsh.
dchap   Recreational Rider [Sep 03, 2007]
Strength:

Comfort and fit, agile on corners, climbs like a mountain goat. The frame is drop dead gorgeous, and the bike has that Italian appeal.

I'm afraid the only real weakness is me.

With just a couple hundred miles on the bike, I must say I am very pleased. The carbon frame absorbs typical road chatter and makes for a very smooth ride. The bike is agile and climbs much better than my other bike. The fit is right on and the bike is quite comfortable.

Similar Products Used: GT zr 2.0, Cannondale R800
Nubes   Recreational Rider [Mar 28, 2007]
Strength:

everything, with so many sizes to choose from you can really dial it in, she fits me like a glove...the Nano Tech frame is super stiff, the bike accelerates awesome, the bigger the hill or mountain the better, this is my first all-carbon rig and I love they way it seems to gobble up all the road chatter that I have noticed on other bikes, she descends well too and I'm not the lightes rider out there at 180, I dont feel much flex at all when corning down a twisty descent, this is a great all around bike, centuries or racing she can do it all

I'm the only weakness on this bike!

this is the 2007 Nano-Tech 928...the bikes MSRP was around 5800 but since my buddy owns a bike shop I got it for 4800 plus taxes and what not, total price paid was around 5200....ITM 101 cockpit, Kyserium SL wheels, FSA Mega-Exo carbon crank, Dura-Ace brakes, shifters and derailers, Fizik Arione saddle, shes 16lbs stock, I could have built her lighter but I wanted a bike a little more stable for all around riding and unless your a cat 1 racer 16lbs is plenty light

razoredge   Road Racer [Feb 04, 2007]
Strength:

Handling and responsiveness is exceptional. This bike translates the pedal stroke into forward motion very very well. Another big strength is the comfort when you've been in the saddle 5 hours.

None that I have seen. People stop and want to talk about the bike when I'm out on solo training rides and I come up on other riders. But that's a good thing.

This bike is like butter. I had a race mechanic crack the clearcoat on the top tube of my Kestrel. Not covered under warranty, so my LBS offered to get me in a new frame for the price of a replacement frame from Kestrel. I really liked my Kestrel, but I thought I would look at my options. My LBS suited me up with a Biancho Liquigas 928 Carbon Lugged frame and an Orca Opal and one of the new steel frames. Both bikes were exceptional and felt more responsive than my old Kestrel. I have a short training loop near the LBS so I put in a couple of hours into each bike (Twice!). I was very impressed with both bikes, but for hours in the saddle, I could tell that the Bianchi Liquigas bike was going to be more comfortable. I could also tell that I could sprint from a red light equally well with both bikes. Actually the bottom bracket in the Bianchi was stiffer than the Kestrel. So I closed the deal and went with the 928 and I haven't looked back. I have used the Garmin 305 for the past couple of years and I picked a 3 hour training route that I know very well and used the Kestrel on a lot to see if the difference in bikes went beyond feel. Well, I made it through two separate comparisons and I can say that the data shows that the Bianchi (using the same gruppo and wheels as the Kestrel) averaged a full 1 MPH faster over the 50 miles (with 3,900 feet of climbing). Plus there is a huge hill right at the house that takes me 15 minutes to climb. Always has. No matter what time of the year...15 minutes. Well last week, I climbed it in 13:30! I couldn't believe it. I am very impressed with this bike. I highly recommend to any serious cyclist that they give the 928 a try.

Similar Products Used: Been riding a Kestrel Talon and Wilier Lavaredo. Kestrel has the full carbon Campy Record gruppo. The Wilier has the full Campy Centaur gruppo.
RTKactive   Triathlete [Oct 02, 2006]
Strength:

Incredibly responsive power transfer but extremely comfortable ride

Beautiful pearlescent paint job

I've had the highspeed shimmies twice now on fast dscents... a bit disconcerting

I got this bike for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Tour de France and it performed well beyond my expectations.

The lugged carbon frame allowed me more choices for fitting, so I was able to get the perfect frame size. Its squarish top tube and oversized downtube and head tube delivered stiffness that I didn't expect in a carbon rig.

With carefully selected components, I was able to bring this bad boy in at 14.7 lbs... plenty light for my 170 lb lardass.

Best of all, it climbed like a dream. With compact cranks and super wheels, the long ascents in the Alps were totally enjoyable.