Bianchi 928 Carbon Road Bike

Bianchi 928 Carbon Road Bike

Here carbon fibre research reaches the pinnacle of both design and performance. The use of UHM/IM Ultra High Modulus Graphite carbon fibres, which are 47% more resistant than the standard fibres currently used in the market, feature a tensile strength of up to 2.800 N/mm2. Designed and oriented by means of FEM (Finite Element method) software. The exclusive design from Bianchi Reparto Corse, which combines the down tube and the oversized seat tube with the rear Monostay, improves the resistance to twisting and lateral bending thus resulting in a good transfer of power to the rear triangle.

[Feb 04, 2015]
Jon Knutson

Strength:

Smooth riding bike used it on RAGBRAI (Ride Across Iowa) numerous times. Compact crank 50/34 worked great on hills.

Bike developed cracks near head set and the bottom bracket. It was a 2005 model 125th Anniversary edition bought in 2006. Bianchi replaced frame and fork with 2009 model (in 2010). The new model gave about a 20 % increase in performance and it looks like a hunting bow. Very happy with Bianchi for backing up their bike the new model is magnificent

Early models had a tendency to develop cracks, however, Bianchi figured it out and the new carbon fiber bikes are fantastic.

[May 04, 2011]
jojo

Strength:

- stiff yet comfortable
- great road feel
- superb handling
- not crazy light but feels sturdy
- excellent climbing and sprinting bike and also a superb randonnering bike (makes no sense but this thing is comfortable)

- They stopped making it!!!! Why! Oltre is expensive, regular 928 is beautiful as well so might have to get one of those next.

I got this as a cheaper bike for crits so I would not crash my Look 585, but I ended up riding this bike more than anything else. It us superbly comfortable and yet super stiff when it counts. It is so effortless and easy and climbs extremely well. I have tried a lot of bikes and have yet to find one I like better. Too bad they do not make the T-Cube anymore. Has great road feel (does not feel dead like a top of the line Trek or Specialized carbon bike) and handles perfectly. I really like this thing. Have full 7900DA on it and various wheels sets eg. I also do long rides and brevets 200-600kms on this and am perfectly comfortable, no aches or pains from this one except the old pain in the butt after sitting many hours on my selle italia flite. Superb bike, you notice Bianchis 100 years of experience building bike while riding this thing. Must count for something.

- Look 585
- Seven ID8
- Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3
- Trek Madone 5.2

[Nov 02, 2010]
STS_PA

Strength:

Very good climber with no noticeable flex, although I'm not a powerhouse at 145 lbs. Tracks straight at >40+ mph and decends well. Very light, good looking frame that feels robust. Quality detailing on the frame (badges vs. stickers, etc.). Veloce shifters/brakes have worked flawlessly. Good value at price I paid.

Ride is pretty stiff. The frame is only 1 KG, but Veloce components and supplied wheels, bars, stem, seat, etc. are heavy. I got a deal on mine, but never would have paid full sticker ($3500) for these components. Handling not as inspiring (to me) as the CLX.

I have around 4K miles on my celeste 928 T-Cube, which replaced a Colnago CLX destroyed by a car. The 928 feels more hard-edged than the CLX. Its stiffer and the quicker handling requires more attention, although it holds a line very well. Attractive bike that retains a classic look. Definitely behaves like the pro level frame it is.

Colnago CLX (Great bike), Merlin Extralight, Fondriest Status, Pinarello Asolo.

[Sep 07, 2009]
unclerock

Strength:

climbing, accelerating out of corners

none yet

Review is for a 2008 T-cube w/Veloce and Fulcrum 7 wheels. I just bought the bike about 2 months ago and only ride it on weekend long & group rides, ~250 mi on the bike so far, frame arrived truly like new & components had 0 miles. This is my first all-carbon bike. It came with a Bontrager saddle, not stock. Replaced with SLR vanox, best saddle I've owned. This bike accelerates superbly, and climbs like a dream. Truly the best climbing bike I've ever ridden, seems to accelerate up hills. Its very stable on the flats and the carbon frame & post soak up larger bumps pretty well. I have noticed a goodly amount of hand buzz from poor condition chip-seal roads, wondering if a carbon bar might help with that. The bike is amazingly light and very nice finish - Bianchi Green!

'86 Falcon 6spd, Reynolds 531 steel
'06 Guru chron'alu tri-bike

[Jul 08, 2009]
fliowa

Strength:

Great bike for centuries and tours. Bike came with lifetime frame warranty and my LBS threw in free maint. for life as well.

The shifter cables rub on the top portion of the fork. The rubber sleeves around the cables are suppose to prevent this but don't because they slide up and down. It is a cosmetic issue only.

2008 C2C with 105. I have put about 3500 miles on this bike since purchase in 2008. I have done a century ride and a 270 mile three day tour on it. I can't imagine a more comfortable bike for long rides. It really absorbs the bumps. If you are looking for a high miler this bike would fit the bill.

Raleigh, Cannondale

[Nov 19, 2008]
Bianchi Jim

Strength:

Appearance - Very nice looking frame. Very stable especially descending at higher speeds (> 45 mph)

It cracked! Also, it was not as light as it could have been. I also noticed some heavily discounted frames - after I purchased mine. I could have gotten one cheaper.

I purchased this frame as an upgrade to a 2002 steel Bianchi Veloce. I then upgrade all of the Campy Veloce goup to Record. I thought I had the bike setup just the way I wante it. While I enjoyed the new frame and liked the appearance I was very disappointed when cracks appeared in two spots on the frame near the seatpost. Bianchi stood behind it, with a fee to upgade to the new 928 SL since they no longer made the frame or had any in stock. It took quite a while to get this change over complete.

Bianchi Veloce and now Bianchi 928 SL

[Aug 14, 2008]
MeLikeyBikey

Strength:

Stiff frame, light, and really sharp looking. I get "that is a beautiful bike" all the time. Durable so far.

Bianchi OEM parts, like all OEM parts aren't very good IMO.

I really have enjoyed this bike so far. It is very light and stiff and climbs and descends well. I made the similar upgrades as others, i.e. seat, handle bar and wheels. I went with a compact bar, Selle seat and American Classic 420 wheels with Conti 4000s tires. I think I am right around 16.5 lbs now.

Orbea Onix, Madone 4.5, Rocky Mtn CR 70, Specialized Tarmac Expert

[Jul 26, 2008]
shoepuke

Strength:

Weight, Quick Handling, Style (It's the best looking bike in town, and honestly the 07 looks better than the 08 (07 has Carbon Weave visible)).

Frame cracked (successfully warranted).

Purchased last fall from LBS. Luckily one of the guys in the local shop is the same size as me, so I picked up his old 07 928SL HoC for about $2k less that it would have cost me to assemble the parts myself. Was my second bike after riding an 07 Madone from July-Oct. I just finished my first year of riding so I don't have a ton of experience, but even so, the differences between the 928SL and the 07 Madone 5.2SL were significant. The most notable differences were 1) Weight: the 928SL was about 15.75lbs. with my pedals and Terry Zero-Y saddle vs. 18.0lbs. for the stock 07 Madone with my pedals and a Selle San Marco Aspide Composite saddle. 2) Handling: The 928SL has very aggressive geometry (rake/trail) and as such is very "responsive". It took me about a month to come to grips with it's handling characteristics compared to the comparatively mundane Madone. Riding hands off the bars for more than a few seconds has some risk, especially it there is even a mild cross wind. I've recently gone back to a trek while my 928SL frame is being warranted for a crack where the chainstay meets the bottom bracket, and realize I really miss the quickness of the 928SL now that I'm accustomed to it. It literally turns on a dime. 3) Stiffness: The 928 seems stiffer in the BB area, and more efficient in translating pedal effort into forward motion.
I'm getting the T-Cube version of the 928 as a warranty replacement hoping its additional weight and stiffness will equal additional strength (the frame crack issue has made me weary of saving 100grams on a $3000 part).
This is a great bike if you're a racer, or are into competitive group rides where the hills turn skyward. It's definitely not a touring or casual ride bike. Also, it's geometry will suit people with shorter torso's (top tube is shorter compared to seat tube).

07 Trek Madone 5.2SL.

[Jul 26, 2008]
thehammerdog

OK, I had the bike for 6 months now. It is one of 3 in my stable so I do not ride it as much as I should.I luv the bike, however, I found a small crack on the undeside of the BB when I was cleaning it. I hope it is not a sign of the future..Bianci rep will assess this week and if it is replace I will need to pay for the swap out..

[Jun 24, 2008]
Gary Smith

Strength:

Styling, smooth and stiff

The head tube seems a little short when compared to other bikes in this class -- OCR, F35, Synapse, etc.

I am an older rider that likes 50 - 80 mile rides and I do a few centurys. For comfort and duration, I have migrated to relaxed geometry bikes. Last one was a Giant OCR Carbon. I moved my SLs from the OCR to the C2C so I am riding it with the same wheels and tires.

While I didn't think there could be smoother ride than the OCR C, the C2C is amazing -- like it had full suspension. And, it is noticeably stiffer when climbing out of the saddle. I also think the handling is better than the Giant. Obviously, I am very impressed with this bike and would recommend it to anyone.

Giant TCR Carbon, Giant OCR Carbon, Jamis Ventrua Elete