Bianchi Eros Road Bike

Pedals: Victor VP-109
Tires: 700 x 25c Continental Sport 1000

[Feb 18, 2016]
M Ludke

Strength:

Weight, comfort, reliability, steel frame, components and cost, Long-ride friendly.

"Mirage" groupo is simply not as amazing as other Campi groupsets, With a mix of a "kind-of" touring triple crankset and road geometry, the bike feels like it competently does everything, while excelling at little.

I am a messenger in Denver CO, and have been riding road bikes while couriering for 3 years. Usually I rode older touring models that had the strength of hard models, but closer to a roadbike's geometry. When my 1991 Schwinn Voyagour's frame failed I found what I consider to be the single best mix of speed, reliability and strength in the 2003 Bianchi Eros. I ride 30-50 miles with around 500-1000 feet of climbing every day, and so far the triple crankset and more "aggressive" geometry of the Eros has left me speechless. Not only do I ride distance daily, but the Eros has held up while ridden over bumpy, pot hole infested downtown city streets. While I am accustomed to spending hundreds of dollars every several months keeping up older frames, this one has held out with minimal tuning (done by myself) and a few bucks tossed at the LBS for cables/BB inspections ect...

Let it be known that I despise "hybrid" style frames, but appreciate the durability and comfort of those models. For that reason, I believe that any commuter/beginner distance rider (randonneur, centuries, long commutes), or hardcore street kid, will feel at home with the Bianchi Eros. It's superb blend of mid-high components (including the wonderful Mavic wheels that are an incredible bang for their buck), geometry, steel frame, and triple crankset make it a surefire win for anyone looking to seriously start biking.

[Sep 15, 2008]
manfromcolorado

Strength:

Rock-solid steel frame and carbon fork, Mavic Aksium wheels (the best--always stay true), Campy drivetrain.

The saddle (Bianchi Velo) is not a weakness, but for me, the width of the saddle is. My sit bones measures 150mm, the Bianchi Saddle is, I believe, 140. But for $699.00 there really are no weaknesses.

For what I paid, this is the best bike on the market, bar none. At the time I did not want to pay a lot for a carbon bike because I wasn't sure if I would stick with cycling. The sales person recommended a Specialized Alez, a Trek (?) and the Bianchi Eros. The Specialized and Trek were outfitted with Shimano Tiagra and 105 and the Bianchi with Campy Mirage. After riding all three, the difference was like day and night. For my money, the Bianchi won hands down. I've ridden the bike in many, many centuries over the past 18 months and I can tell you that the bike is rock solid and, with the right rider, can blow past the more expensive, name brand carbon frames. The Mavic Aksium wheels are especially noteworthy. Their hubs keeps you gliding for miles. The Mirage shifts are, in my opinion, on par with Shimano's 105s although the Mirage drivetrain makes some noise when shifting. But when Bicycle Village warrants the bike for as long as you own it, you can't go wrong. My bike is stock except for the tires, handlebar and seat post. I replaced the non-folding, wire bead tires with Performance's Forte, installed a 42cm carbon handlebar and installed a 350 carbon seatpost. Oh, one more thing, I also installed Mr. Tuffy tire liner. Not one flat with over 2000 miles. The result is effortless cycling.

Fuju Team Carbon (61 cm) (Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace drivetrain, Ritchie handlebar, carbon stem, carbon seatpost, selle smp trk saddle, speedplay light pedals, Vitorrio Rubino tires)

Performance's Scattante (60 cm) (Shimano 105/Ultegra drivetrain, Ritchie handlebar, carbon stem, carbon seatpost, shimano, Look capatible, pedals, Vre

[Feb 07, 2008]
Epquist

Strength:

Value, comfort, duribility and good looks. Performance (for its class)

Weight. My bike (61cm frame) probably weights 22 pounds.

The Bianchi EROS was my first road bike and I will always remember it as the bike that got my addicted to cycling. When I first bought it I was shocked by how good looking it was, especially b/c it’s Celeste (Bianchi light blue color). Maybe its just the color but the bike will definitely turn heads. I put about 60 to 80 miles on it a week and completed a century as well as a many other 60 plus mile rides. The Steel frame makes it very comfortable. That being said I don't feel like the bike is slow as I can outpace many of my friends on new carbon frames. The Campy Veloce components have been problem free, durable and a pleasure to use. This bike is perfect for someone who is new to cycling and looking to get serious or for someone who wants to get in better shape by riding distance. Out of all the bikes I have owned no other bike has a value like this one. I frequently choose to ride it over my BMC!

2007 BMC Team Machine

[Mar 19, 2007]
James

Strength:

Frame is outstanding for comfort, love the Mirage drivetrain, Mavic Askium wheelset is strong (I'm 220) and I have hit some serious potholes and remain absolutely true. Beautiful welds and falwless paint (love the Celeste color).

Seat is not comfortable and replaced with Specialized Avatar.

If you enjoy any distance riding, you will quickly appreciate how smooth and comfortable this bike is. After riding almuinum frames, the Reynolds steel frame and carbon fork of the Eros, absorbs bumps, road imprefections, and chip seal asphalt like a sponge. Perfect geometry for any charity rides, longer distances, and flawless Camp drivetrain.

Test rode: Trek 1000 and 1500, sold my 2004 Specialized Allez. Aluiminum frames are great for racing, but after 10 miles you will appreciate the less jarring ride of quality steel with carbon fork.

[Dec 13, 2006]
Lawrencer2003

Strength:

Marvelous century bike, all day comfort and performance. Great upgrade platform. Mavic wheels are still true and strong. Super value. Braze ons, pump peg for light touring.

Mirage is just a shadow of the real Campi stuff. Impossible to tune, flimsy and imprecise. Very dissapointed that the frame failed as I had plans to upgrade the drive train. Cheap headset wore out quickly replaced by a Cris King.

I bought this bike because Outside Mag. featured it a best buy. I'm a big guy 6' 225lbs and my wife said it looked like I was riding a greyhound. The rear wheel fell apart on the second ride but no problems therafter. The mirage shifters died in a crash, replaced by Chorus. I had to replace the headset with a Chris King. I put thousands of happy miles on this bike until the frame failed behind the headset last year. I cannot bring myself to toss it out but replaced it with a new Waterford RST22 this year. Great bike and fond memories.

A string of older road & hybrid bikes and now custom Waterford RST 22.

[Oct 03, 2006]
Andrew Hinerfeld

Strength:

Comfortable ride, yet responsive. Good gear range and nice overall geometry for long distance recreational riding.

Perhaps the weight, but how would I know after riding thousands of miles on a mtn. bike.

I bought this bike as an upgrade from recreational riding on my 92 Kona mtn. bike with slicks. I toured across the country ten years ago and am an avid country road recreational cyclist. This bike suits me just fine. I like the combination of steel frame with carbon fork and the slightly relaxed position. The bike is definitely comfortable, yet plenty responsive. If you want a more aggressive geometry, tweak the stem and set. I tried this, but quickly went back to the stock geometry --so comfortable, yet still very ergonomically correct for aggressive riding. Also, I like the triple chain rings as we have some hilly terrain and I like to stay in the saddle and keep my cadence above 80. Oh, I instantly switched saddles --my Italia saddle is way more comfortable than the Bianchi saddle --which now resides on the 14 year old Kona! SO FAR, SO GOOD.

[Aug 31, 2006]
eltonito

Strength:

Incredibly smooth ride, wide gearing, Campy components, beautiful steel frame.

Mirage shifters have plastic levers, which seem to work fine but I wonder how durable they will be.

The front shifter/derailluer can be tricky until you adapt to them.

Alex Rims seem to be the weakest spot on the bike - in less than 200 miles of riding I've bent the rear enough to rub the rear brake.

The included pedals are highly disposable.

The Bianchi Eros is my first road bike. I logged about 300 miles on a borrowed '01 Cannondale and for a few weeks I purchased a used Specialized Epic Comp from a co-worker and he was nice enough to take it back when I fell in love with the Bianchi.

It wasn't love at first sight. Originally I was turned off by Celeste color, but I was intrigued by the steel frame and the great clearance price at the local shop. Fortunately, I found a royal blue model that looks like a work of art and after taking it for a quick spin I immediately had to have it.

Compared to the low-end Shimano STI's, the Campagnolo Mirage's fit my large hands like a glove. They take a little getting used to, but once you adjust to the slightly different shifting methods it is a no brainer. Even more confusing at first was the brake release, which is ingenius!

The black powder coated Mirage components certainly aren't going to win any beauty contests, but each component does a flawless job without complaint. The rear derailluer delivers confident shifting with little chatter and has no troubles shifting up 3 gears at a time in either direction. I'm happy to report it shifts well under stress. The front shifter and derailluer seem to be a little more picky, but once you master then you can shift both the front and the rear at the same time. This is perfect for those awkward moments when you really want to drop to a lower ring, but don't want to lose momentum.

Most importantly the Bianchi Eros is a great frame and a great package. The ride is smooth, handling is par and the geometry seems more comfortable than other road bikes I have riden.

At first the race inspired seat was painful, but I vowed to stick it out and it seems to be getting more flexible and comfortable with each mile. I urge any Eros rider to stick with the seat - it does get better. A great future upgrade would be a carbon seatpost to further smooth out the ride.

Finally we get down to the wheels and tires. The tires are nothing special, but fit in with the overall theme of the bike. Vittoria Zaffiro's - Italian, simple and functional. While I haven't heard much about Alex wheels, I hadn't really heard anything bad. They look great on the bike and have an aero design to them. Unfortunately the low spoke count wheel has trouble staying true under my 250lbs. Most wheels would probably falter, but the previous bikes I rode didn't seem to have the troubles I've had with the Alex rims. Plan on a future wheel replacement if you weigh over 200lbs.

90's Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 2001 Cannondale R400

[Aug 18, 2006]
Jack Easley

Strength:

Durability and longevity of steel. Campy grouppo, even at entry level, is sweet. Bike a little heavier than more expensive models, but MUCH lighter than most hybrids and MTBs. Great service and fitting from LBS.

Me. The bike is so much better than I am, It may take a long time to find any flaws.

2006 Bianchi Eros after 400 miles. This is my first road bike (unless you consider the Peugeot 10 speed I owned thirty years ago). At almost 60 years old, I had been looking for a way to exercise that was fun and easy on the old body parts. I tried several bikes, and was wanting to upgrade from my 3 year old Trek 7300 hybrid, which is a great bike for beginning riders and old farts like me who are just looking for something to use to get back into shape. I had been looking only at aluminum/carbon road bikes, preferrably under $2K, but I did not feel as confident as I did on the hybrid due to the geometry and drop style bars. I was leaning toward the purchase of a straight bar road bike. Then, while at the Bianchi shop, they asked if I had tried any steel bikes. My first reaction was just to say "no thanks" and move on. But, after finding what advances had been made in steel, and, considering my desire for a triple crank, I looked at the EROS. My first test ride nailed my decision. The Eros rides like a dream. I just want to hop on and go. The LBS did not even let me ride without including (free of charge) a $100.00 Serfas Terazzo seat, which is a necessity, as I understand the stock seat is not so comfy. My build is rather stocky, at 5'8" and 240 lbs.(OK, I am an old fat man), but the Eros gave me the feeling that I was a kid on a rocket ship. After over 400 miles in a little over 5 weeks, I can honestly say this is a bike I plan to keep for a very long time. And, yes, I will keep my old 7300 for more casual rides, but I am in love with my Eros. BTW, I had the Speedplay Frog clipless pedals that were on my hybrid moved to the Bianchi, for they are just perfect for my riding style.

Tried Trek pilot(a really great bike) and REI bikes. I wish the REI salesguy knew more about bikes. Maybe I just got someone who was bucking for a sale. I love REI, but my bike purchasing experience was not the best.

[Jul 10, 2006]
Harold

Strength:

Smooth shifting and looks nice.

VERY, VERY HEAVY and The price is too high this bike should be sold at most $500.00.

The bike looks nice but too heavy and price is out of hand. Does shift smoothly and rides ok. Beside the shifting I prefer to ride my old 1983 Benotto it is a much smoother ride. I will trade in for better and liter bike for the same price I paid for this bike. I do not recommend unless you pay under $500.00 or less.

Giant, Trek

[Jun 19, 2006]
Dan L.

The geometry makes this a tough bike for serious racing. Also, it's a bit heavy, esp. compared to aluminum frames. This is nit-picky, but there is a cable bracket right where the seat tube and the top tube meet, meaning it's actually painful to throw the bike over your shoulder (to carry up stairs, for example).

I love this bike! I put 150 miles on it the first weekend I had it. It just wants to go, and it's its /really/ comfortable.

I test-rode the similarly priced Trek 1500, Cannondale R700, and an all-carbon Fuji. I went with the Bianchi for a couple of major reasons: 1) the slightly relaxed geometry makes for a much more comfortable ride when commuting or pulling the kids in a trailer; 2) the Campagnolo Mirage components were MUCH smoother than the Shimano 105 and even Ultegra on the other bikes; 3) the push-button upshifting and levered downshifting is awesome.

The carbon fork is fabulous--I ride on urban streets and the potholes, patches, and speedbumps are easily absorbed.

Rode a steel-frame Trek 560 for the last 12 years, with mostly Shimano 600 components.