Bianchi Vigorelli Road Bike

Pedals: Wellgo clipless
Tires: 700 x 23c Vittoria Rubino Tech

[Apr 03, 2017]
NurseCycle

Strength:

A joy to ride for a fat girl. Much easier on hills than my previous aluminum bike. I have been riding this bike for more than ten years now. The comfort and ease of downhill speeding makes this bike thrilling. It's easy to ride without hands, or doing the YMCA song while clipped in. I wasn't able to do that with an aluminum frame, which made my ride more unstable. I tried out some carbon bikes over the years, but always went back to the steel. The extra weight was worth the better feel and smoother ride.

The only problem I've had with this bike is that sometimes it doesn't shift well on uphills. Not a big deal, considering ten years of great riding. The top tube is a bit long for my short body frame, which isn't a weakness in the bike, but it does make it hard on my neck on longer rides. It's made for a man's longer torso, and I never could adjust the stem to fit me well enough.

I have loved this bike, and enjoyed taking it many places. It's been a commuter, a training bike, a weekender bike, and helped me raise over $16,000 for the MS Bike Rides. My neck is in need of something else, and I have given this bike to someone who needs it more than I do, and fits the bike better than I did. I truly hate to part with it, as it's the best bike I have owned. However, my other bike is also a Bianchi steel touring bike, and I enjoy it very much, too. When I get another road bike, I will look for a Bianchi.

[Apr 17, 2010]
philipaparker

Strength:

Smooth ride, traditional geometry, high quality.

Wheel set

I bought a new 2010 Bianchi Vigorelli because I wanted a steel frame bike with traditional geometry, seems as most of the shop bike mechanics around San Francisco ride steel frame bikes. I have a carbon frame bike which is very stiff and unforgiving. I felt every pebble in the road. For a long distance the Bianchi is really comfortable. I don't race, just ride with my club, do Charity rides, centuries and Gran fondos. The bike with pedals weights 19.2 lbs vs 17.4 lbs on my carbon bike with peddles. So the weight isn't a that much of difference. I did change the wheels to Mavic Aksium everything else is stock. Really didn't have to change anything else. Very good quality and am very pleased with the bike overall.

Look 555

[Dec 30, 2009]
BDM

Strength:

Ultegra group. Steel frame.

Heavier than alu. I notice it on the hills.

I ride on the back roads, beat up bike paths, etc. Steel is durable, reliable, and predicatble. My 2006 is all Ultegra-and it just works.

[Aug 31, 2008]
Steve

Strength:

Smooth ride. I'm getting a new bike but will keep this one as my work horse; great for commuting to work and running errands in town.

Climbing is truly a nightmare on this bike.

I have only owned Bianchis. I loved this bike until I went on a 6 day, 80+ mile per day ride with lots of hills. Climbing is a huge chore. I came to realize that this bike is maybe a bit more comfortable than the lighter, carbon bikes but that trade-off is not worth the extra effort on the hills.

[Nov 01, 2006]
just_ryd

Strength:

Comfort - nothing rides like an Italian designed steel bike!

Climbing is a chore. This is possibly due to weight (22+ lbs with an underseat bag and two bottles). Original stem too long for even a 6'4" rider on a 61cm.

An excellent bike for the money. It came with a FULL Ultegra group and Mavics for a good price. It is a comfortable steed for long rides or commuting, possibly light touring. It can be a bit flexy on out of the saddle climbs, even more than some other steel frames. Climbing is not my specialty, but I notice a big difference between this bike and my Cannondale al-frame flyweight. Having said that, I am sure this rig will be with me as long as I can ride, 'cause steel is real! I'm sure I could spend a small fortune making it lighter, but that could undermine the reliability of this bike. Three years of riding and the only needed repairs have been tires and tune-ups.

Too many to list...

[Jun 05, 2006]
Bianchi2005LunaRider

Strength:

Durable strength of steel frame
Quality Ultegra group
Attractive red/white paint combo
Moves out well from a stop
It is a Bianchi

Can be a bit heavy for some riders

This bicycle is used to commute to and from work 3 times each week. The ride is 12 miles each way and includes smoothly paved and rough (somewhat paved) roads as well as the Stevens Creek trail (smooth).
The 30-speed offers various gear selection for all levels of incline. This is an excellent training ride, with quality components at a reasonble price.

Can not comment since my other ride is a Luna :) for non-commute - weekend rides

[Jan 13, 2005]
Wolfgang76

Strength:

Ultegra group, Mavic Wheels, Carbon fiber fork.

Weight is not a big issue for me but I had this bike weighed at 22 lbs. A bit heavy for a new bike. It is a 61 cm. My old 1984 Peugeout Super Vitus Steel tubing weighs less (20lbs) than the new bike 20 years younger. I am not a big fan of the Vittoria Rubino tech tires. I switched them out to Continental Grand Prix 4 (my preference). I also switched out the seat. The one that came with looks decent but the Terry racing seat I had is familar to me so I made the switch. And lastly, my old bike was a racing bike so the accuracy and precision of the turning was much better. I think since this bike is a touring bike it looses that agressive stance of my former bike. Not a big deal to me, but it was fun once in a while to lean into a turn at top speed and have that kind of control.

I shopped around endlessly for my new road bike, and after test riding many different bikes I bought the 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli. I bought it because any bike over $1000 is a big investment for me and I wanted a great steel bike which should last a long time and perform well. The bike fit me like a glove and I am a pretty tall guy; also, the bike is very smooth and offers a triple crank allowing me to climb some of my favorite mountains/hills much easier that I used to struggle with on my old double crank race bike. The Ultegra components work perfect- shifting is like a dream, much nicer than my old friction shifters. The brakes push down like butter, very smooth braking, and can stop dead on if pushed tightly. The ultegra goup is one of the main reasons I bought this model. I tried a few lesser Shimano products like 105 and I also tried some lower end Campagnolo (Mirage/Veloce) and I preffered the Ultegra, although a bit pricier. The mavic Ksyrium wheelset is also nice. So overall, the bike has a great relaxed fit, ultegra components that work like a dream, and strong Mavic wheels and hubs. I am not interested so much in weight or speed. I do long 50+ mile rides and this bike is comfortable.

Bikes I demoed before buying the Bianchi: Giant TCR, OCR1 Bianchi Giro, Eros Lemond Zurich (too pricy)

[Jan 05, 2005]
goldeneye

Strength:

Smooth, compliant ride; reliable Ultegra components and Mavic wheels; reasonable price and excellent value.

It's not a light bike! I put it on the scale at the bike shop: 22 lbs! You can probably drop 1+ lbs with lighter seat post, stem, tires, etc. But it will never be close to a light aluminum or CF bike.

The Vig is a smooth-riding steel-framed bike with a good set of components. It's an excellent all-around bike for Centuries and serious recreational riding. I demo'ed many bikes, and found I liked the steel ride best, and the Vig happens to fit me like a glove. It's a little bit flexy - yes, even a recreational rider like me (~2500 miles/yr) can detect this. Just hammer up a good hill and you can feel it. But this also makes for a comfortable ride for those 50-100 mile days. Components are all Ultegra - excellent, in my view. Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels are a good price/performance tradeoff, and have held up very well.

Trek 1500 LeMond BA (demoed for a while)