Bianchi Virata Road Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Continental Ultra Gator Skin

[Jul 02, 2011]
Mark Osmers

Strength:

Frame stiffness and comfort - acceleration is strong

Weighs 2-3 lbs more than a full carbon from a top manufacturer.

This bike is the best intermediate on the road. The frame is light and the ride is compliant for long rides. My bike is outfitted with a full Ultegra component set. The shifting is smooth and the brakes work flawlessly. I have put 5,000 miles (8046 KM) on the components and frame without issue. I would recommend this combo to anyone who is looking to step up to a new ride under $3,000

S-Works SL-2 Tarmac

[Apr 02, 2009]
xantros

Strength:

Light, price (I bought a "new" 2005 in 2008), full Ultegra group, unique, smoooooth

Terrible saddle

Two years and thousands of miles later, this is still my favorite bike! After suffering through many heavy, cheap, and old bikes for years I decided to get a real bike for an upcoming triathlon but something that I could enjoy riding everyday. I also wanted something unique, but at a price point of ~$1500 there isn't a ton of variety. It feels like I tried every boring entry-level bike out there until I found this one. WOW, I did not think I would be able to afford anything this nice. The only mods I've done to it are swap out the terrible saddle (there was actually a screw sticking into the center), replace the scratched up seatpost, and got some handlebars the correct width - and it only weighs just under 18lbs! This bike isn't a sprinter but it is fast and the full Ultegra group has performed flawlessly. The 1/2 steel, 1/2 carbon frame makes this an extremely smooth ride that gets a ton of compliments from other cyclists (usually as I'm passing them!). If you need a do-anything bike at a great price, I cannot recommend this bike enough.

Tested Trek, Cannondale, Giant, LeMond, Specialized, Orbea, Raleigh, etc.

[May 18, 2008]
jbrad

Strength:

It is a jack-of-all-trades ride. Its pretty fast and quite stable, and you can ride it all day. Bianchi says its sub-19 lbs., my scale said 18.1. Having said that, it rode quite a bit lighter.

Its a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none bike. Its not really a race bike and its not really a touring bike. It is a very god choice if you only have the room, cash, or desire for one bike.

This is a fine bike, but there are other options out there at this price point and using this design/technology.

I bought this 2005 NOS in 2007. I used it as a trainer post-surgery. I had a choice of 2005 or 2006 NOS, I went withe 2005 because I liked the color scheme better.

Similar? Bianchi Veloce, fg lite, 2002 SL team. However none of these had a carbon rear tri..

[Apr 03, 2008]
montejames84

Strength:

Mentioned above.

No real complaints, but if it had come with carbon handlebars and nicer wheels, it would have been nice.

I have the 2005 model in traditional Bianchi celeste green. I have ridden it for two years. It is a fantastic bike overall. I have ridden both aluminum and carbon bikes. Aluminum is terrible; it should be illegal to make aluminum bike frames due to road vibrations. Carbon is great but so is fine steel. This bike really absorbs road vibration.
I am a 46 year old attorney-dad-husband and only get to ride once or twice a week, but I think it is plenty fast and very close to carbon framed bikes. The full Ultegra components of course work great.
I have upgraded the wheel set, stem and handlebars. Carbon stem and handlebars, and Spider custom wheels. The effect of these upgrades is a faster role and smoother ride, but the differences are pretty subtle.

Trek Pilot
Mercier Serpens

[Jul 30, 2006]
Nekidewtons

Strength:

Smooooothe steel frame ride and still lite weight.

Handlebars a inch too wide for my taste.

I shopped and shopped and shopped for the perfect bike. I knew I was only going to get one shot at a new road bike over the next several years so I wanted it to be perfect. I was looking for a value and hoping for an Italian frame. I did not expect to find the PERFECT bike but I did.

This sweet ride has all the benefits of a steel frame with carbon forks and rear triangle. It has the quiet ride of a monorail and I am comfortable in the saddle all day, but it still has the stiffness and power transfer of a thoroughbred racer (or at least a bad-ass club racer). And guess what, it has that Italian Bianchi mythos. Best of all, the 2005 model came in Bianchi Celeste Green. I really am pleased with every aspect of this bike and with the LBS (Black Dog Bikes) that special ordered it from Bianchi for me, set it up perfectly and tossed in some spd pedals, bottle cages, upgraded the stem, and gives his standard 1 year of free service. Gotta love that.

tested alum and carbon frames

[Sep 01, 2004]
Gamblor

Strength:

Great frame and fork Good component group Excellent all around riding bike

non cartridge headset

This is a great riding frame surrounded by quality components. The frame is a Dedacciai EOM tubeset front triangle with a Deda carbon rear. The full carbon forks also rides like a champ. It rides pretty fast but still has a very supple ride. Riding on air may be the best description. It's not quite race quick but is no slouch either. The carbon rear end keeps it effecient and light. Oh, it climbs pretty well too. If you like to ride at a good pace and put on fast miles this bike is for you. I'd call this a good trainer with the capability of racing in a pinch. I use it for tri's where it's comfort and relative speed make it ideal for a non-tri bike. The full Ultegra components work very well. No arguments there. The Mavic wheels with Continental Gatorskins feel very smooth plus give you confidence that you're ride won't end in a flat or a broken spoke. But this is one of the 3 areas of the bike that may want to changed. But they're solid wheels and wheels are always the place to spend money for ride improvement. Many bikes I looked at in this price range had far inferior wheelsets. The second being the seat. It's a good seat but just didn't fit me. GP Bikes were good to me a swapped it out in store. The last is the headset. It's an Aheadset by VP. It's not a cartidge setup. It's not a deal breaker by a long shot but if anything goes on this bike it'll be that.

Giant TCR 2 Bianchi Giro Colnago Active Fuji Team Litespeed Solano Felt F35 Specialized Roubaix Comp Cannondale R1000