Blue Competition Cycles RC7 Road Bike

RC7

• Aerus Composites T700 high modulus carbon tube set and lugs
  • Aerus Composites C4PRO full carbon fork with alloy dropouts 355g
  • Aerus Composites 1 1/8" integrated headset included 55g
  • Aerus Conquest T700 high modulus carbon Mono Box bottom bracket shell - English threaded
  • Available in XS, SM, MD, ML, LG, XL

• User Reviews (4)

kato258   Recreational Rider [Feb 05, 2011]
    Strength:

Light weight carbon fiber lugged construction; stiff but compliant. Compact design with large shaped cross-sections.

The clearcoat is a bit fragile. It needs continual touchup. The dealer base is also somewhat limited.

I bought this R7 frameset from a Colavita racer. What a great ride! It easily holds its own against my Madone SL. It's lugged construction reminds me of a friend's Colnago C40; very strong, stiff for climbs but still compliant.
    Blue Competition focuses on racing designs so they are not mainstream. The RC7 is one of their best. Finding one is well worth the effort. Newer models are monocoque and may be a touch lighter, but I like a lugged frame for it's durability.
    Check your geometry charts. Blue frame sizes runs small. My Medium-sized (54cm) RC7 measures very close to my 52cm Trek.

Similar Products Used: Trek Madone 5.2SL, Serotta Concours
    americandudley   Recreational Rider [Oct 20, 2009]
    Strength:

Comfort, Solidity, perfect for a century but itching for a criterium. PRICE! T700 carbon fiber is the workhorse carbon fiber found in so many frames costing in the $3K range. Why not save a grand for those who aren't in the 46, 50 and 60 ton, M40, T800, or T1000 carbon fiber price ranges!

Finish: Nowadays nearly all bikes are made in the east, but my others were made in Italy and France. And visually they've seemed to hold up better over time with greater attention to detail. The clear coat on my RC7 doesn't look as professional. I've also heard that final assembly is done in the USA, so it could be a domestic issue of quality here as well. It's not really an issue at all since I am seriously looking at buying the new AC1 SL model.

I have to admit that I haven't ridden a monocoque frame yet and that I tend to lean towards lugged frames. I am 6'6' 235lbs and still prefer the comfort that lugged frames supposedly have over their monocoque counterparts. I have a magnesium Dogma FP that after 40 miles or so, guarantees that my body will ache for the next few days.
    But one advantage to being a taller/larger cyclist is that there are so many excellent deals on bicycles. So that's why I tried the Blue RC7, and I was never gladder I did! I have the XL sloping size, which fit my long torso perfectly. Flex was not an issue, plus it absorbed almost all the road chatter I could encounter. The one characteristic which seemed to stand out the most was that I felt quicker on it than I did on my other bikes. In quicker I mean in terms of turning and overall agility. I've heard that past models were "twitchy", but I'd have to say the newer models are "snappier". Another recommendation is the Aerus carbon wingflex bar. It's is the most comfortable perfectly fitting bar I've ever had. I thought nothing could beat my Stella Azzurra Tirreno bar. I believe they're both made out of Toray's T700 carbon fiber but the Aerus is half the price???

Similar Products Used: Time VX Special Pro, Pinarello Dogma FP
    Marcus Dennis   Recreational Rider [Jul 29, 2009]
    Strength:

The ride is great, very stiff and quick. It snaps right away in accelerations, yet is comfortable and dampens vibrations on long rides as well. The steering is more aggressive due to the race angle of the fork. It is not so twitchy to prevent me from riding "no-hands" to get my jacket on or rummage through the jersey pockets.

None that I can think of.

This is the first "race" bike I have owned and I completely love it. Blue has always caught my eye for their high level of quality and esthetics. My RC7 has compact geometry and is a ML size. I ride a 54cm usually and it fits me well. My previous ride was a Cannondale R900 aluminum with carbon fork. So, this was a huge upgrade in equipment and ride quality.

Similar Products Used: I read several reviews from other manufacturers but test rode very few bikes in comparison. I wanted the Blue, so I went and got one.
    Doug Mitchell   Recreational Rider [Jul 24, 2008]
    Strength:

Full carbon frame softens the bumps but still allows for effective energy transfer.

ML frame still seems kind of small.

Purchased after a year of hard riding by one of the current Colavita team riders. This is a huge upgrade over my old Schwinn 754 that was full alum with a cromo fork. What a different it makes when your bike loses 10 pounds. Imagine if I did the same thing.