BMC Street Racer SR02 Road Bike

• Shifter: Shimano 105
  • Stem: Scor MKIII

[Apr 27, 2015]
Bryan Kim

Strength:

The design, stiffness, quick acceleration, and the amazing 105 group that is always there for you.

The frame could be a little lighter.

This bike rides like some of the top level bikes I've seen. It is very stiff and power transition is great. Downhills are a blast and climbing is not a problem although the slight weight.can be felt. Yes, this bike is a head turner.

[Sep 24, 2012]
Jorrit

Strength:

Geometry, Looks, Shimano105 triple group, responsive.

Overall weight, wheels

To sum up this bike i would say: Great bike, with good looks. It's fast, but somewhat compromised on the wheels and components. The bike felt 'race ready' from the start. It's responsive and comes with a buttery smooth 105 triple group.
The only down side is that this bike screams 'I want to go faster!' - And (maybe it's me, but) the weight of the components feel a bit limiting. I upgraded to lighter wheels, saddle, handlebars and seatpost. And now it feels perfect. I have the red version and i get a lot of compliments riding it.

Giant OCR
Gazelle Champion Mondial AA

[Aug 12, 2012]
Timothy Hansen

Strength:

Very affordable

Heavy wheels

The BMC Street Racer 02 is a very affordable bike. It can easily compete with other bikes that cost more. It is of alloy, so there are no worries when falling. The Shimano 105 is a good system, but still not nearly as good as the Ultegra and it might be a setback for some of the more serious riders. The bike is quite light and very sturdy and is effective in both sprints and when climbing. All in all, it is a good bike, and if you buy some better wheels, the bike will be great, even for racing.

[Feb 21, 2012]
holy cromoly

Strength:

105 Group. Even the cranks are 105 (which is where bike makers typically skimp with an FSA crank). Rebadge Tektro brakes are strong.

Tire clearance could be more accommodating. 25c tires barely fit and your wheels need to be properly dished and true to do so. This is has become more common place over the place 3 years with road bikes in general. You'll need side entry bottle cages for anything smaller than the 54cm frame.

Overall, a solid bike for everyday riding and training. The finish on the frame is top notch with uniquely hydro-formed tubes and clean welds. I wanted to pick up a solid daily bike to serve as a monday-friday commuter and weekend long distance road bike. Alum frame will hold up to worry-free riding and the 105 part spec is all most riders "need" to have fun in this sport. On a sizing note, the Streetracer and Roadracer frames from BMC are true compact frames (other BMC's are not). So don't be surprise if you find yourself sized one frame size down from your conventional current frame. The closest similar frames are the compact Giant bikes. I ditched the stock saddle, but if you like the Fizik Arione, then you'll like the stock OE Scor saddle. If you catch this bike on the $899 sale at various BMC dealers, it's a steal. At the full $1799 retail, there are other options with more bang for the buck such as Focus or Fuji when Performance has a sale.

Klein Q-Eite, Kona Kapu, Schwinn Fastback, Trek Y-Foil, Specialized Tricross

[Feb 16, 2012]
RyAn

Strength:

The Strengths for my streetmaster... The design of the frame... Very compact... I choose the 51 body frame intead of 53 or 54. I tought that's goin to be small for me. But some upgrades. Wow it's so sport's type roadbike.

For me the weakness is the person who rides it. I like racing type...bikes. But the streetracer sr02 2011.. it's like my civic si...tuned and modified it. You will feel the power. "i didn't change the group shimano 105... I think i don't need to change it. I just change some cheap parts.

Streetracer that's her Name well i call her StreetMaster... It's very sport type Road bike... I feel like i'm riding a bmx.. The frame
Is compact and very light. I like it very much... This Roadbike for me, one of the best design frame.

[Oct 16, 2011]
david58

Strength:

Appearance, Fit

Quality of anodizing on handlebars

From the start, a very sharp looker! Moving from a CX bike to a road bike was bound to be a change, but I sure like this change. Where my CX bike seemed to want to "go", this bike wants to "go fast." Very stiff frame, but with the carbon fork the ride feels very smooth. I am not bothered by the supposed harsh ride of Al bikes, so I might not be the best judge. Bought two of these - one for me and one for my wife. SHE LOVES HERS! So I am doubly happy.

The compact double is new to me, I like the increased range over my 36/46 on my CX bike. The 105 component set is exactly what I was looking for - I don't need a super light system, as I weigh about Cadel Evans + 50#, so Ultegra is a waste of extra money.

The wheels are not the top of the line, part of how this bike was so affordable. But again, I am not a 160# racer, so wheels that are a tad heavier are not problem as long as they stay true and roll smooth.

The in-house components save many of the dollars on the bike, which in the end is just fine. However, the anodizing on the handlebars is not very thick, and scratched easily when I assembled the bars into the stem.

The geometry is remarkably relaxed in the 60cm. Much more so than my CX bike. Flipping the stem made the bike even more of an "endurance bike" feeling geoometry, which is really where this overweight 50-year-old belongs. The comfort of the bike is such that I'm itching for a long ride next weekend after my Cross race, and I am confident in the bike performance and fit that even after a predictable DFL finish in my race I should be able to ride a few hours.

Fuji Cross Comp

[Sep 27, 2011]
hanise

Strength:

VERY GOOD

VERY GOOD

[Aug 06, 2011]
MWP

Strength:

Stiff for great power transfer
Climbs like a lighter, more expensive bike
Rock solid handling at speed
White frame with black wheels looks stunning!

Ride is a bit harsh on the coarse chip gravel roads popular around here

I know the years used / year model don't add up so here are two reviews for the price of one. I got the old SSX01 in 2006 (red/black with Crosslock frame). Excellent bike and I was very happy until 2009 I got a crack near the seat cluster. BMC replaced the frame with the then current SSX01 frame & fork (now relabelled SR02). I bought my new baby a set of Prolite Stelvio wheels to replace the old Mavic Aksiums, new seat and new Ultegra cranks to replace the original FSA which had worn rings. These modifications pulled nearly a kilo off the weight so it is now pretty light and fast.

So now to the review - this is still one of the best bikes I have ridden. It is light for an aluminium frame at this price point, superbly stiff and handles like a dream. The new frame is a little quicker steering than the old Crosslock design but is just as stable as ever on fast descents, very confidence inspiring. The old model's Easton carbon fork was pretty good but the new BMC Straightedge fork is even better for absorbing vibration & stiff handling.
I have just traded up to a Scott CR1 Pro after riding a few different models. This is a whole different class of bike but the old BMC still stacks up well against younger, more expensive rivals. (Stay tuned for the CR1 review when I have a few more miles on it.)

Giant TCR2