BMC Team Machine SLT 01 Road Bike

Team Machine SLT 01

• Frame: Carbon 700, Super High Module
  • Fork: Easton EC90 SL full Carbon CNT, 11D8"
  • Weight: 7.20 kg

• User Reviews (13)

Alan Mathews (uk)   Recreational Rider [Mar 31, 2014]
    Strength:

I am 65 years old, road racer at 16 to 22 and went on to total obscurity. I purchased this as a used package, Dura ace group set and FSA bars and carbon crank set, Bont 6.5 Aeolius wheels. I was spoiling myself and why not? it is probably the last bike I will buy. Amazing! I'll say it again AMAZING, I can see why it is sad that they no longer make them. The cost? a mere £1200.00 what ride, at my age it is probably worth about 2 or 3 mph easily! Oh, and climb? It does that so well, even makes me look accomplished, no wonder Evans won the Tour de France, it must have been worth 5 mph over the competition to him.

As stated, they do not make them any more, but that's ok, I have got one!

It is quick and it is in my case, good value, I hope it lasts me the rest of my cycling life. It is so easy to ride and so comfortable, you would assume that a genuine, high spec. road bike would be harsh, and that I should be looking at a sportive / touring machine, not the case at all, it looks good and is amazing. That is it, there is literally nothing else to say, a truly inspiring bike that makes you ride harder. If you see one and think, I might like that, YOU WILL

Similar Products Used: Lugless Claud Butler, Reynolds 53, with Campag Neuvo Record throughout was my first road bike, it was wonderful.
    various non-descript frames and kit after that and eventually a Reef carbon frame with Campag
    Scott   Recreational Rider [Oct 16, 2010]
    Strength:

Fast, stiff, and steady in the turns. Well-made and beautiful frame.

They don't make them anymore.

This is actually a 2009 SLT01, but my year model was not an option on this site. I just bought this frame and fork and built it up with a Sram Red group from my old bike. This bike is stiff and that's a good thing. It is heavier than my old bike and I thought that would make a difference on the climbs, but it actually climbs better. I think this is because of the extremely stiff bottom bracket. The bike also feels as though it is on a rail when going down hills. It spins up quickly and you can be comfortable and confident in a pace line. The frame is well-made and always gets attention. It is unexpectedly quiet. I thought the internal cable routing would cause noise but is does not. I love this bike.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Trek 1500 with 105 Group
    2005 Trek 2100 with Ultegra
    2007 Trek XO1
    2007 Cervelo R3 with Red Group
    Carl   Triathlete [Sep 14, 2009]
    Strength:

Speed, climbing, comfortable ride.

Stock Selle saddle is a little firm and thin.

Amazing bike. Light, fast, and comfortable. Bought it two weeks ago, took it out for a 25 mile shakedown ride, then rode 175 miles the next weekend. The bike feels like it would move by itself. Every bit of energy applied to the pedals is transformed into forward motion. Climbs like no one's business (I went from a triple crank to a full size 53/39 on the BMC and I climb faster and easier than before). Wheelset is smooth and fast. I have easily picked up 2 mph on my pace. Bike is extremely stable and predictable and, did I mention, FAST! Very unique and innovative styling. Gets lots of attention and I'm not riding the same bike everyone else is.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh Supercourse
    BMC Lover   Road Racer [Aug 24, 2009]
    Strength:

Looks, stiff, paint, engineering.
    55cm frame weight 1300 gms.
    Very strong and well built.
    Nice fork that absorbs lots vibration.
    Carbon bars really smooth this bike out.

Yes cable rattle on the top tube. i slipped a sheath of heat shrink over the length of the inner cable and fixed itn that way.

I am a bike nut and have owned many bikes. They are truely my weakness. Anyway the BMC SLT 01 is the most "alive" carbon bike you will ever own. I love the looks and no other bike I have ever owned gets the comments like the SLT.
    In the flesh its stunning!!
    Ride is stiff and alive. I have ridden harsher carbon bikes though BUT nothing stiffer. I am 85kg.
    So in conclusion a really nice bike that has "I am an individual" written all over it!

Similar Products Used: Nearly everything.
    jclugston   Recreational Rider [Jul 28, 2008]
    Strength:

Beautiful finish, eye catching, gets lots of comments and is strong.

Internal cabling sometimes rattles over rough roads, which can be a little disconcerting if you are not used to it. Buying new, it is quite expensive.

What a bike! This bike is so smooth and fast I can't wait for each weekend to roll around. It stays on line, climbs well and descends like an arrow. Although not the lightest bike in the world, it is so well balanced that it seems to move forward very easily.

Similar Products Used: This is only my second road bike - first was a Giant TCR 1 - aluminium, carbon forks so can't really compare it on similar grounds. I also can't knock the giant for a great all round entry level bike.
    camsand   Recreational Rider [Oct 07, 2007]
    Strength:

Smooth
    Super stiff
    Handlng
    Looks
    Uniqeness
    Build quality

Not as light as the lightest frames out there, but we are talking mere grams.

The BMC SLT 01 caught my eye is various mags etc and when I saw one at a shop I was very impresssed. Unfortunately I ended up buying a TCR CO, based on a really good deal with full Dura ace etc. I'd come from an Avanti Giro frame (Alloy/Carbon) with Open pros and 105, which was my first road bike. (Have been mountainbiking for 10+yrs). What a let down. The Giant was poor handling, flexy and uncomfortable for my body even after multiple fittings (I'm 5'9.). Fortuntely I spoke with Kaos, who built up the SLT with the giant part set, and now I really know what a good bike should be like. Given my mountainbiking I know what handles etc and this bike just nails it. The first thing I noticed was the stiffness. If you have a look at an SLT, the downtube is nearly as wide as the bottom bracket. What this results in is a frame that just transfers all power and is super solid. Equally on course roads (very common in Oz) it just dampens vibration. Bigger bumps are felt but the thing just tracks perfectly straight through them. It's interesting sitting on someone's wheel, and they hit a bump and you watch the whole thing shudder, whilst the SLT just rolls straight through (For the skiers out there it's like a great GS ski through crud). Up hill the stiffness means you're nice and efficent. Downhill it's super stable and just inspires confidence. It corners superbly, is smooth and suffers no wobbles whatsoever (unlike the TCR which was scary). This is one of those bikes that goes where it's pointed. You can take your hands off the bars, go round corners, pedal up hill etc all by just leaning. Not recommended, but a good measure of stability.
    A special mention should go for the Easton fork which is fabulous and super stiff. With this frame/fork combo my wheels actualy feel noticably stiffer and more acurate due to the frame/fork combined rigidity.
    The look. This is personal, but I love it, especially the harder edges etc. In todays trend of 'organic' flowing tubes and joints, the SLT stands out as a bit unique and the build quality is fabulous. Finally the $, well it's not cheap but in Oz is significantly cheaper than many of the well known euro brands. Overall I've a full bike with dura ace etc for approx $5K which is less than many.
    Fitting wise they come in 2cm increments and fairly traditional geomentry (slightly sloping top tube), so will fit most people. I note that some reviews said sizing is big but I've the 53cm with 550mm top tube. Normally I'd ride a 52-54, so this appears fairly normal.
    Overall a fabulous bike.
    Cheers.

Similar Products Used: Avanti Giro (local Aus/NZ brand)
    Giant TCR C0
    Time VXR
    Mike Haliday   Road Racer [Sep 18, 2007]
    Strength:

Climbs really well, looks kind of cool (well, it grows on you), starts conversations, gets me up hill better than someone of my fitness level has a right to climb. Handles well, descending is cool, just leaves everyone else for dead.

Cables can make noise inside the frame over our terrible roads. All my cycling gear clashes with the Phonak colours... How cool would it look with glossy black with candy tangerine flames on it...

Had this frame kicking around for a while, looked kind of uncool, so put off building it. Had Record on it, but I wanted a training bike that I wouldn't feel guilty riding in the rain, so I put 10 speed Dura Ace on it. Totally exceeds my expectations, light, fast, stiff, comfortable. Holds a line well, even when bumpy. Climbs very well. I have several other bikes, but this one has lived in the living room for months now, and it's always the one I pick to ride or to take away with me.

I bought it in the EPO colours (Phonak), wanted to make a statement about drug cheats not affecting my love of my sport.

Similar Products Used: Own Merlin (record), Caad8 R5000 (record), Cinelli Aliante (Chorus), Scott Plasma (DA10). Think I'm going to swap the DA 10 for Record...
    Rob Spiller   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2007]
    Strength:

Stability, Speed, Stiffness, Weight, Looks. Love the naked black finish and internal cable routing

You can’t sneak around any more because the finish and unique construction warrant comments from everyone.

This bike is light, and monster fast. The carbon absorbs numbing vibrations nicely but doesn't mute out all of the bumps. The frame construction and design is incredible and is as solid as a rock. I am 6’0” and weigh in at 190 lbs and ride hard. The original bike came with DTSwiss 240’s which proved too light and I tore them up, but I can’t flex the BB. I replaced the wheels with Ksyrium Elites that are a little more appropriate for my build and riding style. The added weight is minimal, but the bike is already so light it seems to float.
    The handling is rock solid, too. Pick a line and the bike stays on it and never waivers. Uphill, the tracking is consistent and power transfer is efficient and steady. As for acceleration – just mash on the pedals and the bike seems to leap forward.

Similar Products Used: GT 4000, Trek 2300, Klein
    jetrenkel   Road Racer [Apr 12, 2007]
    Strength:

Speed, stiffness, weight, looks.

Makes a rider more visible because they will be riding at the front of the peloton.

I can't stop looking at it.

OMFG This is the bike of my dreams. It is light, comfy, stiff, and extremely fast. The carbon absorbs numbing vibrations nicely but the lugs keep everything really stiff and quick. The road doesn't feel muted like with other full carbon bikes I've demoed. The build quality is incredible making for a frame that is a work of art. At 6'5" and 210 I can flex most anything, but this bike always feels "real". It is ridiculously light and I always smile when I lift it. My bike built up with Dura-Ace, Easton, and Fulcrum racing wheels weighs in at a barely legal 15.5 lbs. It's the ideal bike to help you pick up chicks.