Calfee Design Tetra Pro Road Bike

Calfee Design Tetra Pro Road Bike

Tetra Pro Our highest quality road racing frame made with high modulus filament wound tubes and gusseted laminated joints. 25 year warranty. 54 cm frame weighs 2.5 lbs.

[May 10, 2010]
Vic Damone

Strength:

Made in California

California sales tax to California residents.

Since my Tetra-Pro purchase carbon has come into its own and is now offered by most of the main marks. Construction techniques, materials, and country of origin vary dramatically offering the buyer a large selection of characteristics, purpose, weight, and style. In 2003 choosing a carbon frame was limited as many of these marks were experiencing design failure in both materials and ride characteristics. By this time the Calfee design was matured and race proven. Having ridden many, but no were near all the carbon offerings produced today, the Calfee has not been bettered in the combination of comfort and acceleration snap. There are other frames that can better the Calfee in these two areas individually but not together. Wheel design is easily distinguishable and is a key element in both of these areas. Much has been written about Calfee frames but what sparks this review so late in my ownership is the addition of Calfee's Bar / Stem. Within the first few meters of riding you realize you've been riding a hybrid using an aluminum bar nad stem. The Calfee Bar / Stem offer an obvious mechanical comfort and an amazing relationship between your hands and the bicycle. Cable routing and the shape of the horizontal portion of the bar are excellent. The bicycles ride now has a sense of oneness or a total system feel that the aluminum components simply cut off. Calfee offers a wide variety of off the shelf rises and lengths and widths as well as custom dimension and paint options. I'm sure opinions will vary but for me It feels like I have a new bike. Highly recommended!

[Oct 31, 2005]
tradesmith45

Strength:

Ultra light, ultra versatile, excellent handling, rock solid, comfy ride.

Weighed a little more than I expected. I’m dreading the first scratch in the beautiful fade paint job. It took some modification to the pump handle to get a full size Blackburn CF pump to fit within the left seat stay. This is the only possible location for a full size pump I can see. Expensive

This is a review of a Calfee Tetra-Pro with S&S Couplers. I bought this bike to travel to challenging multi-day supported rides like the BTC or GABA and club riding at home. With Ti S&S couplers, Campy Record 10 drive train, levers & brakes, FSA Team Carbon triple cranks, K-wing bars, FSA Ti BB, Specialized Pave seat post, SLK Gel saddle, Rolf Élan wheels, Michelin Carbon Pro tires, Speed-play stainless spindle pedals, and paint this bike weighs 16.8 lbs. All the extra materials needed to secure the S&S couplers into the carbon tubes plus the couplers adds about 8-9 oz. to the bike. Still, this is probably the lightest coupled bike you can find. All the steel & Ti frames w/ couplers I considered weigh 0.75 to 1.0 lbs. more. If you are going to do lots of travel, an unpainted Ti frame may be a better choice with a little sacrifice in weight. My previous ride was an old Vitus Carbon-3 with 28 & 32 spoke wheels and a mix of Campy & Shimano components. It was sub-20 lbs. It was a good climber but a squirrelly descender. The Calfee is an even better climber. The very light Rolf wheels give the bike a really light feel in descents and it has taken me awhile to realize the bike is anything but squirrelly – it will go exactly where it is pointed in turns and is rock solid. Of course the frame is plenty stiff enough for me at 150 lbs and does the usual job soaking up rough pavement – though not as well as the old Vitus.

Vitus Carbon 3

[Aug 09, 2005]
rfoster

Strength:

Stiff and smooth ride. Feels good from the start. Accelerates great. Definitely and upgrade from my Colnago CT1

None so far.

Bought new never built up from Roadbikereview classfied ad. Bike is a beautiful Dark green with Black decals. Color changes in different lights to deep purple blue. Great ride light and stiff with a FSA carbon crank.

Merlin, Airborne Zepplin, Colnago CT1, EPX Nullarbor.

[Dec 14, 2003]
jay small

Strength:

Tremendous acceleration and a great climber. Wonderful finish and attention to detail. The ride is particularly smooth, and little vibration is transmitted through the frame to the rider. The bike is a great cornering machine especially when riding from the drop position. Every other rider looks at it and admires it.

A little twitchy in high speed descents, i.e., 40 plus mph.

Tetra Pro with cobalt blue clear coat, and full Dura-Ace components. Mavic Kysrium SSC's and Fizik Arione saddle.

Giant TCR

[Mar 26, 2003]
fbastos

Strength:

Lightweight, stiff, great craftmanship

very high quality frame. I have been sponsored by many other frame builders, and the Tetra pro is by far the highest quality frame I have ridden so far. It is light, yet stiff, and very responsive. It also looks fantastic!!!

[Jan 04, 2003]
Back Slider

Strength:

Carbon, Carbon, Carbon!

You don't get the ooh and ahh's like a classic steel bike will get.

Still loving my Tetra-Pro. Carbon is really a space age material, Craig sure knows how to make it work. Hope he never let's anyone else manfacture his frames overseas like so many others in the industry.

steel, aluminum

[Sep 27, 2002]
zzzzdoc

Strength:

Weight -- scary light, impresses everyone who picks it up, road vibration dampening, handling, climbing, street appeal.

Have to watch it like a hawk. Causes whiplash on riders you pass.

I can't say enough great things about this bike. It's scary light, stiff enough to sprint like crazy, predictable handling, climbs like a dream, sexy paint jobs. Calfee custom designed my bike to exactly my desired configuration -- pretty amazing for carbon bikes. They also allowed me custom paint design, which made the bike a jaw dropper whenever I ride in groups. The bike has enough of a lively feeling that I know that the road is there, but I can ride long distances without any road fatigue. It's also easily 2mph faster than my Litespeed Ultimate. Craig Calfee and his staff personally answer e-mails and phone calls, so you can get solid information right from the source. They aren't cheap, but are tremendous values. Truly a bike to last a lifetime.

Serotta Ottrott, Litespeed Ultimate, Serotta Colorado, Serotta Legend Ti, Kestrel 300 EMS, Litespeed Vortex, Trek 5900 USPS

[Sep 15, 2002]
Pedaler Pedro

Strength:

Weight - Though in worse shape this year (vs. last), my pace is 1-1.5 mph faster. Feel - The road comes through, but doesn't punish me. Tracking - My eyes track "the" line into a curve and the bike simply follows. Cool.

Can't insert minipump bracket into waterbottle mounts because thin carbon tubing requires atypical WB mounts (male instead of female). This is a VERY minor weakness!

After 30+ years of riding steel (including a custom 531 frame for the last 24), it was time to try something new. Alum was out. Ti was felt too similar to steel. So with the technical improvements in carbon, I decide to go non-metal. My LBS (Alan's) sells only Ti at the high end, save Calfee - the only carbon frame he will sell you. After doing my homework (check out the Technical White Paper on Calfee's webesite) and test rides, I went with Calfee's Tetra Pro (25 year mfr warranty!) even though they are exceedingly uncommon on the East Coast. Mine was customized with a 1.25" headtube and headtube extension, though otherwise not in frame geometry. Through the 8 months that I've had it, it's been a dream. My hands and tail are no where near as beat up after long rides. I take downhill curves faster than before because the bike tracks where I want it too (my old one tended to understeer - scary). My pace has improved (1-1.5 mph) this year vs. last even though I'm spending less time in the saddle (work demands). And the blue/black fade with heavy clearcoating is gorgeous. I've ridden without worry in heavy showers this summer - nothing to rust! No problems thus far. Lastly, I had the chance to visit the Calfee "factory" in Santa Cruz, CA several months after I took delivery. Stella (customer relations) kindly gave me a tour of the place and I met Craig Calfee who was prowling the workshop floor testing new designs. I saw the whole process from naked tubes to pre-delivery inspection. It was great to see the actual people who put my frame together. They are a small tight group who seem genuinely focused on quality builds. Finally, I was even given a little Calfee memento for my visit. Next step is to convince my wife to start riding so I can get a Calfee tandem.

Seven Axiom, Trek 5200, Moots VaMoots - all test rides while I was shopping.

[Jul 22, 2002]
Hawaii biker

Strength:

Smooth, strong, stiff very comfortable. Not a "mass-market" product rather a handmade bike built by real craftsmen. Craig Calfee will even answer personal email questions. The Tetra Tri is a supurb Tri Bike and I am saving for a Tetra Pro roadbike!

Great as a single use machine, but if on a twisty mountain road I would rather have Road geometry.

A high quality, smooth rocket even on the windy, rough roads of Honolulu. The Tetra Tri is super stiff even for us big guys (6'2" 210lbs.) and very comfortable even at Ironman distances (112 miles). With Tri geometry,aero seat position and a long wheelbase this bike is well suited to hammer out timetrials.

Trek 5200, Cervelo P2k.

[Jul 02, 2002]
jfkbike2

Strength:

Ride, custom sizes available

I recommend Calfees to anyone. I love the ride. It is stiff but comfortable. Mine is a custom (how many carbon frames can you get customized?) and fits me great. It is light but not stupid light. The thing I like best is how it absorbs road shock but still accelerates like crazy. great bike.

Seven Ti, Lightspeed Vortex