Cannondale CAAD10 Road Bike

Cannondale CAAD10 Road Bike

Performance to the Power of X. The new CAAD10 is the world's most advanced aluminum road frame. At just 1150 grams for a 56 cm frame, the CAAD10 is lighter, stiffer and smoother than most of our competitors' elite carbon frames. 1)SUPERLIGHT CAAD10 FORK. Housed in our externally machined, tapered head tube, the 390 gram, 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" tapered carbon steerer fork features offset dropouts, allowing more fork angle for vertical compliance without affecting the razor-sharp handling. 2) SAVE REAR STAYS: Comfort meets acceleration. Rear stays are shaped and butted to allow them to flex vertically but stay extremely stiff laterally. Wide seat stay spacing at top tube junction also improves lateral stiffness. 3) OPTIMIZED TOP TUBE For maximum torsional rigidity, the massive, horizontally ovalized top tube measures a huge 47.5x42 mm where it meets the head tube, narrows through the middle for knee clearance, then widens again to meet the seat stays.

[Dec 02, 2016]
terbennett

Strength:

Corners like it's on rails and accelerates like a bat out of hell and is really comfortable. I also have a 2014 Cannondale Hi-Mod Evo and I can't tell the difference.

Original Mavic Yksions wore out fast and rear brake cable has internal routing that sucks. I have already replaced it ones do to the poor design of the hole going into the frame. Now I have to do it again. Pre-2014 CAADs don't have the internal routed cable so they won't have the issue.

Cannondale did their homework when they designed this one. It's everything the magazine reviewers tell you. Amazing bike. I have had it 21 months (and 12,000 miles) with no issues. I kinda cringed at having BB30 after hearing the horror stories about creaking. It was lighter than Dura Ace crank so I took a chance. Surprisingly, I haven't had one issue with it yet, despite doing nine crit races this past season on it and several centuries. I ride this more than I ride my Hi-Mod
Evo. I also have a Felt F1 and I love the CAAD more. I don't know about lower spec CAADs but this one has been a dream to ride. It will assembled very well. Previous reviewer complained about ride comfort.

FYI, the 105 is a screaming deal. The issue is that it was budget spec'd. You're talking about a $1500-1600 bike with a $1,000 frameset. 105 is awesome and they put 105 where it mattered most. Many manufacturers go this route to save money Don't like BB30? Buy a Praxxis adapter and run Shimano crankset. The one on your CAAD10 105 is lighter. Want better brakes? Swap out your pads for some Kool Stops. You'll have braking that is better than 105 brakes. Ride quality? It's not the frame. It's the wheels and tires. Upgrade the wheels. Out of your budget? Buy a set of Ksyrium SLs and use some quality tires. I've seen used sets of Ksyrium SLs on Craigslist in really good condition for $300-350 and they are sub 1500 grams. Want new? Try Neugentcycling or Boyd wheels for a high quality set of wheels that won't break the bank. never used Boyds but many riders swear by them. I have used wheels from John Neugent and they were great, plus his customer service is second to none. Still not convinced your CAAD is a great bike? Pro rider,Cameron Wurf, actually told me that I should buy the CAAD10 105. He said it was the best value in race bikes out there and it can hold. He didn't know that I had just purchased my Dura Ace equipped CAAD 10

Felt F1, Felt F75, Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod

[Nov 08, 2016]
Adam

Strength:

Higher level components and wheel than comparable options.

The Cannondale frame warranty is a myth.

I enjoyed my Canondale CAAD10 for 4 years, but after recently discovering a dent in the seat stay I went through a dealer to investigate the Cannondale Lifetime Frame Warranty. As it turns out, though, Cannondale must view their frames to have a 4 year lifespan because they denied my claim citing the bike's age, that "seat stays don't bend themselves," and that if it had been a frame defect it would have been caught by the production team or the bike shop.

So, consider your MSRP $3000+ purchase as a disposable bike. If you have that kind of cash, go for it. I sure don't...

[Jul 29, 2016]
james

Strength:

Yep, it is light and stiff. It corners very well. Shimano 105 performs awesome. The LBS cannondale dealers must have the patience of saints.

The Shimano RS11 wheels are basically $150 specials, the Prologo saddle is junk unless you like sitting on cinderblock. There is nothing about the re-working of the tube set to be less bone-jarring than every other alloy POS, so don't fall for that one. The tires are done in 6 weeks, total crap. The absolute worst thing about this bike is BB30. Cannondale ought to be ashamed of themselves for that. My Caad 10is about 15 months old and I am on my 4th BB. You may get 6-8 good weeks until the ticking begins. For the kind of $$ you will spend on this you can get something with a nice carbon post at least. Also Cannondale is too cheap to even give 105 brakes, aftermarket crap instead. And all because of BB30 you cant get it with Shimano's wonderful crankset. I wish I had gotten a Giant. This is at least my 4th Cannondale, I have never been this disappointed in a bike in the many years I have been riding, 30 years or so. After going to my dealer a few times I tried calling the company. The rep directs you right back to the dealer. Nope, your pretty much on your own

There are plenty of great bikes out there, and for what you will pay for a CAAD10 105, you can get so much more. In any case, if your prospective new bike is BB30 equipped, look elsewhere. Otherwise you will need to service your BB every time you wash your bike or get caught in the rain. It will be a constant problem all through the life of your bike. Cannondale is not the company it once was either.

[Feb 17, 2016]
Matthew

Strength:

Affordability is excellent and fantastic quality. Best bang for the buck.

Only I can think of is Stock tire's and possibly wheels. (although rs11's make a great training wheel, save your nicer wheels for racing).

Sweet and simple, feels good to routinely beat other riders who are using 4-8k dollar bikes in races on my alloy bike and alloy wheelset. Great frame to upgrade the components on.

[May 16, 2015]
John

Strength:

Durability, Stiffness, Finish, Performance, Cornering, Build

Little Pricey, BB30 Noise

I am a Cat 3 from the mid-Atlantic region and log about 10,000 miles annually on my bike. I chose the CAAD10 as my racing and training bike because of Cannondale's legendarily race oriented geometry, low weight, and overall component package. Let me say this is a great buy because you get all that and more. First, nothing beats a CAAD for racing crits and road races and Cannondale's have a reputation for being the lightest bikes out there so no excuses on the climbs either. Second with this bike is that the Ultegra version has top notch race-able components that won't break the bank. But the most important aspect of buying a Cannondale, Trek, or Specialized the durability of the bike, which you notice after 15,000 miles or so. I had an off brand road bike a year ago that after 18,000 miles, cracked at the bottom bracket shell. I'd venture to say this is much the same with all the other off brand names as well. With the name brands, you don't have that problem, or at least I never have. My last CAAD7 bike I had approximately 20,000 miles on without a problem and I know guys with CAADs that have had 70,000 miles and no structural issues. So bottom line go with Cannondale and you won't regret it.

[Aug 04, 2014]
dave

Strength:

I liked this bike from the second I tried it. Best feature: brilliant cornering. I don't really have the power to
get any advantage from the frame stiffness, but it corners like it's on rails. Rides no hands very nicely.
The bar tape sucked and so did the saddle. Have your bikeshop show you how to take apart the bottom bracket and clean it; you will be doing that alot.

All in all, the best thing I have ever bought. I really enjoy it and am very proud of it.

few. It sucked when I read the warranty: Cannondale will not stand behind fatigue failure yet boasts about all the fatigue testing they have done. Poor show.

good bike, great price.

[Feb 10, 2014]
Andrew

Strength:

Frame stiffness, full SRAM Force spec, overall weight

Stock saddle, no stock carbon seat post, stock cables & housing, paint scheme (subjective)

PROS: The frame has extremely efficient power transfer and is remarkably light for any racing frame, let alone aluminum. the 2013 CAAD 10 2 comes with a full SRAM Force spec which, in my opinion, is the best road groupset when taking into account price and performance. The bike stock is extremely light for the price (around 16 lbs w/o pedals)

CONS: The stock Prologo saddle did not work well with me. It would have been a nice and inexpensive touch for Cannondale to include a carbon seatpost, especially because the bike is aluminum. The stock cables and housing are pretty awful and have a lot of friction. I also did not really like either of the paint schemes, but that is more of a subjective opinion than a fact. Also, compared to my previous carbon bike the ride quality is noticeably rougher, but that is just an inherent property of aluminum.

OVERALL: The CAAD 10 is an excellent bike for a performance-conscious enthusiast, all the way up to a mid level racer. Around this 2000-3000 price point, it is impossible to find a carbon bike that will outperform this frame in any way besides ride quality.

GT GTR Carbon Elite, Trek Domane 4.5

[Dec 01, 2013]
Whizzer283

Strength:

The CAAD 10 5 is my first road bike and I'm very happy with my purchase. It was an upgrade from a mountain/hybrid bike that I used for 25-40 mi weekend rides. Now I do 50-75 mi weekend rides, and a lot more comfortably. At first with the handlebars at max height the bike isn't very aggressive, but as you grow more comfortable with the posture you can lower them and the bike grows more aggressive.

Maybe the best feature is that I have no envy of the much pricier bikes that I see on the road. Zero buyer's remorse.

Despite the freakish man crush I have for this ride, I can discern a number of weaknesses.
1. Pro Logo Evo saddle - Uncomfortable - Remedied with Specialized Romin Comp
2. Schwalbe Lugano 700x23 tires - Harsh ride, slow ride - Remedied with Continental Grand Prix 4 Season, 700x25
3. Tektro 560 - Mediocre braking performance - Remedied with Shimano 105
*4. BB30 Bottom Bracket / FSA Gossamer Crankset - Creaky bottom bracket - Remedied with C- Bear Shim and Shimano 105 Crankset.

*I never had a bottom bracket problem until I replaced** my CAAD 10 frame with a substitute CAAD 10 frame purchased used on eBay. The original factory assembled bike had no issue.

**I had to replace the frame after t-boning a car at relatively low speed. Neither I nor the wheel suffered any injuries, but for the frame it was catastrophic.

Great first road bike. Great for long rides. Why buy an entry level carbon frame when you can have the top-of-the-line aluminum frame?

[Nov 29, 2013]
MikeP

Strength:

Handling, value for money, power transfer and fun to ride above all else

To get the best out of the frame, a few upgrades are required from the 105 spec -tyres first, wheels second and a stiffer stem if you are strong/heavier and stand up climbing a lot.

Having had two Caad8s and been please with them, I decided to see what all the fuss was about regarding the 10. Bought a 105 spec with the intention of being my summer ride, while my caad8 became my winter training hack. The problem now is that I ONLY want to ride the Caad10 and even with the thought of selling both for a Supersix Evo, I ended up keeping the '10 and putting some decent wheels on it. I don't race but 50-70 miles are my normal ride routine and I couldn't face selling the Caad10 with the risk of missing everything it does so well. So all the reviews from owners are correct and confirmed to me why I bought it in the first place, why I should keep it and that I should just enjoy it and keep getting fitter.....

Caad8 105, caad8 2300, trek 2.1, Wilier Motirolo

[Aug 26, 2013]
isaacxchavez

Strength:

The excellent frame, the frame is very light weight and extremely stiff.

There is none that i have found.

It's so much better than my previous madone 4.5 my final choices were this bike and a Scott, I heard that scotts are very stuff, but they aren't they fell like frame made of rubber, awful power transfer, this is by far the best bike that I have owned.