Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo 1 Road Bike

• Bottom Bracket: TruVatiV Giga X Pipe
  • Shifters: Shimano 105
  • Stem: Cannondale C4

Steve Harper   Recreational Rider [Jan 24, 2012]
Strength:

Light, stiff, stable, beautifully balanced. Not flashy, just fast – and not expensive for this level of quality

People on carbon frames will look down their noses - let them

I’ve been moved to write a review because I’ve loved this bike ever since I got it. I’ve ridden numerous sportives in the Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees… I’ve even taken it round the Tour of Flanders, across the cobbles, twice (so the ride’s not as harsh as some people say) – and it’s been incredible. But like all cyclists, I started to wonder if I shouldn’t upgrade. So I’ve been testing loads of carbon bikes; a Wilier, which tuned out to weigh a pound more and had a dead feeling in the ride, a Ribble Nero (actually quite nice but certainly not better), brand-x carbon from Taiwan (also turned out to be heavier) and several others, including a Trek Madone 5.9 – and I can honestly say, I wouldn’t swap for any of them.
My bike came with Ultegra – which has been flawless – Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels (since upgraded to Felt Aeros), Fizik Arione saddle (perfect). The only think I might upgrade now are the forks and headset, which are not as light or as good as the ones on the CAAD10 – but even that’s more to satisfy the cyclist’s mania for upgrades not because it actually needs it.
This is a blindingly fast bike that out-climbs, out-accelerates and corners better than anything else I’ve tried and pretty much anything I’ve come across on the road. Got to be the cheapest way to experience that elite bike feeling. If I’m slow, it me, not the bike.

Similar Products Used: My winter bike is a CAAD2 105 road bike. Totally bullet-proof
Fro Low   Recreational Rider [Jun 09, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, light, corners great, and transfers all the power you put in.

Hmmm, can't really think of one. Ok, could use a new paint job.

This bike is quite amazing. Very stiff and strong. Gets up to speed very quickly and can hold it's own with today's CF bikes. Climbs flawlessly and is stable at 30+ mph. Bought this bike from an avid cycling co-worker and he couldn't have been more right about the bike and it's handling.

Similar Products Used: None
brokenhead007   Triathlete [Dec 02, 2010]
Strength:

stiff, great geometry for the inseam challenged, very tough

a bit heavy, the original headset was the suckies.

I bought this 06 Cannondale Caad8 new in 06 and have yet to find a better frame. I used this bike religiously as a trainer and group rider for three years through rain and shine. It corners, accelerates and climbs better than any of the Bianchi, Trek, Specialized and Cinelli bikes I have owned. If I were a Crit racer it would never leave my butt. I even considered reconfiguring it for Triathlons or TT but the geometry just isn't there for that. I figure about 22K miles on this frame and I have no plans on letting it go.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Tarmac and Allez, Bianchi Virata and 928 Carbon L, Trek 2000, Cinelli Estrada
Red Wolf   Recreational Rider [Aug 05, 2009]
Strength:

responsive, durable, stable, just as fast as carbon, climbs well, stiff BB.

a little harsher ride than some Carbon frames, stock shimano 550 wheelset is a realatively heavy semi-aero set which is great for training and reliable but something you may want to upgrade eventually.

My first Road bike in a long time. Looked at Carbon frames but didn't have the money at the time. Tested this vs. a Synapse...could feel the flex in the frame of the Synapse when standing on the pedal and climbing, but not in the CAAD8. The Synapse was a smoother ride but felt mushy compared to the CAAD8. Like others have said it climbs really well and descends great too (I've been up to 46mph downhill with no concerns). Bike corners well too. I feel safe and fast. I can keep up with or beat most of the guys on high-end carbon frames. One other guy I met who has a CAAD8 said "the CAAD8 is all the frame you'll ever need but not all the frame you'll ever want". The CAAD8 may not be the coolest ride but its just as fast. Same geometry as the SuperSix and only about 3/4 of lb. heavier...or so I've been told.

Similar Products Used: Old Schwinn LeTour...years ago...no comparison
Brian   Road Racer [Jun 30, 2009]
Strength:

Price,Power Transfer,Alluminum Frame,Every comp.on this Bike Is Ultegra right down to the chain links.

Havent Found One yet.

Sweet Bike,Full Ultegra Comp.Cannondale Are the Alluminum Frame Masters.Dont be fooled by the Higher Priced Carbon Bikes that claim a better ride.Thanks Cannondale!

Similar Products Used: Trek 1200
dwb2016   Triathlete [Apr 26, 2009]
Strength:

Great value, incredibly lightweight, ultra stiff, seems indestructible

Not carbon (is that a weakness?)

Frame is rock solid, i haven't been the most caring owner and she puts up with everything I can handle. Bike was originally wearing some crap Shimano wheels which I swapped out for Easton Circuits, recently added an ultegra crank. This frame is an unbelievable value, acceleration and handling is incredible from the moment you step on, this thing really flies with the right rider. I'm 180lbs, fork is slice aero carbon which helps dampen the ride slightly but it's still pretty jaring, I'm used to it now but something to consider. I am thinking of a proper tri bike at some point for racing but this is the girl for me right now, at my weight and on the mean NYC streets there's no way I could train on a more delicate bike.

Todd Alt   Recreational Rider [Mar 12, 2009]
Strength:

Fast, stiff BB, corners like a dream. Looks like a no frills weapon. The SL's bladed spokes match the frame.

None yet.

I own several road bikes and have raced in the past and have been a rider for years. I bought this Caad8 on ebay to be used as a trainer in the winter so as to protect my better bikes. The frame looks new and it came equipped with 9 sp 105 components and Ultegra derailer. I decided to to go 10 speed and went all Ultegra - just a trainer. I put my favorite type saddle the Fizik Aliante seat on it and decided it was ready to go. Oh yes, it came with some Shimano wheels so I threw a set of Cane Creeks on. I took it out as the weather improved just to see how it would fare as a Winter bike. This bike is stiff and fast to an amazing degree and corners in a super positive manner. I now have carbon flat bars and Ksyrium SLs on it. My wife commented that it looks like it means business without being flashy. It deserves even better upgrades. Now I am worried that when I bring out my Bianchi 928 with all it's high dollar components, I will be wanting to go back and get out the Cannondale. Bottom line is the Caad 8 is truly an awesome ride.

Similar Products Used: This is my first Aluminum frame.
tas236   Road Racer [Jun 24, 2008]
Strength:

+$ Value
+weight
+stiffness

-geometry is a little awkward (and fits one size smaller than you are used to)
-headset is a PITA

Bought this frame to use as my crit/RR bike. It is light (for AL), stiff, and responsive. And for the price of the frame you can't go wrong. I'm a little bigger/heavier than your avg racer so I'm still a little sketchy on going full carbon. I've actually had to adjust my sprinting style because I was bringing both the front and rear wheels off the ground during sprints. It's that stiff!

Similar Products Used: Giant OCR, Specialized Allez, Specialized Transition
Jeff Stroop   Recreational Rider [Jun 21, 2008]
Strength:

power transfer whenever I want it. Great balance.

dunno yet...

Just bought this bike, my second road bike. I had a Team Fuji 15 years ago for training for soccer and I thought that bike was nice. The Caad8 is stiff and the power transfer is sweetest I've ever felt. I raced xcross on my DBR Axis TT, which I still have and will never part from and gives me everthing I want from it. The Caad8 gives me everything I'd expect from Cann. and then some. I've only put 50 miles on it and have yet to find any issues with the fork or the stock rims. I great bike for the $$$.