Cannondale CAAD9 5 Road Bike

• Crank: Shimano 105, 39/53
  • Chain: KMC DX10SC

[Aug 25, 2011]
tt00sf

Strength:

Solid frame, so impressed. Rides as well as my friend's carbon frames. The value is unbeatable. I have the 105 group and it is like a camry, nothing to rave about but very reliable.

However, if you plan to ride more than 2000 miles a year, be prepared to upgrade:

-RS10 wheels are like a fast tank. solid but i think they are made of iron. stock tires are similar, reliable but not particularly grippy or fast.
-tektro brakes need lots more power on the downhill, think about a camry's brakes...will probably suffice for most in this bike's target segment.
-faux carbon seat post is a joke, functional, but c'mon. Think A+ frame.

Great bike overall. Cheap components allow for a great value for this A+ frame. I got back into cycling after 10 years away and ride about 50 miles a week on big climbs and fast descents. This bike gave me a nice platform to improve my skills with and upgrade the bike to match.

[Mar 28, 2011]
Brandon

Strength:

Handmade in USA - this is already a highly sought after frame. Light enough to fly up hills and steady enough to tear up descents! Prologo saddle is surprisingly nice for stock. The bike is screaming as far as looks go too!

Heavy RS-10 wheels. Gossamer crankset can be a little noisy and doesn't exactly have a sparkling reputation. Trash the stock tires. The Tektro brakes don't have much stopping power with the stock pads.

Unbeatable bike for the price. Actually forget the price - this bike is hard to beat period. The aesthetics of the CAAD9 frame blows the looks of the CAAD10 completely away in my opinion. The welds are filled seamlessly and at first glance, it looks like a composite frame. The wishbone shape of the stays provides a softer ride than any aluminum frame I've ridden but the frame is much stiffer with better pickup than any of my previous bikes. Having previously been on a full carbon setup, I feared the aluminum would be harsh, but I honestly don't feel any more road vibration with the CAAD aluminum. The bike climbs, corners and accelerates like nothing I've experienced - it gives you that "giddy little kid" feel when you throw your leg over and clip in. This is one that I'll have in my quiver for a long time to come! The frame is impressively light and has a proven race pedigree - though it came with 105, I'm thinking about turning this into a "weight weenie" project with Force or Red and some Rol wheels...oh the joys!

2007 Felt F-75. 2006 Giant TCR C3.

[Dec 30, 2010]
kwyyyy

Strength:

Frame, quality of bike for money spent

Wheels a little heavy, but they hold up very well

I have ridden and owned carbon bikes for the last 10 years, and decided to try this bike because of what I heard on the street and fellow roadie friends. I bought the bike stock with 105's. I switched out some components to get the ride I wanted - stem, handlebar, seatpost, saddle. The frame is really well made, it does not beat you up on long rides, the quality is great and it's true that it's just as comfortable as a carbon bike. The frame and components handle well in cornering, downhill, uphill, or paceline. The wheels will take a beating and keep going. 105's do well and the 2010 model is exceptional. This said, remember that DA is King but also keep in mind that it's the technique you use to handle the bike, not the actual equipment. I have had no problems with the brakes - they do what they are supposed to do. It's worth the money, if you don't like the components, just get the frame and build the bike up your specs.

Trek Madone, Felt, Fuji

[Apr 29, 2010]
weisse521

Strength:

It's the frame. PERIOD

The brakes are crap to the point of being scary on some of the steep roads in Utah.

Decided to buy another Cannondale while I could still get one made in America. I have ridden Cannondale's since at least the early 80's. From the touring models to the mountain bikes.
For a big guy, they have a lot to offer. I have several Landshark steel frames and just wanted a "beater" to ride in bad weather. This frame is better than any other ALU frame I have ever ridden, and almost as comfortable as my high-end steel frames.
I bought this bike manly for the frame. The CAAD9 has a long history of racing and worth upgrading.

Klein, Cannondale, Trek, Landshark, Univega

[Apr 19, 2010]
10beers

Strength:

Everything.

Grip tape came loose during first few months of riding. Squeaks when really dirt (my own fault as I ride hard and put away dirty).

Actually is a 2009. I freaking love it. Rides great compared to my last bike a Trek 1000C comfort/road bike. I compared it with Trek 2.1/ 2.3, Specialized Allez elite,and KHS Flite. Closest in comparison was KHS Flite which was a very nice bike would have bought it except I didn't like how my leg rubbed the metal brake cable piece from end of housing to the actual brake.
Very comfortable ride. Decent on rough pavement and gravel. Many will say this thing carves, but I was unable to take a swooping 90 degree turn at 20Mph, but oh well Im fat. I've had minor issues with cable tension, and some rattle/ rubbing issues. Nothing a little derailer adjustment and a good cleaning could't fix.

Trek 1000C

[Jul 09, 2009]
RoboChrist

Strength:

Beautiful white paint scheme, well designed compliant frame, seatstays afford vertical road damping qualities, very stiff chainstays give stiffness resulting in excellent power transfer. Peppy and maneuverable.

Crappy Tektro brakes

Wonderful first bike.

[Jun 23, 2009]
craigoria

Strength:

fast & handles well

Legs and stamina, (on my part) that is starting to change, every day on this bike.

I have been riding an old 83 steel frame mt Fuji, and have switched out the tire to road tire, seat, and kept denying my envy of road bikes, after a group ride to Muir Woods, I was convinced there had to be a better way.
After looking at a couple shops, I saw a Black Caad 9 5, that had just been put together, and knew that was the bike.

This bike is awsome, fits good, and is fast and carves into turns like nobody's business.

First Road Bike

[Apr 03, 2009]
Eric Peters

Strength:

Uhh, everything you want in a bike if you like to ride fast. Stiff, light, not overly harsh, great handling.

Nobody's perfect, and if I had one criticism, it'd be the toe/ ft. wheel overlap. And the only time it's a problem is really when I'm trying to balance at a stop light, other than that I don't notice. I wouldn't want Cannondale to change the geometry to fix this.

2009 Cannondale Caad 9. This bike surpassed all my expectation. I thought it was going to be too stiff and a bit on the harsh side, not even close. Up till now, I'd been riding a 2003 Trek Madone. The Cannondale rides very similar, but stiffer and faster. Road vibration has not been a problem and I've had it on some really rough road. The weight is very similar to the Trek. I transferred parts from the Madone to the Trek so the build is the same, Madone weighed 16.1, Cannondale weighs 16.1 (and can get lighter because it has BB30!). The paint is sweet. Handling is perfect. I like to say this bike doesn't turn, it carves.

Trek Madone, Specialized Allez, Giant TCR

[Oct 02, 2008]
mgmahermg

Strength:

- Stiff and efficient ride
- Great handling
- Relatively lightweight for an all-Al bike
- Compliant enough for me
- Lifetime warranty
- Great local dealer

- Clear coat had some defects from the factory
- Bike will dent easily if dropped

My bike is actually an '08 but I didn't see that option in the drop-down menu. I purchased this bike in June '08 after having been away from road cycling for nearly 20 years. I'd always had a soft spot for C'dales, and this bike seemed like a really good value. Since then, I've put 1700+ miles on it and am very happy with it. While not the cheapest option around for the part spec, I think Cannondale's System Integration approach has real value. This frame represents the pinnacle of Al design and is worthy of upgrades until something becomes an option.

This is my first road bike purchase in 20 years, so I don't have the most experience in this area - yet.