Cannondale CAAD9 6 Road Bike

• Crank: Shimano Tiagra, 39/53
  • Chain: Shimano 9-speed
  • Headset: FSA alloy integrated, 25mm top cover

David Perry   [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

Great stability and handling... excellent accelleration... I adjust the shifting myself and don't know the first thing about components - I have the tiagra though... I love the weight and would argue it is super light and not much heavier than bikes that cost 1000s more.... I also ride once per week only. I also have the rims drilled to fit that shrader valve and heavier tubes and green gunk. So mine is a little heavier.

not sure there is any

I am a weekend warrior and a runner. So cycling and me don't fit ... This bike is such a machine... When I am super tired I can sprint and not feel like I went out hard enough at the end.... the biggest difference from the old to this one, is that I always have strength to finish strong and in a sprint.... I thouht it was my vitamins at first. It makes me feel young at 43.

Steven   Triathlete [Jun 15, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff frame with a good fork.
Excellent power transfer.
No flex.

Wheels are cruddy, shifters will need upgrade nafter that, and the stock seat is really bad.

I fell in love with my Caad9 and haven't looked back in 2 years. Stiff frame with great power transfer. No flex, and tough as heck, but reasonable on bumpy roads. I switched out all the tiara stuff for a full Ultegra groupo and am very happy I did. Seat was really bad. The fork is very good. Seat post is my next upgrade. Wheels were horrible, and need immediate replacement with some Eastons. Spend about 400-600 on the SLX90 or comparable. get some good Conti Gators or 4000s tires and you're set. The other posters are absolutely right you buy this bike for the FRAME with plans to upgrade along the way, which I have done. LOVE my Caad9.

Similar Products Used: Trek Hybrid
traydawg   Recreational Rider [Jan 18, 2011]
Strength:

The frame! Stiff & comfortable.

Stock heavy and clunky Tiagra 9 speed drivetrain. Seatpost weighs 12lbs. :)

After talking with some friends that have ridden for awhile and reading some great articles on this bike, I took the plunge into road biking. This has been a GREAT bike overall. I bought this bike for the frame and I have not regretted the decision. I have since upgraded most everything else to lighter, faster components. This bike makes me smile every time I turn out of my driveway.

LA Longhorn   Recreational Rider [Jan 17, 2011]
Strength:

Fast, light and responsive, without being too harsh.

Cheap stock seat and tires. See if the LBS will let you swap them out.

The 2010 CAAD9 6 in Pearl White is easily the best bike I've ever owned; fast, light and responsive, and a heck of a bargain even new (list is around $1150, but I recommend looking for last season's model or picking one up slightly used). The only reason I didn't rate it a full 5/5 is that Cannondale skimped a bit on some of the components; you'll want to replace the uncomfortable seat and crappy tires immediately. Other than that, this bike is definitely a best buy.

Lumberlung   Road Racer [Sep 02, 2009]
Strength:

Cunego won the Giro on this frame. Nuff said.

The components will need to replaced if you are serious about racing or performance. But this is still a pretty affordable way to get a top tier racing bike.

Price was in Canadian dollars. Great frame—probably one of the best values for money going. Fast, stiff, responsive bike. I've been riding this bike for just over a month. It's great climbing hills and very efficient; I can feel my energy translating to crank then wheels then road.

Samuel   Road Racer [Aug 25, 2009]
Strength:

Light
Speed
Durability

Clicks from cassette in high gear (any suggestions?)

The bike is light, fast, and the best bang for the buck. I am an old MTB guy and I was never a fan for the Roadie. Everything about the bike is great. For the price, the components are great, but will need upgraded within the next year. The saddle is more than adequate for myself. Although to ride more, I will need to purchase some shorts ;)

Similar Products Used: none
Zachariah   Recreational Rider [Jul 23, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, light, seatstays are NEARLY compliant as full carbon, Cannondale's unparalleled aluminum craftsmanship

Looks FAST...rides even FASTER!!!

This review is for the 2009 model Cannondale CAAD9/7. At under a grand- where else can one find a race-ready frame and fork that can be easily built to Tour de France weights(14.95lbs)?

I test rode many bikes, and found the CAAD 9 had the perfect blend of power, lateral stiffness, weight and high-speed stability only found in high-end CF superbikes(Cervelo, Pinarello, Wilier, Orbea, Ridley).

Your $940 MSRP gets you a top notch frame and fork. Ditch the rest for Dura Ace, RED or Record and you'll have a World Cup racer on a budget!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Synapse Carbon1 Dura Ace
Specialized Allez Sport 105
Jamis Ventura Race 105
Fuji CCR-2 Ultegra
marzocchiz2   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2009]
Strength:

Light, smooth for aluminum, responsive, stable, quick turning, low price

slightly rough fork, carbon/alu seat post

2009 CAAD9 7 (closest category)
I bought this bike for the frame. I had a Cannondale 2.8 frame that was at least 10 years old and a bit small for me, built with fairly new Shimano Ultegra. I swapped the parts to the new frame, weight is about the same as the old bike, maybe a little lighter but thats only from holding the bike in my hand. This new frame is so much smoother than the old one. It still responds to pedal input as quickly as the old frame but it soaks up the road bumps better. I actually thought my rear tire was under inflated on my first few rides because I wasn't feeling the bumps and cracks in the pavement like I did on the old frame. I was worried that the larger fork rake would make the bike less maneuverable but it can still make tight turns at high speed and feels very stable on straight roads. The new fork is more rigid than the old one, I feel the road more but it's not too rough. I might replace it in the future. I'm not a fan of the carbon/aluminum seat post that came with the bike. I have a feeling it weighs more than a cheap alu post. I will probably change it soon.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale 2.8
Motobecane from the early 70s
Fuji from the late 70s
Adam   Road Racer [Apr 22, 2009]
Strength:

This bike is solid. My current setup now has it weighing in at a few ounces under 20lbs. It handles quickly, responds well, takes bumps like a champ. It's reasonably fast, although it could stand to have a new wheelset and tires to make it even better.

Tires are good for training but slow otherwise. Stock seat sucks - replace it with anything else. Seatpost is carbon-wrapped alloy, which is stupid, but not a big deal. Components were all 9-speed, which means there is no upgrade path to better-than-Tiagra components unless you replace almost everything on the bike... but I think the quality of the frame makes it worth considering doing that.

first: This review is actually for the 2008 CAAD9 R6, but the system only went up to 2007... not sure why.
Anyway, I've had this bike for a year and have put probably 800-1000 miles on it, mostly just in training rides and one century ride. I bought it right before my first century last year and it didn't let me down. This year I have been slowly replacing all the Shimano Tiagra parts with Ultegra ones - so far I've put on a compact crankset, & ultegra chain/front derailleur. The rest of the parts for the 10-speed conversion including ultegra shifters are on the way.

Similar Products Used: I test rode some other brands, Allez, Lemond, and even the CAAD R9 which came with a triple crankset, but I'm glad I went with this one.
Mike Adams   Road Racer [Sep 10, 2008]
Strength:

Price, Handling, reliability

Long rides, weight

I purchased this Bike as a training/bad weather Bike to keep from cleaning my SuperSix and wearing it out. The Ride is what one would expect from a low end road bike. This Bike will get the job done and is comfortable enought if your doing a 80-100 mile ride, but more then that you'll feel it compaired to a top of the line carbon frame bike. The Bike is comfortable, reliable, and handles good enought to use it in a Crit. I only replaced the stock Shimano wheels with Reynolds Solitudes.