Cannondale R500 Triple Road Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Cane Creek S-2
Front Der: Shimano Tiagra
Crankset: TruVativ Touro A1, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano 105 SS
Pedals: Wellgo road w/clips and straps
Tires: 700 x 23c Hutchinson Flash

Hang me out to dry   Recreational Rider [Jul 11, 2017]
Strength:

Stiff and responsive. Gets you up hills. Great acceleration.

Lil heavy these days. Downtubes (though indexed). Felt a bit stretched out on the bike. 7 speed.

1993 Canny:

For my first road bike, this decades old frame was excellent. In fact if the bike was an 8 speed (and maybe a size smaller), I'd have kept it. The fact that it's becoming increasingly difficult to find 7 speed cassettes at bike shops around me is a bit of a problem, too.

If you can find this bike for $200, and you want to get into road racing, this bike is excellent value for the money.

Similar Products Used: Trek R500
Adam   [Jun 27, 2013]
Strength:

Stiff frame, eats up hills.

Funky shifter, needs other upgrades.

This is an all and all great frame. After new bars (Randonneur World Championship), a new bottom bracket, and new saddle I feel tuned in. Takes hills like a goat. Hope you like to work on bikes because this one needs a lot of wrenching. RSX brake levers are awesome but the RSX derailers suck. Mine came with Mavic wheels and believe these are the best wheels I've ever rode on.

BlueGrassBlazer   Recreational Rider [Apr 19, 2011]
Strength:

Strength and reliability,.

Heavy and a bone shaker. RSX shifters not very responsive

Old '97 R500 T with RSX shifters and rear derailleur and a 105 front. All aluminum bone shaker with Mavic CXP10 rims. The bike is a tank. I've hit pot holes and pounded that bike for 14 years and the wheels are true and only needed occasional tune ups. I finally lost the stem and went with a much more forgiving, upright stem, went with a Brooks b17 saddle and 25 tires. All these finally smoothed out the ride and made it much more comfortable. The gears are starting to go so I'm looking for a new bike with more upright geometry but this has been a real workhorse and will be relegated to a winter trainer bike.
Great bike!

erik   Recreational Rider [Aug 03, 2010]
Strength:

stiff frame, light, sexy, great power transfer

dents easily (2.8 aluminium) paint chips easily

overall its a good bike for the money, but good thing it didnt come with crappy rsx but it came with slightly older 105 circa late 90's. but for a cannondale from 1996 its really good. all i had to do is put some new sti shifters (why did the previous owner put downtube shifters on it when it came with sti?)

Similar Products Used: 1993 diamondback expert tg and 1994 trek 2300
John Recklies   Triathlete [Aug 02, 2010]
Strength:

Strong Frame
Responsive and smooth rear d

Stock Gipiemme wheels are heavy
Brakes needed instant replacement

This is my first bike i actually owned. The is in good shape and i was able to adapt well. I took it to a bike shop and had a few changes made but all in all it is a great stock bike to start. i replaced the stock wheel set with A Class AXL 220's. Not high end but better than the Gipiemme's

Similar Products Used: N/A
Jim Eliopulos   Road Racer [Sep 30, 2009]
Strength:

Stiffness is amazing. I am able to keep up with and out sprint much stronger riders.
I have wrecked once and besides some paint scuffs this bike just keeps going. It has outlived my "new" carbon frame by many many years.

I have wrecked onec and besides some paint scuffs this bike just keeps going. It has outlived my "new" carbon frame by many many years.

Weight is my biggest concern. My 58cm is comparable to most mountain bikes weighing in between 23-25 lbs. because of this and the older smaller bottom bracket I feel like 10 to 20% of rider output lost when compared to newer lighter bikes.

This is a great starter bike. Built like a tank and heavy like one with the GIPIME wheel set this bike is surprisingly responsive for the weight. Very stiff making sprinting a joy. I have about 7000+++ miles on this bike now and use it for my weekday training. I now have an all carbon SuperSix and when comparing the two bikes the biggest difference I can see is the amount of input it takes from the rider to make the CAAD5 frame respond. Due mostly I would think to the bottom bracket size and weight.

Similar Products Used: Currently riding 2009 SuperSix.
robin   Road Racer [Sep 06, 2007]
Strength:

responsive and comfortable - most comfortable frame I've ever owned. I have over 4000 miles on the bike and it has held up very well with the exception of the items mentioned below:

Gipiemme wheels are heavy and hard to keep clean. Mine have started to crack around the spoke holes preventing proper spoke tenioning on the non drive side - time to change and hence the 4 rating below. I have also had problems with deraileur alignment

This is the bike that got me back into serious cycling. Great value for a superb bike.
Due to the cost of replacing the Gipiemme wheels and desire to move to a lighter frame I will be moving up to a System 6 but will keep this bike as a spare.

Similar Products Used: I own a Cannondale Slice Aero and a Cannondale Rush - they take alot of hard riding and all have performed flawlessly
ajez   Recreational Rider [Aug 10, 2007]
Strength:

I really like this bike

The brakes
Gipiemme wheels

I love this bike. A huge step from riding a Scott Sportster P3. It's so responsive, easy to handle and i think it's very fast as well.
Changed the Gipiemme T3 wheels to a pair of Mavic Ksyrium equipe, and got a complete new bike.