Cannondale SuperSix Road Bike

SuperSix

In 2008 Cannondale added a full-carbon model to their "elite road" line-up. The Super Six is Cannondale's first all-carbon made-in-the-US frame. The full monocoque front triangle is co-molded to the rear triangle resulting in high lateral rigidity while maintaining vertical compliance.

Jeff Stringham   [Aug 10, 2015]
Strength:

Overall, based on my experience, the Super Six is a very function road bike that should satisfy most serious or recreation riders. The bike handles very well, responds well without feeling overly 'twitchy'.

Durability. Again, based on my experience, the Super Six is not a well constructed bike with a strong tendency to develop problems with the frame's integrity. After just over 2 year2, my Super Six showed a small crack where the top tube and seat tube meet. Soon after, there was another hairline crack on the seat tube. At this point I brought the bike to the local Cannondale dealer who said it might not be serious but still took pictures and contacted customer service at Cannondale. About a month later, while riding along on a flat road (I was in Florida so every road is flat) I hit a very small bump in the road and the seat post literally shattered. This bike has always been well cared for and was never crashed so there was no reason for the frame to fail so completely. I took the bike directly to the dealer and he said there was no evidence of any damage or abuse. This was the second Cannondale frame that I owed that failed.

Any frame can fail for a variety of reasons, what really matters is how well the company stands behind its product. Cannondale frames come with a lifetime guarantee against defects. Sadly, I have found that this guarantee is not worth much as Cannondale refused to honor it. The dealer I worked with in Port Charlotte, Florida, spent months trying to get the company to respond. He sent the pictures and other information that was requested on at least 3 occasions but the company never provided any information in return nor respond to the warranty request. The frame failure occurred on December 10, 2014. Finally, on August 8, 2015, eight months later, the company stated that they would not honor the warranty but refused to provide the dealer with an explanation.

I requested that the dealer give me the number so that I could contact the company directly, which I did the same day. I spoke to a service rep who was only able to talk to his superior but at first could not provide me a reason other than the refusal to honor the warranty was in line with "company policy". It was only after I pushed that they gave me any reason for their decision, and this was beyond belief.

The first reason that they denied the claim is that they said there was no evidence it was my bike. As this frame was a warranty replacement for the first frame that failed I had no bill of sale, in fact I was given no paperwork at all. I did however register the bike but the company had no record of it as they had already deleted all of the registration information for bikes registered in 2012 and before. Does that make any sense for a company that supposedly is offering a LIFETIME WARRANTY? Even the word of the dealer who originally delivered me the frame and his rep who still remembered the entire situation was considered "adequate proof" that I was the owner of the frame.

Their second reason is that they said that the bike must have been crashed and that the failure could not possible be the result of a manufacturer defect. This despite the fact that I said there was no crash damage to the bike and this was substantiated by the Cannondale dealer, who found no evidence at all of any type of damage caused by crash or abuse. The Cannondale rep asked the dealer what other parts were damaged and the answer was there were none. In fact all of the components and parts from the failed Super Six were immediately transferred to another frame as they were all in good working condition. The company's position essentially came down to saying that both the dealer and I were lying and that we were trying to take advantage of the company. The dealer said that he was not surprised as he has had nothing but trouble dealing with Cannondale on warranty issues since the company's change of ownership and hates dealing with them. On this I would agree. When I requested to speak to the individual who actually made the decision not to honor the warranty, he refused to speak to me.

Bottom line, although I did enjoy my Cannondale before the frame failed, it is not worth the irritation and annoyance of dealing with a company that will not honor their word. There dealings in this case were slow, vague and totally unprofessional. They do not appear to respect either their customers or their dealers so I will never own another Cannondale. Period. With so many excellent bikes on the market I would recommend that anyone looking for a new bike steer clear of Cannondale and work with a company that will actually keep its word.

Similar Products Used: Lynskey Helix, Lynskey Sportive
Biga   Recreational Rider [Jan 09, 2013]
Strength:

Everything so far.

The seat feels weird but maybe I need to get used to it.

I love this bike so far compared to my old Fuji Roubaix Pro and the other bikes I test rode. I bought this bike to help me with road vibration and comfort. The Fuji was eating me alive on long rides and something had to be done. I found this bike was much more comfortable the the geometry of the frame fits me like a glove. The stock components are great and should suffice me for years to come.

Similar Products Used: Fuji Roubaix Pro
Jon   [Sep 19, 2012]
Strength:

Goes where it's pointed. All day comfort. Excellent value out of the box. Good mix of standard parts. Killer paint scheme.

None that I have observed.

I bought this as an upgrade from a giant defy 1 and cannot be happier with my choice I used this bike on a one week bike trip in August called the Bon Ton Roulette in new York. What an amazing ride. The bike handled and shifted perfectly. Standard mavic ksyrium wheels can really roll on the downhills. The only upgrade I will be exploring would be possibly a different seat. Not for any other reason but seats are relatively cheap and there is always a better seat for my buttocks.

Flbikejunkie   Recreational Rider [Apr 05, 2012]
Strength:

Light, fast, and comfortable

Should upgrade the Tektro brakes and even though I have had no trouble with the RS10 wheels there are many reports of spoke problems online. I am using the wheels on my Bianchi without trouble.

Bought this bike last fall and got extra off for the end of season clearance. Full 105 group which is equivalent to Ultegra 6600 which I have on my Bianchi. I have since upgraded the brakes and the rear dérailleur to Ultegra. I have upgraded the wheels to Vuelta Corsa lite. This bike combines the best features of all my bikes into one. It is comfortable like my titanium and steel bikes. It is stiff and fast when I need to hammer on a fast group ride. It is also the lightest of my bikes. I have ridden a century on the bike and although you're tired at the end, I did not feel all beaten up.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Via Narone with full Ultegra, Tommaso T1 titanium with 105, Bianchi campione steel with Ultegra, Cannondale R400 with 105/Ultegra mix
Ferdinand Arcinue   Recreational Rider [Sep 21, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, efficient, comfortable.
Pricepoint and specs are decent. Best value would be the supersix with rival.

Short head tube. Cannondale should think about a more sloping compact with a little more headtube length. My saddle to bar drop is about 2 inches, and that's with max spacers.

This is my first carbon bike after riding a titanium litespeed for 8 years and a custom steel landshark for 10+ years. I was shocked to feel the difference. Aside from dropping about 5 pounds of weight, the supersix is both stiffer and more comfortable than either my ti or steel bikes. It was really surprising. I've ridden 3 centuries this past summer, and was 100% comfortable on not so smooth roads. More importantly, this bike is so stiff and efficient. No energy wasted, no upshifts on hills, no noticeable flex whatsoever. At the same time, bumps and road chatter are fairly cushioned. This may also be due to my Hed wheels. The bike also feels lively and responsive. Very stable and neutral in the corners and fast downhills too. All in all, this is a great all around bike.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed Siena
Landshark, custom steel
Isaac   Recreational Rider [Aug 26, 2011]
Strength:

Reponsive, frame quality, weight, comfort.

I thought a better wheel could have been used from the start. otherwise I knew what I was getting when i signed up for the 105 setup.

Love this bike! Went in thinking about a Caad10 or Synapse apex but When Alan brought this bad boy he made me an offer I could not refuse. With July and August still ahead of me i knew it was time to upgrade from m 05 Lemond.

The bike is very responsive even with the basic setup and wheelset. I noticed a difference right away. I was thinking about upgrading from the RS10 that were standard to Mavic Ksyrum or Easton EA50 after riding her a few times. Then i had a little accident and need to replace the wheels. with a little help from American Express and Roy's i now have Rolf Prima Echelon wheels. They are amazing felt a difference right away.

Very happy with this ride and Cannondale offeres many variations based on budget. Cant wait for my first century.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Trek 1000
2008 Lemond Etape
2005Lemond Buenos Aires
Bumpstop   Road Racer [Jun 14, 2011]
Strength:

Frame is rigid where it counts, yet more compliant than ancient steel.

It'll cost the farm to replace the frame should it ever crack. Mavics are heavy and don't like to spin compared to current wheels.

Bought this bike second hand off Ebay after about 3 months of research. I weight 150 lbs, 51 years old, 5 ft 10 inches. Last bike was (don't laugh) a 1980 Raleigh Grand Prix. I went for the 56 cm frame, which was indicated by several bike fit websites, but would probably be more comfortable on a 54 - its a bit of stretch out to the drops. I've ridden it 3,500 km in the year I've owned it.
I can't get over the direct sense of force->acceleration the frame provides. It is amazing. This bike is too good for me, but I hope to do it proud. Mavic Krysium Elite wheels (circa 2007-08) are heavy at 1800 gms, and not particularly resistant to flex, but are solid and haven't required any tuning. Even Specialized's marketing shows this bike as one of the stiffest frames available in 2008, yet the ride is certainly less harsh that the good ol' Raleigh. Haven't had any problems w quality of the carbon/finish. I couldn't stand the stock Fizik Arione saddle, replaced it with Aliante.
Great bike for going very fast on, stable yet quick response in corners and on descents. Certainly not 'aero' but it's not a TT bike. Indescribable when the rear tire breaks loose/front pops up under acceleration!
Gave it a "4" overall rating, as I'm sure there is now something "better" out there, if you can justify that kind of expense.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Versailles (2007) - offers similarly compliant ride, may not be as stiff.
kcroadrider   Recreational Rider [Jun 03, 2011]
Strength:

Nice finish
strong, audible click noting entry/exit
very secure

Perhaps a little too much force required for disengaging?
painted aluminum body will show dings soon

In buying a new ride recently, I had to make a decision regarding pedals. I'd long ridden Look pedals, and had no complaints. But our club has Mavic as a sponsor, and it made sense to consider their product. It meant buying two sets of pedals, because I also needed to replace my badly beat up old Looks on my old, trusty steed. After a bit of back-and-forth, the Mavic Race pedals came to adorn my new Scott Addict R2. Design and function of the Mavic Race pedals are quite similar to the Look Keo pedals. Instead of two smaller springs providing the resistance for clip-in/clip-out, Mavic uses one larger spring. The Race pedals are easily adjusted with a 3mm hex on the base of the pedal.

On initial use, I was concerned that the force required to engage and disengage was too great, but on subsequent rides I've concluded that while it may take a slightly greater force than on my old Looks, it's still reasonable, and my foot is probably more secure, to boot. (Couldn't resist pun--sorry!) Float is 7 degrees as standard, though there is an option with other cleats to have no float (something I do not recommend). The main body is aluminum, with carbon composite interface plates. The cleats have a grippier set of points where they meet the ground, a nice touch available on Look Keo cleats, but as an option. I've already noticed much less "skating" when having to walk around in my cycling shoes. The foot action required to clip in or clip out of the pedal is very similar to what I am long used to with the Looks. Very slightly different angle of entry and motion required, but not so much that I cannot clip in as I leave a stoplight without looking down to find the pedal, etc. Weight of one pedal is the same as the Look Keo 2 Max--130g. Look reports that the K2M, cleats, screws, and all, comes in at 328g. I got 321g when I weighed the Mavics as a complete set-up pair. (But don't count that weight as gospel; the scale I used hails from a previous century and according to my wife isn't entirely accurate.)

No hot spots, no difficulties getting cleats positioned on shoes.

They seem more than adequate as comparable pedals to mid-road Look Keo 2 Max, at a slightly lower cost. Suitable for racers or hard rec riders, though serious racers will likely look for a lighter pedal.