Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 Road Bike

Synapse Carbon 5

• Frame: Synapse monocoque full carbon, S.A.V.E.
  • Fork: Synapse monocoque full carbon, S.A.V.E.
  • Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick, 700 x 23c, foldable
  • Chain: KMC, DX-10SC
  • Shifters: Shimano 105

GazMan   Recreational Rider [Nov 11, 2012]
Strength:

Ride / comfort, SAVE micro-suspension technology actually works. Performance.

None so far.

First carbon frame after stepping up from a Giant OCR2 (105 groupset / Shimano wh-560 wheels).
Noticeable improvement in ride comfort, century rides had me aching (back / neck / butt). Certainly able to maintain a higher speed (2-4kph) on the flat, hills are easier to ascend, downhill about the same as the OCR2. Big difference was speed into / out of corners, Giant had to have a precise line when cornering fast, Synapse at same / greater speeds seems to be more forgiving...that stood out. Less vibration through the handlebars meant hands didn't get as numb. As I purchased the Cannondale without the wheelset, I preferred the WH-560's (off the Giant) over the Aksiums, this is truly a frame performance comparison and there was a discernible improvement for sure (for $2k+ there would need to be right!) and I'm not disappointed. Rider profile: weekend warrior (lots of hills), mag-trainer during the week, 6'1" & 220lb and ride with a very competitive peleton. Bike weighs in at 7.9kg without pedals and with WH-560 wheelset / Conti GP4000s tyres / medium weight tubes. Happy with bike, you bet....it's a pleasure to ride. Rated 4 stars..I'm a hard scorer.

Similar Products Used: Giant OCR2 2006 model - full Shimano 105 (5600 edition) groupset, 50/34t compact crank, 11-26t 9sp. Shimano wh-560 wheelset / Conti's.
OVERALL
Jeff Waibel   Recreational Rider [Feb 07, 2010]
Strength:

This bike has a great component mix at this MSRP. The comparable Specialized Roubaix had an MSRP $200 more. The Cannondale Synapse frame is very comfortable. It allows you to be racy when you want - and relaxed when you need a brake. Even fully loaded with 2 full water bottles, lights, fenders, & a tool bag - my bike is still only 25 pounds. That makes it nimble enough for quick acceleration when I need it. I can comfortably ride with no hands. It feels stable. It's not as twitchy as many carbon bikes. I believe Cannon's front fork really highlights their dedication to ride quality. I may eventually upgrade drive-train components - but the frame is a keeper!

OEM San Marco saddle is lame. Most people will want to change that. The OEM life on the Mavice Fuse tires is only about 800 miles. The carbon wrapped seatpost is cheap compared to what you get from Trek or Specialized at this MSRP. I'd have preferred snappier wheels - but the OEM Mavics are good enough (especially at this price)

I bought a 2008 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 in the winter of 2009 from a shop that was going out of business (for less than cost). I've put about 1500 miles on this bike. I have almost nothing bad to say about it! I've experimented with numerous upgrades over the first year - but not because the bike desperately needed changing. This is a light comfortable bike - suitable for a wide range of riding styles. I do a lot of tough hill riding. Most rides are 20-35 miles without issues.

Similar Products Used: I've ridden Specialize Roubaix, Trek Pilot series & Giant OCR. The Roubaix is the market leader in relaxed geometry carbon road bikes. The Trek was nice. The Giant was twitchy. The Cannondale delivers pretty much the same quality as the Roubaix plus you get to be unique from the Specialized crowd.
OVERALL