Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road Bike

• S.A.V.E. TECHNOLOGY
  • RADIAL BUTTED TOP & DOWN TUBES
  • Si ALL CARBON CRANK

Philo99   [Mar 20, 2013]
Strength:

Lightweight, and comfortable

Wheelset

I had read the poor reviews about the wheelset on this bike and then became a victim of it's poor quality. My rear hub locked up after 9 months and caused so much damage to the frame that the bike was no longer ridable.

Cannondale refused to honor their warranty even though the damage was caused by the poor quality of the wheelset they chose.

Cody   [May 12, 2012]
Strength:

Great bike, love it. Have had less than a year but loving what time I put on it and between the mountain bike too. Quite and shifts great. But I also keep up on tunning it up.

The wheel set is the biggest downfall to the bike. Have not had any problems with them but there is better. Looking to replace with a set of zipps or ritchey wheels.

Before she left the shop I got from I had them take the techro brakes off and install shimano 105s. Much better brakes but a bit heavier, willing to deal with the grams differance.

Zombie John   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2012]
Strength:

Fit and finish, frame, smooth ride, good components

The wheels are pretty basic but I've never had and trouble with them at all.

This was my first road bike so I can't really compare it to anything but I can say that I really like this bike. I did a century on it my first season and had a great time. It's very little maintenance, just keep the chain clean and lubed.

Rides great and gets compliments. I love my Synapse.

RRam   [Feb 22, 2012]
Strength:

Comfort, an all day ride.

A bit pricey.

Comfortable without sacrificing the get up and go.

dkervny   Recreational Rider [Feb 21, 2012]
Strength:

smooth ride and comfortable cockpit for distance rides

not a pedal pounding machine

awesome ride. if you like same cushion while maintaining speed and agility, this is the bike. the bowed chainstay really does absorb a lot of the road. it's quick on the turns when it needs to be and doesn't give up too much energy on the climbs. the tubing is oversized and the pictures don't show that well but i have no problems with that.

John Smith   [Feb 16, 2012]
Strength:

Riding Position, frame comfort

Shimano wheelset

I bought the Carbon Synapse 5 two years ago after riding a steel bike for 20+ years. I tested several bikes (Cervelo, Trek, Scott) before buying the Cannondale. The main difference was the riding position. Due to the headset height, I did not have any back issues, even after 2-3 hours in the saddle. Some of the Cervelo's were more of a racing position than the Cannondale. Also the comfort of the carbon soaked up many of the bumps (and potholes) on the local roads.

Kevin   Commuter [Nov 12, 2011]
Strength:

Light, comfortable, fast for a commuting bike, and looks great to boot!

The tires that came with it were prone to puncture flats.

After researching many, many bikes in this price range, I settled on the Cannondale. It is, by far, the best bike I've ever owned. I use it to commute 40 miles a day, 5 days a week to and from work. It is the perfect combination of fast, reliable, and comfortable. The only negative comment I have is the tires that come with it were prone to flats, so after 1,500 miles and a number of puncture flats, I converted to Aligator Skins. I purchased it locally so I could get properly fitted to the bike. It is an outstanding bike well worth the price! I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a road bike in this price range.

N Reader   Recreational Rider [Sep 17, 2011]
Strength:

Quality, fit and finish. Comfortable ergonomics. Value

Saddle maybe. Paint chips easily around dropouts. My wife thinks the white handlebar tape is dumb.

Purchased Synapse Carbon 5 this summer after watching the TDF. I have a mountain bike I have been riding for years but wanted a road bike. I am 37 and wanted to be sure the bike wouldn't beat me up but would still feel light and fast. Read many reviews on this site and considered Specialized Roubaix as well as Cervelo RS, Scott CR-1 and various Trek Models. Felt the Synapse 5 gave me the best value for my needs. Test rode the CR-1 in a larger frame size, nice bike - Roubaix was very comfortable but with mostly 105 stuff it was $500 more - I wasn't interested in the Apex model. Have been very happy with the bike, it isn't super soft over bumps but is very manageable and feels nicely connected to the road - plenty light and strong. I like the green/white/carbon look. Bike shop fit me very well and I am really comfortable during and after long rides. The saddle pinched my inner thighs - this got worse over time so I swapped the saddle - probably an individual ergonomic kind of thing. I had a noise coming from the drivetrain initially when on the small front chainring but that has gone away. Overall very pleased - just need to work less and ride more.